• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Make FA Site Announcement For Good Cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koorivlf

Koorivlf
If IMVU's Twitter is promoting these:

It would be a good idea to also promote messages like these via FA's site announcement system, since many people in the furry community deal with these problems and showing solidarity would be good for the community.

*Edit: A fundraiser or a redirect to fundraisers to support BLM would be fantastic
Maybe even get a use out of your shiny system if you want to do the "good pr" thing

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
As long as such classifications as "POC" are in use, half the job of racists is already done.

Last edited:

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Regardless of the intent, messages like this are very divisive.
Equal rights and treatment under the law shouldn't be, though. If it is, maybe we need to confront that division.

Koorivlf

Koorivlf
Regardless of the intent, messages like this are very divisive.

Yea, racism is divisive because we have a problem that needs to be addressed

Staying silent is saying that the bigots have a home on FA. FA's Parent company has already posted these messages so for FA not to is a deafening amount of silence in a community that is affected by said problems.

And FA's board/leaders are fine with making divisive actions on the site itself. The most current update was the banning of hate symbols in artwork in any context, which wiped out anti-nazi artwork denouncing the nazis. July 25, 2019 they finished their "Show Your Pride" contest which is a divisive issue because they were promoting the LGBT+ community, which is still an issue in the world.

If all 50 states + other countries are protesting in person about this issue during a pandemic, and said protests have even been near some of FA's leadership physically, it may be one of those times where it'd looked good for FA to say a thing

douglaskim

FA is one of, if not the biggest furry community around. It's as close as an internet home for many of us. It'd be nice to hear FA make a statement about racism and support the BLM movement.

Politics and Social issues are never a pleasant subject, but it has to be addressed.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned

Staying silent is saying that the bigots have a home on FA. FA's Parent company has already posted these messages so for FA not to is a deafening amount of silence in a community that is affected by said problems.

And FA's board/leaders are fine with making divisive actions on the site itself. The most current update was the banning of hate symbols in artwork in any context, which wiped out anti-nazi artwork denouncing the nazis. July 25, 2019 they finished their "Show Your Pride" contest which is a divisive issue because they were promoting the LGBT+ community, which is still an issue in the world.

If all 50 states + other countries are protesting in person about this issue during a pandemic, and said protests have even been near some of FA's leadership physically, it may be one of those times where it'd looked good for FA to say a thing
Let's not forget them not taking down actual nazi artwork just because it doesn't show a swastika or an SS symbol.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
A very worthy cause and a good way to help drum up support for the organisations and people hard at work fighting for equality :3

Also, I'd like there to be a reminder that we're still in a pandemic and social distancing must be adhered to, even at protests or public gatherings. I have seen a few videos around where people are not doing that and it makes me worried.

Fighting for a cause is great, but it's important to stay safe whilst you do it, as well.

Borophagus Monoclinous

The official prehistoric floofy woof of FAF

No.
Staying silent is being tactful and avoiding turning FA into a political platform. There are plenty of other outlets for your pent up activism.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
No.
Staying silent is being tactful and avoiding turning FA into a political platform. There are plenty of other outlets for your pent up activism.
Race isn't a matter of politics...it's not really something up for debate.
Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and equally.

If the fandom and FA wants to say they're inclusive, they must be seen to support something that encourages being inclusive and actively fights against racism and oppression. At the end of the day, it's not something that'll harm FA.

Borophagus Monoclinous

Race isn't a matter of politics...it's not really something up for debate.
Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and equally.

If the fandom and FA wants to say they're inclusive, they must be seen to support something that encourages being inclusive and actively fights against racism and oppression. At the end of the day, it's not something that'll harm FA.

I was replying to @Koorivlf , who essentially accused me of being a racist without actually saying so.

Racism makes me sick. So does blind political activism. Keep it in the politics subforum.

Woah I can't believe I just read that. "I don't want to support black people because that's activism/politics"

What the fuck?

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
I was replying to @Koorivlf , who essentially accused me of being a racist without actually saying so.

Racism makes me sick. So does blind political activism. Keep it in the politics subforum.
I'm glad you maintain that. But the reason for me quoting you was to say that this announcement won't be a matter of politics. It's a statement that FA is not open to racists or racist behaviour and that members should stand in solidarity against the issue.

Borophagus Monoclinous

I'm glad you maintain that. But the reason for me quoting you was to say that this announcement won't be a matter of politics. It's a statement that FA is not open to racists or racist behaviour and that members should stand in solidarity against the issue.

That's all fine.

But I don't need my FA page turning into a twitter feed of junk like OP posted. If I want that, I will subscribe to IMVU or whatever.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
That's all fine.

But I don't need my FA page turning into a twitter feed of junk like OP posted. If I want that, I will subscribe to IMVU or whatever.
It's one message, that I'm guessing would be a banner advertisement. Hardly an eyesore for the racists out there.

I just wanted to say that it would be in poor taste for FA to not make a statement about what's going on. If nothing else, let furries who are people of color know that the site has their back. Especially in light of the historical lax treatment this site has given racists and other forms of bigots. Just saying that "We hear you and see your struggle" goes a long way.
I mean, seriously, I got an e-mail from Uber earlier making a statement about this. You know what the right thing to do is.

Connor J. Coyote

The ¥oteƵer Extraordinaire
Hmmm.... I'll just weigh in - and say I think this thread should probably be in the politics section, (in all honesty).

Whilst it does touch on the larger policy of "suggestions" for the website - (for them to do a certain thing)...... the underlying context of that request - has huge political undertones... and thus, threads such as this - should probably be relocated to that part of the Forum.... in my opinion.

That said - there are a whole plethora of divergent political views within the community, (especially around potentially divisive social issues).... and thus - one could argue there is no real "right side" or "wrong side", (depending on where one's political views, may fall)...... and thus - whilst it may be a "good idea" to be a so-called "welcoming place" (for all), which I agree with, personally - (on the flip side of that): whenever there are political elements involved in the mix - then, (it might be a good idea to "temper" one's public statements), many companies may be thinking, right now - in an effort to be indeed - a "welcoming place for all" - which, (whether one likes it or not) *includes* many community members who may not necessarily subscribe to the view that so-called "solidarity" is needed, right now.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I mean, seriously, I got an e-mail from Uber earlier making a statement about this. You know what the right thing to do is.
Games-Workshop put out a statement, of all things.

It was met about how you'd expect from the Warhammer Community, but they put it out.

Woah I can't believe I just read that. "I don't want to support black people because that's activism/politics"
[Insert "Curb Your Enthusiasm" Theme Song Here]

Agreed 100%. And not taking a side is choosing the side of the oppressor.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
If it's going to do anything, then there should be action beyond worthless platitudes.
A fundraiser or something.

Ofc I don't expect it from corpos but hey, we can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.