• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Magnifying the Universe

PsychicOtter

Otter Missionary
Just thought this was interesting and I know there are a lot of science fans here. It lets you zoom in and out of the Universe and compare the sizes of everything from protons to galaxy clusters and nebulae.
http://www.dentonslive.com/science-post-comparing-the-size-of-things-in-the-universe/
EDIT:Here's the orginial graphic (not from a religiously charged source):
http://www.numbersleuth.org/universe/

I now realize that the first link leads to a Christian/Creationist site, as evidenced by the homepage article ("Talking to Others About Jesus").

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
'now tell me you think the universe is some kind of event, big bang, accident in time and space,'.

Sorry, what?

Oh, it appears to be on a creationist website*, so it is ironic that the graphic they posted contains several proofs of the big bang, including the famous background radiation.

Still, though, pretty cool!

*Anyone else notice that adam and eve are on the scale at 1.68m?

Last edited:

PsychicOtter

Otter Missionary
'now tell me you think the universe is some kind of event, big bang, accident in time and space,'.

Sorry, what?

Oh, it appears to be on a creationist website*, so it is ironic that the graphic they posted contains several proofs of the big bang, including the famous background radiation.

I did notice the Adam and Eve thing (a little strange), but I didn't realize it was a creationist site. A friend just showed me the link. And no I am not a Creationist.

Last edited:

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR

Sorry, what?

Ah yes, the ever-so-awesome 'look at the clouds' argument.

Fallowfox

I did notice the Adam and Eve thing (a little strange), but I didn't realize it was a creationist site. A friend just showed me the link.

The text above, which essentially stated 'space is big therefore god instead of big bang,' made me suspicious so I checked the homepage and it was a jesus-fest.

I think the actual graphic is from another website though, so the graphic itself is probably intellectually honest.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned

Sorry, what?

Oh, that was unexpected to say the least.

PsychicOtter

Otter Missionary
The text above, which essentially stated 'space is big therefore god instead of big bang,' made me suspicious so I checked the homepage and it was a jesus-fest.

I think the actual graphic is from another website though, so the graphic itself is probably intellectually honest.

Just posted the original one.

Percy

o-o
I've seen something similar to this on a different website. It really is fascinating just how large and how small certain aspects of the universe can be.
The website itself being a creationist website also is somewhat intriguing, being it's willing to show this.

Fallowfox

http://www.numbersleuth.org/
...erm, I don't know why this thing is sponsored by a legal-stalking organisation?

In addition the collective which produced the graphic is called 'science is beautiful' and this is their first and only project they've ever made.

This all said, despite coming from a set of really weird sources it's actually pretty reliable, as far as I can tell.

The numbersleuth also appears to host a blog chocced full of questionable and psuedo science bullshit [they might have some reliable stuff too, but I'm operating a confirmation bias], such as 'vaccines might cause autism' [published in 2012]

Last edited:

Percy

o-o
Alternative version:

http://scaleofuniverse.com/

It also has Powers of Ten below it, a video from 1977 done in a similar style. Worth a watch.
Yeah, that was website I first saw the scale of the universe on. Very nice and peaceful music to go along with it.
But yeah, it's very interesting to know just how small we are in comparison to the universe... and how bit the universe is in comparison to, say, the Planck length.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Mind = expanded

Fallowfox

As well as space time is also expansive and just as bewildering.
It took 2 minutes to type this comment.
You might be 20 years old.
The common era began about 2000 years ago.
The last ice age was in full swing about 20,000 years ago.
There have been hundreds of ice ages, so now we're talking about tens of millions of years.
Trilobites existed about 400-500 mya
Stromatolites- colonies of photosynthetic bacteria- are fossils from about 3bn of years ago.
The earth is about 4.567 bn years old
The sun is even older, but it's not a first generation star, so stars existed for billions of years before it.
In fact the entire universe is at least 13.75bn years old.

...and the universe could continue to exist for Googols of years...

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
There have been hundreds of ice ages, so now we're talking about tens of millions of years.
Stromatolites- colonies of photosynthetic bacteria- are fossils from about 3bn of years ago.
The sun is even older, but it's not a first generation star, so stars existed for billions of years before it.

*frothing at the mouth and making grabbing motions at the air*

Cairn

Makes you wonder about how long we'll last. The human race, if it is able to spread out and move to other galaxies, could very well survive for a large portion of what's left of the universe's life. And, if we are able to spread out, there's no telling what evolution could bring. With that much time, it's very possible that humans could live to see other creatures evolve to our level of intellect or beyond.

Fallowfox

Makes you wonder about how long we'll last. The human race, if it is able to spread out and move to other galaxies, could very well survive for a large portion of what's left of the universe's life. And, if we are able to spread out, there's no telling what evolution could bring. With that much time, it's very possible that humans could live to see other creatures evolve to our level of intellect or beyond.

Average mammalian species in Geological record last ~1m

Modern humans have been around for ~0.2m at most, evidence of cromagnons by comparrison is just 40kya

Will we annihilate our selves, evolve into a diversity of other creatures, or continue a genetically similar lineage for many millions more years?

Saiko

GTWT Survivor

B-but the Bible says it was made in seven days and is only 10,000 years old! D:

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Alternative version:

It also has Powers of Ten below it, a video from 1977 done in a similar style. Worth a watch.

I always liked that one a lot more, it's a litte easier to read and actually goes down alllllll the way to the Planck length. So in terms of dimensions they really do cover all their bases, from the shortest possible length all the way to the edge of the observable universe.
The music that they play is also pretty damn good :p

Naturally that creationist site irks me though.... I hate it that people take all this and just use it to demonstrate how awesome their god is >__> And as Fallowfox said, they really are prodiding the evidence for the big bang right there on their own website :p

Alternative version:

Ah yes, the ever-so-awesome 'look at the clouds' argument.

I hate it... Every time you present actual evidence to these people they turn around and say "Oh well, see? That is just more evidence of how awesome god really is! :V"
If I hear that one more time I'm gonna start punchin' motherfuckers >:C

Alternative version:

A little bit cuter as it has animation.
I giggled at "minecraft world".
I'll be sure to spread the word about the two. These are amazing!

This is a great idea!
Has nobody made an interactive version like it yet?
If not, how about you contribute to its making?

Makes you wonder about how long we'll last. The human race, if it is able to spread out and move to other galaxies, could very well survive for a large portion of what's left of the universe's life.
Question "we". Are we the only sentient species in the galaxy? If not, we will either fight the other, or integrate.
Question "human race". If we integrate, then we aren't really the human race. Recent years have shown skyrocketing development in both genetic engineering and machinery - it might only take a few decades for us to see people who are partially machines, or people who have traits of other species on planet Earth(such as tardigrades, who are very resistant to both harsh temperatures and pressure - something that will obviously help us in the future, when space will become much colder and less dense). Will we still be the human race? Might as well go full cyborgs in a thousand years.
Question "the universe". Obviously enough, it'll take more than a hundred years for us to travel to the end of the current observable universe. Since this universe faces imminent(in seemingly infinite years) "death", we might have to travel from this one to another, be it parallel universes or time travel, whichever is available first. Conclusion is, if we actually get to live to that day, then we will certainly evacuate this freezer of a universe. I want to live to that day.

badlands

drunken pirate
now my brain hurts...

Cairn

Average mammalian species in Geological record last ~1m

Modern humans have been around for ~0.2m at most, evidence of cromagnons by comparrison is just 40kya

Will we annihilate our selves, evolve into a diversity of other creatures, or continue a genetically similar lineage for many millions more years?
I believe that if humans are able to colonize other planets and make them sustainable earlier enough, then it will become near impossible for us to annihilate ourselves.

I don't think it is very likely that we evolve into a "diversity" of other creatures. Will we continue to evolve? Yes. Will we evolve into different distinguishable species? Most likely not because of our mobility and willingness to procreate with people who are not the same as us. The only way I can see our genetic lineage splitting is if say one particular group gets isolated somewhere else in the universe for a long period of time by chance.