• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Mandrills

Judge Spear

I've only ever seen three fictional anthros of this animal, but they all shared the same attribute. They were...chill as fuck.

The three I've seen were the mandrill from the Lion King, Mr Mandrill from that one Monkey Gym Partner cartoon, and Spark Mandrill. What got me thinking about this was actually just Spark Mandrill because he's evil. But he sounded like you could just tell him your problems...before he solved them with an Electric Spark to the face.

So with that in mind I ask, what is the mythos/logic behind the very kind nature of Mandrills that makes it a running theme in fictional ones? Is it something specifically seen in nature or were there ancient tales of them or something, like 9 tailed foxes or ninja frogs?

I know nothing! :u

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Let's face it- the mandrill is pretty cool, even if it has the most phallic name in the animal kingdom and a face not even its mother would love. It would be like "Yeah, I'm the best monkey ever, even though you're laughing at my name."

Distorted

Mandrills have the crazy witchdoctor/shaman thing going for them. At least that's how I feel when I see them. There are no old stories that involve them in mythology that I know of either.

Plus Spark Mandrill's theme is pretty darn awesome.

Tailmon1

Fennec World dominance!
I remember seeing some art of one when I was a child and it scared me.

A

Abbi Normal

Is Raffiki a mandrill or a baboon? Both of them are mean as hell in real life. Monkeys do not mess around.

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
Mandrills always look scary as hell, to me
It's dem teef.

I never really ever associated Spark Mandrill with being "chill" (pun not intended).
He struck me more as the type that wants to beat your shit in.
Thankfully, he was a fairly easy boss with Chill Penguin's ability.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Mandrills just look like they would be wise or magical. But I wouldn't say there's any myth to it, just association. Their faces kind of resemble shaman/voodoo or tribal make up.

Judge Spear

Mandrills always look scary as hell, to me
It's dem teef.

I never really ever associated Spark Mandrill with being "chill" (pun not intended).
He struck me more as the type that wants to beat your shit in.
Thankfully, he was a fairly easy boss with Chill Penguin's ability.

You need to play Maverick Hunter X.
That's where he talks like a calm mofo. He never raises his voice even moderately.

Last edited:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
The "magical negro" syndrome from what it looks like. :V

Recel

Mamma Yeena
I've only ever seen three fictional anthros of this animal, but they all shared the same attribute. They were...chill as fuck.

The three I've seen were the mandrill from the Lion King, Mr Mandrill from that one Monkey Gym Partner cartoon, and Spark Mandrill. What got me thinking about this was actually just Spark Mandrill because he's evil. But he sounded like you could just tell him your problems...before he solved them with an Electric Spark to the face.

So with that in mind I ask, what is the mythos/logic behind the very kind nature of Mandrills that makes it a running theme in fictional ones? Is it something specifically seen in nature or were there ancient tales of them or something, like 9 tailed foxes or ninja frogs?

I know nothing! :u

Mandrill? You only seen three? Lucky chap...
Every time I go on FA I see a man-drill in my face. And than they are drilling... Do not want.

Now, re-read the OP with man-drills in every place.

Aulendra

Just watch a few nature documentaries if you want your image of "chill" mandrills shattered. They're scary as hell. Actually, most monkeys are...an angry chimp will attack a human's groin first and literally rip your nuts off because it's smart enough to know your weak spots.

I'd rather wrestle gators.

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
There's Dan'l Baboon from Kimba the White Lion. I haven't watched it in forever but he's kind of the advisor-type as well, if I remember correctly...

I have no idea why they all sort of follow the same trope though, that is odd.

Judge Spear

Just watch a few nature documentaries if you want your image of "chill" mandrills shattered. They're scary as hell. Actually, most monkeys are...an angry chimp will attack a human's groin first and literally rip your nuts off because it's smart enough to know your weak spots.

I'd rather wrestle gators.

For starters I didn't say they were chill at all. I said in fiction they're portrayed as such and I wanted to know where it stems from.

Raspberry

Potatoes.
I swear everyone and their mom has a fursona or OC that's either a canine, a feline (typically a big cat), a horse, an otter, a rabbit, or a dragon. You never see apes or monkeys.

I've never got why fiction portrays them as so relaxed though. They're not the most mellow animal.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Even if evolution didn't point to humans coming from monkeys, I'd still suspect it just in that both are good at being mean/nasty motherfuckers. The apple doesn't fall far from the evolutionary tree I suppose.

We didn't evolve from monkeys, humans share an ancestor with apes (like chimps), that may explain why we too will go for the nuts lmfao

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
The first thing that came to my mind while reading the title was "Mandrill, Isn't that a women's hairstyle?"

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I swear everyone and their mom has a fursona or OC that's either a canine, a feline (typically a big cat), a horse, an otter, a rabbit, or a dragon. You never see apes or monkeys.

I've never got why fiction portrays them as so relaxed though. They're not the most mellow animal.

There are a few around!

Gelada babboons have cooler hair, though.

Last edited: