• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Long Hair

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
No, not the hair, the scalp. Like someone could die if they were covered in paint all over because the skin wouldn't be getting oxygen. (I thought I saw something like that at least.) I'm not saying long hair would make me die, but when I was younger I had a really bad scabby dandruff problem that mom says is because of my hair.
Ah, dandruff I can believe. But the amount of oxygen exchange through the skin is TINY and having long, thick hair isn't enough to prevent that from happening. If you're concerned with dandruff, get a good dandruff shampoo. Just be sure to use conditioner afterward b/c dandruff shampoo tends to strip away all the natural oils and such that keeps long hair manageable & free of split ends.

Last edited:

Amirrah

Telnac, you have the longest, softest hair I've ever seen on a guy. Seriously, if more guys (and gals) could & would take care of their hair the way you do, the world would be a better place and long hair would be a lot more common. -purr-

That said, where do you get your shampoo / conditioner / leave-in conditioner, and what brands do you use? I'm getting very frustrated with cheap junk that weighs my hair down, or strips it dry, making it more likely to break or less shiny. Experimenting with expensive brands is making no real difference and only putting a hole in my wallet.

There's no real point in me continuing to grow my hair out unless I can make sure it's strong, healthy, and attractive.

Sponge Cat, thank you for the link you shared. I was planning to dye my hair because I wasn't considering the impact that would have on me growing it out longer. I never use blow dryers, and I follow most of those tips, but it's good to be reminded before I do years worth of damage.

Ah, dandruff I can believe. But the amount of oxygen exchange through the skin is TINY and having long, thick hair isn't enough to prevent that from happening. If you're concerned with dandruff, get a good dandruff shampoo. Just be sure to use conditioner afterward b/c dandruff shampoo tends to strip away all the natural oils and such that keeps long hair manageable & free of split ends.

Is it also damaging to hair to shampoo and conditioner EVERY day?

Jude

U1 S7 P106
I didn't get a single haircut from age 10-14. From there, I went to medium length hair, and just a few days ago, I said "FUCK IT" and got it cut short. I love it this way.

Monster.

The future Mrs. Schmuck
Is it also damaging to hair to shampoo and conditioner EVERY day?
It depends. If you have greasy hair, you should shampoo/condition every day. If your hair is dry, do it every other day. I also find that using a different shampoo for every wash keeps it healthier. That's me, though.

It depends. If you have greasy hair, you should shampoo/condition every day. If your hair is dry, do it every other day. I also find that using a different shampoo for every wash keeps it healthier. That's me, though.

You mean like, strawberry flavored Suave versus kiwi flavored Suave? :eek:

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
I wish there was a shampoo that was just this for the ingredients: water, whatever cleans the crap out of your hair, nothing else.

Monster.

The future Mrs. Schmuck
I wish there was a shampoo that was just this for the ingredients: water, whatever cleans the crap out of your hair, nothing else.
I'm pretty sure that's called Residue-Free Shampoo. It's good for when you have dreadlocks or really, really greasy hair.

Shay Feral

Child of Babylon
My hair is a lil bit longer than shoulder length and a bit curly.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Telnac, you have the longest, softest hair I've ever seen on a guy. Seriously, if more guys (and gals) could & would take care of their hair the way you do, the world would be a better place and long hair would be a lot more common. -purr-
Thanks! :-D
Wait, how do you know this?
She knows me irl. While it's safe to say she's had furry tendencies for years, I was the one who actually introduced her to the local furry culture and by extension the fandom overall.

That said, where do you get your shampoo / conditioner / leave-in conditioner, and what brands do you use? I'm getting very frustrated with cheap junk that weighs my hair down, or strips it dry, making it more likely to break or less shiny. Experimenting with expensive brands is making no real difference and only putting a hole in my wallet.
I've always liked Alberto V05 b/c it's cheap, reliable shampoo that doesn't over-strip my hair. But finding it after I moved to AZ has been a challenge for some reason so I've been using TRESemme b/c women I've known with thin hair have given it good marks. And I have to concur: it does a decent job.

As for conditioner, I'm very picky b/c most conditioners are 100% crap. Because my hair gets so dry so easily, I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner. It's not cheap & it's a bit hard to find but I think it's totally worth it. In AZ, I've only found it at Walgreens, for some reason.

Very true. I have thin, dry hair so I rinse frequently but only need to shampoo it once every three days or so. Doing it more often just makes my hair frizzy. Shampooing less often results in greasy, nasty hair that's just... yuk!

Hir

my name is lucifer, pleased to meet you.
mine is uhh

bellybutton length I guess

and very thick |3

it could probably comfortably inhabit several small mammals

Littlerock

numb with cold
Donating ponytails. Feels good man.

If you've got really thick hair, ponytails are best made with metal-less scrunchies. Get the name brands, you actually get what you pay for with hair ties.

Bloodshot_Eyes

Donating ponytails. Feels good man.

If you've got really thick hair, ponytails are best made with metal-less scrunchies. Get the name brands, you actually get what you pay for with hair ties.

I hate those metal ones... the elastic ALWAYS breaks at that little metal thingy... >_>

Monster.

The future Mrs. Schmuck
Very true. I have thin, dry hair so I rinse frequently but only need to shampoo it once every three days or so. Doing it more often just makes my hair frizzy. Shampooing less often results in greasy, nasty hair that's just... yuk!
I have thick, dry hair so I have to shampoo every other day, condition less often than that, and I have to use hair serum to keep my hair looking healthy and not so brittle.

Shred Uhh Sore Us

Unbreakable
Mine's about to my nipples.

Hair twirls ftw \m/

Also, Tresemme

Last edited:

coward67

I used to have shoulder length hair but when I was getting it done better... The hairdresser fucked up and cut my hair too short >:O It still looks good though. I wish I had waist length hair.

C

cad

My hair is... average at length I guess. It's not really long, but it isn't short either. It reaches to about the end of my neck. I'm not really sure if I can make it grow any further than that.
I dislike my hair being filthy and washes it every 3 days, that's about how long the shampoo lasts. Oh, and if I don't comb my hair regulary, I get lots of curls. Even if I do, though, it is still curly.
I've thought about dying it, but don't know if I'm going to go through with it, and besides, I've no idea what color it would be, probably black.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Where is the "Not This" button?
I keep wondering that. I <3 guys with long hair, they get an automatic +2 (of 10) attractiveness in my evaluation.

I'm female, but I do have ass-length hair, so I can say 1. it's not noticeably more work to take care of than shoulder length, unless you intend to braid it, which takes longer per length. 2. Mine took me about 3 years to get waist length, male hair grows slower so it might take up to 6 years. 3. Take a multivitamin if you don't already, vitamins are essential for strong healthy hair 4. wash it every other day, not every day, it's too much wear and tear and getting it dry is the worst part of having long hair. I always shower in the morning because if I showered at night I'd have to either blowdry for a long time or go to bed with wet hair, ew. BTW sleeping with your hair in a bun keeps it cleaner than sleeping with it loose where it can rub against your skin and pick up oils. 5. Use soft fabric-covered scrunchies and a bristle brush to inflict the least damage on your hair.

Last edited: