• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Make FA Site Announcement For Good Cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Hmmm.... I'll just weigh in - and say I think this thread should probably be in the politics section, (in all honesty).

Whilst it does touch on the larger policy of "suggestions" for the website - (for them to do a certain thing)...... the underlying context of that request - has huge political undertones... and thus, threads such as this - should probably be relocated to that part of the Forum.... in my opinion.

That said - there are a whole plethora of divergent political views within the community, (especially around potentially divisive social issues).... and thus - one could argue there is no real "right side" or "wrong side", (depending on where one's political views, may fall)...... and thus - whilst it may be a "good idea" to be a so-called "welcoming place" (for all), which I agree with, personally - (on the flip side of that): whenever there are political elements involved in the mix - then, (it might be a good idea to "temper" one's public statements), many companies may be thinking, right now - in an effort to be indeed - a "welcoming place for all" - which, (whether one likes it or not) *includes* many community members who may not necessarily subscribe to the view that so-called "solidarity" is needed, right now.
Again, race is not a matter of politics. It's just a fact of life that racism is wrong and should never happen.

Dinocanid

Nobody cares what furries have to say and even less know we exist.
We're better at raising funds on our own to promote change.
Sometimes just saying something is enough, if not outside the community then inside the community. Even if news media or congress or whatever doesn't see or care about the message, everyone that uses FA/FAF will see it and know "this is where we stand".

It always matters, especially to POC members within the furry community

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
But, we're asking the site staff to say something.
And I'm asking for something more... utilitarian.
Corps all over show solidarity by changing avatars to whatever or make one post saying this or that, but it's all just hot air most of the time.
You see the meme about Bethesda changing all but a few of their icons to rainbows for this month, sans the Middle East page and a few others?

Excuse the jade, but I'm wary of all businesses who participate in these kinds of practices.
If anyone wants to show support for anything, then they should be willing to put their money where their mouth is or put boots on the ground.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Considering they already have a rule against the hate groups in general, I feel like they've already touched on this. People just seemed to be more upset about losing Nazi's instead, to notice. XD

I wouldn't hold anything against them for making a statement, but of course there will be the whiners that are inconvenienced by clicking on the X button once for the next 3 months. It's not like FA is telling us to whitelist them or watch an unskippable ad in order to browse the site.

Koorivlf

Koorivlf
I was replying to @Koorivlf , who essentially accused me of being a racist without actually saying so.

Racism makes me sick. So does blind political activism. Keep it in the politics subforum.

What the fuck?

I didn't think that at all.

However, I'm now calling you either a racist person or a person who is complacent with racism

You clearly show you understand what racism means to the people who experience it and that it's awful. Yet you're fine with FA not speaking out. Even shallow companies are speaking out, LIKE THE PARENT COMPANY OF FA. FA's twitter has retweeted blm stuff. FA is not staying neutral, they just won't put it on their main site which means they're shallow too.

Fur Affinity | BLM (@furaffinity) on Twitter

Last edited:

Koorivlf

Koorivlf
Hmmm.... I'll just weigh in - and say I think this thread should probably be in the politics section, (in all honesty).

Whilst it does touch on the larger policy of "suggestions" for the website - (for them to do a certain thing)...... the underlying context of that request - has huge political undertones... and thus, threads such as this - should probably be relocated to that part of the Forum.... in my opinion.

That said - there are a whole plethora of divergent political views within the community, (especially around potentially divisive social issues).... and thus - one could argue there is no real "right side" or "wrong side", (depending on where one's political views, may fall)...... and thus - whilst it may be a "good idea" to be a so-called "welcoming place" (for all), which I agree with, personally - (on the flip side of that): whenever there are political elements involved in the mix - then, (it might be a good idea to "temper" one's public statements), many companies may be thinking, right now - in an effort to be indeed - a "welcoming place for all" - which, (whether one likes it or not) *includes* many community members who may not necessarily subscribe to the view that so-called "solidarity" is needed, right now.

It should be in the suggestion box because I'm not discussing about the politics of this. The correct answer is to stand in solidarity with PoC and to be anti-racist. I'm not asking for people to contradicting that fundamental fact.

I'm suggesting that FA needs to take action in a real way. That is the goal here.

