• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Looking for a tattoo artist

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joshkbosh

I'm looking for someone who does tattoo art. I'm looking to get a tattoo on my forearm. (Not entirely sure of what will look good as a tattoo though). I've seen people get their fursona's as tattoos (Which is my plan) in various styles and designs. I would like to get one of my character (Ref: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11127645/). It'll diffently include my signature gun, The ak-74m, and its likely that it might include something 420 related (Just stating that, to make sure the artist is comfortable ahead of time, but I'm not sure if I will include that yet). I'm currently browsing designs right now. When I find something I really like, I will make sure to write it here (or to the artist, if they choose to PM me).

Just a forewarning, I may tweak the design a little bit here and there. (Just minor edits, nothing huge). This will be with me forever. So I can't afford to have something that I wouldn't like in a few years, a few decades, etc.

Hopefully you can understand.

I have a budget of $30 (Possibly $40 for more complex designs).
Please, Post some referance images, but please make sure you include your tattoo designs (If you haven't done a tattoo design, then include some badge designs please).

Include your prices aswell. If you would like to contact me through PM, Please us FurAffinity's main site. I primarily use FA and my email, I most likely will not see your PM if it was sent through here. I will see your replies, as FAF sends me notifications directly to my inbox.

Thanks so much.

Sammacha

The one and only
you know, honestly you would probably be better off taking you character to an actual tattoo shop and having him sketch something out for you real quick. a lot of places, at least where I am at will give you an idea of what would fit , how it would look and what colours would work well on your skin and body shape. Then you can get a better more realistic idea of what would be attached to you for life.
Usually best if you come up with an idea you can describe or an example or something you might like etc.
While I love the idea of drawing tattoos for people this is often the best most reliable way.

ChapperIce

you know, honestly you would probably be better off taking you character to an actual tattoo shop and having him sketch something out for you real quick. a lot of places, at least where I am at will give you an idea of what would fit , how it would look and what colours would work well on your skin and body shape. Then you can get a better more realistic idea of what would be attached to you for life.
Usually best if you come up with an idea you can describe or an example or something you might like etc.
While I love the idea of drawing tattoos for people this is often the best most reliable way.

Agreed with this one. Even if you decide you still want to commission the work, you should still get a consultation to learn what would work best and work within that spectrum with your chosen artist.

Sammacha

The one and only
Agreed with this one. Even if you decide you still want to commission the work, you should still get a consultation to learn what would work best and work within that spectrum with your chosen artist.
Thanks chapper
You can even go see a tatto artist for an idea of what works and then come and hire someone.

J

Joshkbosh

While I agree with you 100%, This would not be possible in my current situation. I'm getting the tattoo done as a birthday present, as my friend is holding a "Tattoo Party". (Me, her, and a couple coworkers are all getting tattoos done, My friend fully paying for all of this). She want's to keep the artist a secret, promising that he/she is one of the best. (I'm not entirely familar with the local tattoo parlors, since this is my first time).

I don't think I can just walk into a tattoo parlor and ask for a drawing, without the intent of actually getting it done from there.

My friends suggestion was to find a design that I really liked, print it out, and show it to the artist at the party.

To be honest, I never had a tattoo done before. I'd always wanted to, but they are pretty expensive, and I'm really surprised that my friend is actually willing to pay for all of it. I don't really know what to expect, or how to explain/show that artist the design that I wanted.

ChapperIce

While I agree with you 100%, This would not be possible in my current situation. I'm getting the tattoo done as a birthday present, as my friend is holding a "Tattoo Party". (Me, her, and a couple coworkers are all getting tattoos done, My friend fully paying for all of this). She want's to keep the artist a secret, promising that he/she is one of the best. (I'm not entirely familar with the local tattoo parlors, since this is my first time).

I don't think I can just walk into a tattoo parlor and ask for a drawing, without the intent of actually getting it done from there.

My friends suggestion was to find a design that I really liked, print it out, and show it to the artist at the party.

To be honest, I never had a tattoo done before. I'd always wanted to, but they are pretty expensive, and I'm really surprised that my friend is actually willing to pay for all of it. I don't really know what to expect, or how to explain/show that artist the design that I wanted.

I still don't see why you can't schedule an appointment for a consultation. For the parlors in my area, they don't take walk ins for tattoos, you require an appontment for a consultation and THEN the work after payment is recieved.

