• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Making furry friends on Twitter?

Chomby

Taking a break from the forums. See ya.
I'm thinking of making a furry Twitter account. After reading some articles on how to make friends on there, I'm under the impression that gaining attention isn't all about making posts; it's also engaging with/starting a discussion on other posts. I think I have that right.

I don't care about likes or reblogs at all. I just want to interact with people. Is Twitter just a dumpster fire? What is your experience with it if any? Do you have any tips?

Also, people talk about AD accounts. What does AD mean?

AD is an "after dark" account that posts adult material.

I use Twitter a lot, but I wouldn't say it's the best for a conversational interaction. I tweet my bird photography, stupid humor, commissioned art, furry stuff, and general nerd culture. I hear a lot of about negativity there but I haven't experienced any yet after several years. I'd say it good to meet people and keep up with their other media.

My tips would be to avoid drama, stay positive, and don't be afraid to say 'hi'.

I do enjoy twitter and in all fairness it's not much more of a dumpsterfire than other places depending on how you use it. If you follow and engage with people that discuss heavy hitters or rant all day then that's what you see. Follow people that share memes or art, that is also what you usually get.

But a platform with the intention to make friends it is not(though fully possible to make friends to some extent if you wanted to). Show people your stuff, share your thoughts, follow people that you find interesting and feel a bit closer to what goes on. Create and consume, that kind of thing.

Friend wise twitter can be a tool to keep track of what contacts are up to, working on etc. But it's tailored towards people with a following already or just content creation or people building a following. Twitter is a bit like a small internet stage just for you to do your thing.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Bad idea, people on there are morons and creepy. They're also pro-censorship and are going to make people PAY to view some tweets.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Biggest concerns with creating a Twitter at the moment are:
1) Privacy. The site hoovers up personal information / data like nobody's business, with everything from tracking where you log in to what content you, the people you follow, the people you follow... follow, like, retweet, and so-on. While I haven't personally tested it myself, they're also not above using this data to link to other sites who're similarly collecting your data. This said, how much of a concern this is for anyone is basically a person-by-person basis, and similar to Facebook just having family members who're on there without an account yourself can still moderately fuck you over (if not to the same degree).
2) It seems to be dipping its hands in trying to monetize the site further, the current endeavor an attempt to let people turn their Twitter accounts into their own Patreon-lite with the option to make certain posts / content Pay-to-View and whatnot. So far the general community consensus has been "Haha, this is stupid, fuck off", but obviously it's got some rumblings going on down the line for "What happens if something happens to Patreon", "What if they pay a bunch of people to advertise it via using it", and so-on, so might be another point of contention.
3) It's a major social media site. Expect bots. Expect phishing attempts. If you've been anywhere on the internet before, expect more of... the places you've been on the internet before. Practice caution, don't recycle account passwords (let alone for accounts sharing a similar email), don't put down any information you wouldn't like Twitter (or anyone who can view your account if it's not Protected) to have on their hands, etcetera.

Generally, that's about it. Making general statements about Twitter's community other than "It is a society" are pointless since it's used by so many people for everything from primary to secondary to "Only here to advertise" accounts from everywhere from "Worker on major news sites" to "Random person in an Antarctic base" to "Popular Furry Artist" to... you get the point. For Americans it could vaguely be argued to have slight economic left leans, but that's only because the site is very much a global one and honestly if the thing holding somebody back from joining a social media site is "Some people think minimum wages are good" then they probably weren't looking to go there for anything other than relive the "Punch Self In Groin Repeatedly" experience that was the now-defunct Politics section on FAF. Likewise most of the claims of censorship only really cropped up when people started spouting conspiracy theories and / or advice that was blatant public health risks (Ex: "Vaccines are devil's work, masks are more dangerous than COVID, 'Anyone want to join us for a smallpox party?'"), so if you're use to pretty much any vaguely moderated website's list of "Do not post this shit on here" and don't have plans of causing mass death you again probably won't have issues.

That said, two big pieces of advice are: Don't purposefully look up Political / Drama stuff (Both will probably hit your feed at some point anyways unless you follow nothing but corporate ad accounts, but if you're following the people in the first place you probably know what to expect anyhow), and don't make a show of not caring about Political / Drama stuff. The first is how you come across stuff like unironic Posadists, as well as just expose yourself to things that you really have no interest in (and yet can somehow get roped into even so). Would you believe me if I said there was a controversy recently about Minecraft Youtubers?

As for the second? Even if you generally don't care about whatever incident is immediately relevant? You're basically painting a target. Also I think we've all had plenty enough experiences off Twitter (potentially even offline) with people who boldly proclaim that they just Don't Care over and over again, and it's no less sufferable on Twitter. Also a lot of stuff is personal for a lot of people on Twitter (sometimes quite reasonably, sometimes less so), including telling others They Don't Care that it's personal to them, so even just going "Damn, I want no part in this" can get you a part in it because certain crowds follow you for vocally not wanting a part in it and now you're involved with them and it just keeps on rolling downhill.

tl;dr "Site's going to wring you dry for personal data, frequently has phishing / scams, might be in the process of monetizing even more, and the community's all over the place. Use standard internet operating procedure. For fuck's sake don't recycle passwords and / or sensitive information."

Biggest concerns with creating a Twitter at the moment are:
1) Privacy. The site hoovers up personal information / data like nobody's business...
2) It seems to be dipping its hands in trying to monetize the site further,...
3) It's a major social media site. Expect bots. Expect phishing attempts.

We should probably assume this is going to be true for any social media platform, even the small ones.

Another tip: Regardless of the platform, use a complex, unique password and as inconvenient as it is, enable multifactor authentication.

Chomby

I need some help. How do I choose which of my tweets are sensitive? I don't want them all marked as sensitive.

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out. I tested out posting an image with the sensitive content filter on and off. One was hidden and the other showed, so I can choose which tweets are sensitive or not.

Last edited:

TurboPunk

Your personal Twitter experience is all about how you use it.

You could easily use Twitter to find others local furs in your area and stay connected. You can also use Twitter to meet others with the same interests as you.

Alternately, you could use Twitter to chase clout and associate yourself with drama, and subsequently fall off, hard.

The tools are at your reach, it’s all just a matter of choice.

Chomby

Your personal Twitter experience is all about how you use it.

You could easily use Twitter to find others local furs in your area and stay connected. You can also use Twitter to meet others with the same interests as you.

Alternately, you could use Twitter to chase clout and associate yourself with drama, and subsequently fall off, hard.

The tools are at your reach, it’s all just a matter of choice.
I just wanna chat, make friends, and shitpost. I'm totally distancing myself from drama. If I see it, the most I'll say is "bruh" and move on. lol

Yesterday I won in an art giveaway so that's heccin' cool.

KippLink

Beginner Artist
As most social networks twitter has become really toxic over the years i wouldn't really recommend starting your adventure there but instead connect with friends on some other furry website and than connect your accounts on twitter.

CrowFoxy

I guess I'm sort of reviving this but its not that old.

Your Twitter feed is mostly made up of what's controversial and what your friends are liking/Retweeting and stuff. So if your friends are participating in loads of furry drama you'll see that, it's why I don't find advice like this on it helpful.
Bad idea, people on there are morons and creepy. They're also pro-censorship and are going to make people PAY to view some tweets.

Search for the content you like, start following some people, share your own posts, it can take a while but you'll meet people if you continue trying.

Lyrule

Warrior of the Sun
I guess I'm sort of reviving this but its not that old.

Your Twitter feed is mostly made up of what's controversial and what your friends are liking/Retweeting and stuff. So if your friends are participating in loads of furry drama you'll see that, it's why I don't find advice like this on it helpful.

Search for the content you like, start following some people, share your own posts, it can take a while but you'll meet people if you continue trying.

Yep yep, this. ^ I recently made a separate Twitter just so I can follow artists and post my own art. My main Twitter account often is associated with people I know/Esports drama. Sometimes I just want to look at pretty art or post my art without the Esports drama, which is actually quite anxiety inducing. It's nice knowing I can log onto Twitter and not have associated game drama in my face.

As well as, the people I know aren't really into furry art so I'd rather not flood their dash with furry art I like/retweet, lol.