• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Looking for a tutorial on top-heavy characters. Need help making back/front-view OC ref

Hi everyone,

I am writing this wondering if anyone, especially a fan of the "Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters", have any tips on drawing top heavy characters like Tatsurion the Unchained? (see "screenshot(s) of character" below)

On both Deviantart and Furaffinity accounts, I occasionally make submissions of my OC Kuraginhomura. (see "current ref of main OC" below) But every so often, I forget how to draw the head and the arms. Sometime in the future I am planning on making a new ref of my OC, a back/front view with clothes and wingspan(optional).

I once came across a tutorial on how to draw Tatsurion, but it unfortunately wasn't that helpful.

If anyone has any current tutorials on top-heavy characters, or planning on making a tutorials for kaijudo characters, any comments below would be most appreciated. (^w^)

screenshot(s) of character:

old attempt(s):

current ref of main OC Kuraginhomura:

Leroy

Gator-ade
The torso is an important starting place for most characters, but especially top-heavy ones. It's their most prominent feature and their center of gravity, so it's very useful to start by drawing that instead of say, the head. Starting with the head can sometimes lead to a "dangling puppet" effect.

Construction & gesture are going to be your bread & butter here, but it has to be used appropriately for the design. For a character that's composed of large shapes, try not to get lost in building the form with a bunch of small spheres or stickman bones. To identify the abstract shapes composing the character, try tracing over a screenshot of it to figure out the construction. Stay as big & simple as possible with the shapes you use. Drawing a 3-dimensional midline to indicate the center of a shape (i.e. torso) is important so you don't lose track of your surface. After that's established, add the limbs, neck, head, etc. while keeping the overall form in mind. It's always best to establish the broad strokes confidently instead of zoning in on details early on.

A good lesson on top-heavy characters is the Genie from Disney's Aladdin. He's composed of very simplified, streamlined shapes - his torso being one huge oblong swoop. You don't get any more top heavy than a huge guy with smoke for legs. :p There are model sheets & sketches of him out there if you look around, but I'll include a link to one here along with my own drawn breakdown. Hope this helps, bud!
top heavy dude.png