• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Mannequins

Aleu

Deuces
Hello artists.

For a while, I've been wanting to get myself a mannequin to help me out with poses when I don't have a real person to use and I just plain don't feel like using the internet. (How my computer is, I'd have to crane my neck to see the image on my monitor. Yeah not very comfortable)

I was finally able to get one for cheap as well as some more pencils. I have to admit, it's not exactly what I expected. The joints are REALLY stiff and can't work with the poses I want (such as arm bending into a salute for example). Though I'm sure it'll be able to help with 3D perspective and shading.

Anyway, I just want to know other artists' opinions on mannequins. Do you find them useful at all or do you prefer a real human model to work with?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Honestly the wooden mannikins are crap. Now there are multi joint dolls that are more helpful and there was that pretty awesome spiderman toy (which because of it, has become insanely expensive http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spiderman-Ulitmate-Poseable-Action/dp/B000EA4LY2)
Dollfies or Obitsu bodies are better than the wooden mannikin - wish you asked before you bought one - because I would have told you to go with something else.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/art-s-buck-anatomical-models/

I got a small Skeleton I find more useful than those things.

The funny thing about the wooden ones, is that they used to be better, till mass reproduction got in the way these were called Lay Figures.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/12/artists-lay-figure-part-1.html

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/12/artists-lay-figures-part-2.html

One other thing I should mention. I pretty much discount any doll or figure I have for accurate anatomy but rather getting poses down. You still need to learn your proportions and try to get humans to help pose too.

Aleu

Deuces
Looking back yeah I should've asked but like I said, I'm kinda limited on funds. Also, at the hobby store, all they had were the wooden ones so it's not like I had a wide range to work with. I already work with anatomy with this anatomy book I've gotten a while back ago.

The only human that would be willing to be used as a model has a chest condition where it sticks out more than normal. If he was an average like guy then I wouldn't have a problem. I mean, sure I can see exactly where his ribs are but then I risk my practice drawing having the same issue or looking emaciated.

Thaily

Sad to say mannequins are only good at standing on shelves to try and make hipsters look artistic.
If you know a few artists in the area and have the space somewhere, you could always try splitting the cost of hiring a nude model model to draw?

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
Sad to say mannequins are only good at standing on shelves to try and make hipsters look artistic.
- This.

There are also a lot of local figure drawing groups that exist as well- i found mine through Meetup.com, which can be quite helpful. But yeah, mannequins are terrible for learning...anything off of. Maybe they're alright for the concept of shading planes. Other then that, I don't see practical application.

Kalithe

Amateur Artist Extraordinaire
You honestly can't go wrong with anything studied straight from real life. The mannequins don't have that flexible backbone, so positioning them will make them look like Optimus Prime in the aftermath of a seizure. Instead, as your talking with friends or walking around, take mental pictures. Look at how people move, how their bodies flow as one unit in order walk, jump, talk, sing... everything.

Just make sure you don't stare. The last thing we need is a "Deceased" emblem on your name because some granny .45'd your ass for giving her the staredown. Again, real life is the way to go. Oh, and photographs WHEN NECESSARY. They don't capture the depth that real life studies do, but they can still show simple poses, such as sitting.