FA has subscribed to the view of solidarity on twitter:
Fur Affinity | BLM (@furaffinity) on Twitter

They just haven't done it on FA itself. It should be really simple to write up a text post on fender's journal and have that be announced to the rest of FA. If their board/leaders are having a hard time with what to do, that's pretty disgusting to make the meaningless gesture on Twitter.

Koorivlf

Koorivlf
If it's going to do anything, then there should be action beyond worthless platitudes.
A fundraiser or something.

Ofc I don't expect it from corpos but hey, we can dream.

This would be cool and would be a great addition to the suggestion however my expectations of FA are low so I was just hoping for an announcement from a fender journal at the minimum, which there's a real and very likely chance that nothing will be said. Unless I've missed something, I don't think they even said anything on covid and that's a real easy thing to jump on

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
This would be cool and would be a great addition to the suggestion however my expectations of FA are low so I was just hoping for an announcement from a fender journal at the minimum, which there's a real and very likely chance that nothing will be said. Unless I've missed something, I don't think they even said anything on covid and that's a real easy thing to jump on
I'm just not a fan of "Hey kiddo, we're with you" and then radio silence. That's all.

It's just empty and in many cases, like with Bethesda I mentioned earlier, it feels less like actual solidarity and more like jumping on something popular to sell a product.

Koorivlf

Koorivlf
I'm just not a fan of "Hey kiddo, we're with you" and then radio silence. That's all.

It's just empty and in many cases, like with Bethesda I mentioned earlier, it feels less like actual solidarity and more like jumping on something popular to sell a product.
I feel the same way but saying something does actually anger the racists and breaks people out of the bubble of "Furry is my escape from the world place"
If PoC can't escape from racism, privileged people shouldn't have an escape either. So there is utility here even in the shallow words.

I would love FA to do more but again, FA disappoints a lot and looking over some staff info, it's more disappointment there too. So literally the bar is in the ground, they literally just have to walk over the spot with no obstacle in front of them to do the bare minimum. They'll somehow still trip probably but we can only hope for the best

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I feel the same way but saying something does actually anger the racists and breaks people out of the bubble of "Furry is my escape from the world place"
If PoC can't escape from racism, privileged people shouldn't have an escape either. So there is utility here even in the shallow words.
I suppose.
Mind you, not saying they shouldn't say anything.
They can do whatever they want.

I just like to be a voice that drives "do more, be better" you know?

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Redacted by staff
Whatever your feelings or intentions, you can be civil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Redacted by staff
You've said some suspect things on here at times, so you live with your reputation. That doesn't mean you get to throw around names. You can voice your disagreement without resorting to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

FluffyShutterbug

Bleat??? Bleat!!!
Okay, I'm mad now.
It SHOULD NOT be controversial to think that it's ABOMINABLE that people of color are more likely to be murdered by police than white people are. It SHOULD NOT be controversial to think that police brutality has gotten out of control in the US. It SHOULD NOT be controversial to ask a website to join a bandwagon of other websites and corporations to simply say "Hey, if you're a furry who's also a person of color, we see what's happening and we are on your side. You matter!"
But, I guess we're just being "shrill" and "annoying", huh?

Borophagus Monoclinous

The official prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
Okay, I'm mad now.
It SHOULD NOT be controversial to think that it's ABOMINABLE that people of color are more likely to be murdered by police than white people are. It SHOULD NOT be controversial to think that police brutality has gotten out of control in the US. It SHOULD NOT be controversial to ask a website to join a bandwagon of other websites and corporations to simply say "Hey, if you're a furry who's also a person of color, we see what's happening and we are on your side. You matter!"
But, I guess we're just being "shrill" and "annoying", huh?

Literally nobody is saying that.

Borophagus Monoclinous

The official prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
Can we refrain from this, please?
I don't want to have to lose my own cool in trying to defuse a problem.

I have the right to defend myself against hateful speech. Calling me a racist is hateful and unfounded. I am out of sugar coating at this point. I really don't have a problem with you, personally. Please don't jump to extreme conclusions.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is why we disable comments on site announcements. I'm locking this thread, but I'll share the link with staff. If the Directors feel the need to make an announcement, they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.