• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Looking for Canadian prices for CPU+Motherboard

Irreverent

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
And I was never a PC gamer. :p

I occasionally like to game on my PC, but that's not its primary function.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
I probably won't be gaming on a PC for too much longer either, unless they get DX10/11 going for WINE. :rolleyes: Ah well... thats why we have consoles.

Irre: No problem. :)

NetCat: By the way, love the standards thing in the sig. :p

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
I probably won't be gaming on a PC for too much longer either, unless they get DX10/11 going for WINE. :rolleyes: Ah well... thats why we have consoles.
I totally just downloaded Braid off of steam and run it under Wine with no problems. But yeah. I know the feeling.

NetCat: By the way, love the standards thing in the sig. :p
Hehe. Thanks.

Sneakers

I'm not a PC gamer, but had thought of getting some games that were coming out that need better equipment. Mostly I deal/use media on my computer...music, movie and images, and Flash and Illustrator.

As well as getting a video capture card....some decent device that lets me record cable TV, and video from game play from my Wii, or footage from my VCR, using A/V cables, but also having those compostive cables, or whatever the 360/PS3 uses. That is my other head-ache. I have one, but it was working at one second, then suddenly said it didn't detect the tuner device, and I didn't do anything to anything. :( I hate technology sometimes. :p

Sneakers

on NCIX, I picked the following

-Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9A 2GB 2X1GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Memory Kit - $58.70
-Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AMD785G mATX AM3 PCI-E DDR3 Video Sound GLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard - $92.40
-AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad Core Processor Socket AM3 2.6GHZ 2MB Cache 95W Retail Box - $129.99
Shipping - $13.98
Insurance - $8.43
GST - $15.18
Total - $318.68

Only thing...the ram is on back order, so am not sure how long it will take for it to get in.

hitokage

Acinonyx jubatus
The one Runefox linked was a retail package, but yes. That is true.
For some reason I didn't notice the items were linked, which is why I pointed it out. Actually, I'm thinking it may have been in case the OP found the same or a faster/better CPU, but didn't know why there was a price difference.

Sneakers

For some reason I didn't notice the items were linked, which is why I pointed it out. Actually, I'm thinking it may have been in case the OP found the same or a faster/better CPU, but didn't know why there was a price difference.

Actually, what Runefox listed helped me out. There was so many listed on there it made my brain spin. @.@ But I relooked, and saw for 190, I could upgrade the one he listed for this one

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.2GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM Retail Box - 190.19, and there is one below that for about 180. I figure since they are the same brand, they should be still good.

I just checked though, if I had the cash now, I could get the CPU Rune recommended for only 108.99...it's on a weekly sale. curse it :p Also, the ram Rune suggested are back in stock...got an email about it.

That makes the price I quoted drop down to $295.52. *sigh* If I can just make $300 in such a short time. :)

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
I'm not sure if the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition might also be too much for that motherboard - The 780G series had issues with 120W CPU's (due to far too loose power standardization), though I couldn't say for sure whether or not the 785G's suffer from the same problems.

Though, looking at the CPU support list, it officially supports the whole Phenom II line. If you really wanted to go for it, it would be much faster, but I'm not sure if you'd really have use for it if you're not really going to be stressing the system too much. It is another $90, after all, which depending on how you look at it is either a lot or very little (if we were talking Core i7 chips, you'd be spending much, much more than that for a lot less of a performance increase (well, considering that the Core i7's are more than double the Phenom II's and have somewhere around a 50% performance difference from the Phenom II's - They aren't cost-effective at all)).

Last edited:

Sneakers

I'm not sure if the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition might also be too much for that motherboard - The 780G series had issues with 120W CPU's (due to far too loose power standardization), though I couldn't say for sure whether or not the 785G's suffer from the same problems.

Though, looking at the CPU support list, it officially supports the whole Phenom II line. If you really wanted to go for it, it would be much faster, but I'm not sure if you'd really have use for it if you're not really going to be stressing the system too much. It is another $90, after all, which depending on how you look at it is either a lot or very little (if we were talking Core i7 chips, you'd be spending much, much more than that for a lot less of a performance increase (well, considering that the Core i7's are more than double the Phenom II's and have somewhere around a 50% performance difference from the Phenom II's - They aren't cost-effective at all)).

That's if I go that route...I don't know the CPU/Motherboard compatibility rate, that just proved it there. I am still thinking on what you suggested, but who know what prices the other may have, if any major changes in the next couple/few month when I get my income tax. Right now, til the 9th, it's under $300, but more to get it install up here by someone knowing what they are doing...and 318.xx at regular price, plus the same labour fee.