• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

MAG

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Public BETA/Demo is in PSN stores.
It is sexy, has lots of players (32v32 to start with) and doesn't lag like that shitbox MW2.
Yes, even Aussies can properly play MAG so you US and Europe dudes will have a supermega field day with it.

Last edited:

LotsOfNothing

Banned
Banned
It's because MAG uses dedicated servers. How else would there be 256-player matches?

I'm not playing at the moment because it keeps failing to connect. Maybe tomorrow.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Wasn't impressed the months I was in closed Beta, not impressed now.

Bokracroc

Foxstar

lol reggin
Explain plz

Clunky. People don't listen, laggy still, would be way better with mouse and keyboard, etc. But I guess it will have it's fanbase/clans/etc. I just don't know if all the money flushed in development will make it worth it.

Term_the_Schmuck

Most Interesting Man on FAF
Here's the problem with MAG's premise: It relies on the idea that most PS3 owners who will get this game have a mic. This is the sort of game that ABSOLUTELY requires some means of coordination. The problem is, mics still haven't become popular on the PS3. Just going into a game on MW2 will show you that, and it all ends up becoming some disjointed mess with guys running around everywhere with certain objective matches ending in a draw because one or two guys are actually playing the game while the other six or seven guys are just trying to find guys to shoot at. Expecting 256 people to have mics and be able to coherently communicate with each other is a tall order, especially with no built in leadership in a squad.

Jashwa

Here's the problem with MAG's premise: It relies on the idea that most PS3 owners who will get this game have a mic. This is the sort of game that ABSOLUTELY requires some means of coordination. The problem is, mics still haven't become popular on the PS3. Just going into a game on MW2 will show you that, and it all ends up becoming some disjointed mess with guys running around everywhere with certain objective matches ending in a draw because one or two guys are actually playing the game while the other six or seven guys are just trying to find guys to shoot at. Expecting 256 people to have mics and be able to coherently communicate with each other is a tall order, especially with no built in leadership in a squad.

This is where you're wrong. Each squad has a squad leader who sets objectives for the squad. They're clearly pointed out. Even if you don't have a mic and the ability to direct people exactly, you can still tell them "defend this point" instead of them just doing whatever.

I played the beta for a good few hours today without my mic on and with no one talking and there was still a great deal of coordination and we won every match.

Term_the_Schmuck

This is where you're wrong. Each squad has a squad leader who sets objectives for the squad. They're clearly pointed out. Even if you don't have a mic and the ability to direct people exactly, you can still tell them "defend this point" instead of them just doing whatever.

I played the beta for a good few hours today without my mic on and with no one talking and there was still a great deal of coordination and we won every match.

Aaaaaannnnnd what motivation does someone have to actually FOLLOW those orders? Let's assume someone actually has a mic on MW2 for example and everyone on the team can listen to that one person give out orders. It's not uncommon that people disregard those orders completely or mute the person so they can do their own thing. Unless MAG is instituting some sort of "Kick" feature for the squad leader that will allow you to get rid of people not following orders, then I don't have confidence in the system. Heck, even if they had that I'm sure it'll get abused.

Jashwa

Aaaaaannnnnd what motivation does someone have to actually FOLLOW those orders? Let's assume someone actually has a mic on MW2 for example and everyone on the team can listen to that one person give out orders. It's not uncommon that people disregard those orders completely or mute the person so they can do their own thing. Unless MAG is instituting some sort of "Kick" feature for the squad leader that will allow you to get rid of people not following orders, then I don't have confidence in the system. Heck, even if they had that I'm sure it'll get abused.
You get double xp if you're in the objective zone, as well as bonuses for actually winning the match and objectives.

Term_the_Schmuck

You get double xp if you're in the objective zone, as well as bonuses for actually winning the match and objectives.

This is the case for pretty much ALL online shooters.

Double XP still doesn't seem like that big of a deal when considering that most people will probably go onto the game just wanting to kill things. After playing online shooters on consoles and PCs, I've just got little to no confidence in actual team-based combat. The closest I've ever seen is L4D, but even then it gets old listening to 13 year old boys whining about how you stole their kill.

Jashwa

This is the case for pretty much ALL online shooters.

Double XP still doesn't seem like that big of a deal when considering that most people will probably go onto the game just wanting to kill things. After playing online shooters on consoles and PCs, I've just got little to no confidence in actual team-based combat. The closest I've ever seen is L4D, but even then it gets old listening to 13 year old boys whining about how you stole their kill.
But the most people are at the objectives. So therefore everyone goes to the objectives.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Looks like crap, plays like crap, will be crap.

I'm very, VERY disappointed in zipper interactive. I -loved- them and their SOCOM games.

Bokracroc

@ Term_the_Schmuck:
People.... actually... use mics properly in MW2??
With the amount of players in each match of MAG, it isn't too hard to find a group of people that will listen and use teamwork. One organised squad can take down 3 rambling ones. Heh, a lot of the time it's easy just to bunch up with 3 guys and go around. Playing as a Combat Medic, the smarter players hang around closer, they won't instantly hit Bleed Out and generally more credit to team.

Jashwa

Looks like crap, plays like crap, will be crap.

I'm very, VERY disappointed in zipper interactive. I -loved- them and their SOCOM games.
I disagree with all of these. It will at least be mediocre or moderately good.

OkamiOni

Harliquin Nightpaw
I enjoyed the closed beta. I'll probably get a copy so that I can play with a friend of mine who works next door to me.

joey2joey

The problem with mag (or benefit for me) is that people treat it like MW2, and end up not performing as well as they could.

Which is why I have teammates yelling about how they couldn't get many kills and freaking out over how I got so many kills.

Shark_the_raptor

I'm in love with a pizza.

If only PS3's came with headsets. :B

Also fuck having someone tell me what to do. I'll do support, but I expect some backup as well.

Term_the_Schmuck

If only PS3's came with headsets. :B

Also fuck having someone tell me what to do. I'll do support, but I expect some backup as well.

It's a shame they couldn't figure out how to just use Bluetooth technology from the start. You'd think that with the popularity of XBOX LIVE they'd have tried to make a standard mic system for the launch of the system. Instead people ended up having to use old SOCOM wired headsets, which for people like me was impractical because my PS3 is part of a home theater system. You only get about six feet of wire with that thing which clearly isn't enough with how big TVs are getting.

And yeah, like I was saying, people don't always like being told what to do, especially if the "team leader" designated is some 13 year old kid who sucks at the game. This game only played correctly if you're going in with a pre-existing clan in my opinion.