• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Making my first head

Fayolah

I've been wanting a fursuit for some years now, but it seems like it'd be less expensive to make it on my own (expensive regardless, of course). I wanna be able to support my favorite creators one day, though!

I think I'm going to document my progress here, but in the mean time, does anyone have tips and issues they ran into when making their first head? Places they suggest materials are ordered?

Right now, I'm waiting for some foam, tape measure, and a balaclava to arrive. I was gonna measure my head first before I bought a mannequinn head and my hot glue.
I wanted to buy a small fan to go into it, but I'm not sure where I'd put it at.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
I got some sculpting tips ( coming from someone who hasn't finished her first suit yet, so take it as you wish)

Take a picture of yourself wearing the bucket base from front, top and sideways and draw your character over it. With this you can calculate the proportions of each parts of the head. Make sure you draw the eyes over your own!

Faexie

Rara for short :)
Also I only started to experiment with it, but I found out that brushing fleece with a dog brush and straightening it (synthetic materials can be straightened, you just have to use low heat and not leave the iron on the same spot for too long), it can make fairly good short fur. Most craft stores sell small fleece squares so it would be easy for you to test it out.

It would only add a very thin layer of fur though, so you shouldn't make the headbase skinnier like most makers advise you to. If you plan to use ready-made fur you should sculpt it skinnier though

Fayolah

I got some sculpting tips ( coming from someone who hasn't finished her first suit yet, so take it as you wish)

Take a picture of yourself wearing the bucket base from front, top and sideways and draw your character over it. With this you can calculate the proportions of each parts of the head. Make sure you draw the eyes over your own!
I really like the picture idea! I haven't seen anything like that while I scoured tutorials. Thanks for that one, I'll be sure to do it! uhh. Do you have brand suggestions for the mesh, maybe? I've been trying to look up stuff and I'm confused on what to look for.