I still think it's a good idea to ask a tattoo artist (perhaps on a forum even dedicated to tattoos) for advice for placement and color since it'd suck to commission a piece, bring it to the party, and find out it wouldn't work where you want it or with the colors.

That being said, good luck :) I've never drawn for tattoos before so I'm not comfortable offering my services for that myself. I also would ask to see the artist's portfolo at that party before you go ahead letting this secret artist you don't know anything about put permanant work on your body.

I also think you need to take in consideration that often the lines and then color are done at seperate times with tattoos so maybe just look for lineart for this artist, then either hire them at a later time for color or go to another one to add the color.

That's the extent of my tattoo knowledge.

Sammacha

The one and only
I still don't see why you can't schedule an appointment for a consultation. For the parlors in my area, they don't take walk ins for tattoos, you require an appontment for a consultation and THEN the work after payment is recieved.

I still think it's a good idea to ask a tattoo artist (perhaps on a forum even dedicated to tattoos) for advice for placement and color since it'd suck to commission a piece, bring it to the party, and find out it wouldn't work where you want it or with the colors.

That being said, good luck :) I've never drawn for tattoos before so I'm not comfortable offering my services for that myself. I also would ask to see the artist's portfolo at that party before you go ahead letting this secret artist you don't know anything about put permanant work on your body.

I also think you need to take in consideration that often the lines and then color are done at seperate times with tattoos so maybe just look for lineart for this artist, then either hire them at a later time for color or go to another one to add the color.

That's the extent of my tattoo knowledge.

Yes this is entirely true, and quite often they can give you a quick and rough idea of what you could get done (not that you could keep it with you, but it would give you an idea)

Its also usually ok to go in and find out how big you want it to be? What colours go well with your skin? Etc
some of them may charge a small fee but at least all the vital knowledge would be there

I mean the best thing you could do is walk into a shop, sit down with the guy and get a rough idea about that kind of stuff, or even like chapper says, try a tattoo forum.

However, if you would like a idea of a design you have slammed on paper I would be happy to offer my services. I would be happy to do a sketch for you, which you could take as an idea and have the actual tattoo artist build on it. I mean its not hard for him to choose the best colours based off your ref sheet etc. edit the idea to fit your body etc etc
again as chapper mentioned, i feel a sketch or a line art would be adequate for the tattoo artist.
I would be ok doing a coloured version if that really is what you want.

I would even be willing to sketch first, let you print it and put it on your arm before i colour it etc (separate payments). I mean getting a tattoo is a big deal, with something so custom I would prefer you allow the tattoo artist to change things based off their knowledge you know?

Also I need to know what kind of deadline this holds as well...

the closest thing i can show which is like a tattoo design is this traditional piece ( i have some others but they aren't posted, feel free to browse my gallery though)

http://www.sammacha.com/gallery/traditional/mythical/birds.html#Flaming-Pheonix-Feather

My price list is here if you are interested, please note the prices are in Canadian dollars.
http://www.sammacha.com/commissions/price-list.html

if you are interested you can pm me here, on the main site, or email me samanthalim@sammacha.com

ModifiedRabbit

Commission Artist
Well, i suppose im lucky to find this.
Im a certified tattoo artist on hiatus, so im only doing art atm.
I have samples of my actual tattoo work and have done many custom tattoo designs for people over the span of 7+ years.
Feel free to message me on my FA account if youd like:
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/modifiedrabbit
Id be willing to work with your 30$ budget and get you a nice lined version of your design for your artist as well as a grey shaded version. Lined and color versions together would be just a tad more.

A couple of Tattoo designs for people

Actual tattoo work:

ModifiedRabbit

Commission Artist
Also, to add to the conversation that i skimmed over:

I do recommend that you do research on the shops and artists in your area. Look at portfolios and make SURE they are certified and clean.
Most people do not realize just how clean a shop needs to be. What they need to do when they tattoo etc. They think household cleaners and some gloves and clean needles are all that matters. There are other things they need to do like bag clip cords and machines and to not touch things while working (like hair, phones etc.)
Its good to see if an artist has the style you like. Its also good to find artists that can do more than jst follow lines from a design you gave them. Too many cant draw on their own anymore and the work is a lot nicer when they can. Theyll know how to follow the lines even better and make any possible changes needed to whatever you bring in.
So be sure to do your research.
Dont go to any scratchers because you put yourself at high risk for infection or being scarred etc.

J

Joshkbosh

Thank you all for your responses. An artist has been selected. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.