• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Request: Mantis/Dragon Hybrid Help?

Alyx_0_0

Tea thief <3 She/Her <3 POTATO QUEEN
Hey! I'm trying to create a mantis/dragon hybrid fursona. I only just realized that sounds an awful lot like Scyther from Pokemon but that wasn't my intention, I assure you! I don't quite know what this combination would look like because I don't want it to look like Scyther. Would anyone be willing to throw ideas at me and help me create her? Since this is also in the art section and it's a request, that means I also want some help via art as a physical representation! Any and all offers to help are welcome! I'm sure I'll be updating this post as I get a better idea of what I want the mantis/dragon hybrid to look like but all I can do is describe her features. Here's what I've got so far:

She'll be part purple orchid mantis and part dragon!
This is a purple orchid mantis:
purple orchid mantis.jpg

But with her dragon-ness, she only has two legs to stand on and two normal, dragon arms. Her tail will be the same tail in the picture above. She has those mantis arms coming out of her shoulders, not the top of her shoulders, but right at the top of her back. She also has mantis wings under those arms. Mantises have two sets of wings. One set {the top set} is thick like armour for the other set {bottom set} that is thin. She has the same or similar pattern style of the purple orchid mantis but I want her colouring to match her wings. She's also bipedal, small {4 feet, six inches tall}, and slim with thick thighs and a thick tail. She has a dragon head with horns that look like fluffy antennae on top of her head. She can move those but she usually just lets them do whatever. They're kinda like vertical tails found at the top of her head.

These are the wings I want on her:
mantis wings.jpeg

Last edited:

Faustus

Don't know why you need the dragon bits, the mantis is perfectly beautiful (and underrepresented) on its own.

Alyx_0_0

Don't know why you need the dragon bits, the mantis is perfectly beautiful (and underrepresented) on its own.
I just like dragons. There aren't a lot of dragon bits, certainly more mantis bits than dragon bits. UwU

Chomby

I'm back.
I don't think it matters whether a species is underrepresented and beautiful. You don't get to critique people's species preferences. That's kind of lame.

If you don't like it, make your own. Your comment wasn't necessary.

Alyx_0_0

Ok ok let's not fight! It's fine. I'll probably make another mantis sona after this one and she'll be just a mantis. There's a cool mantis called a dragon mantis so I'll make a sona like that after this one! UwU

mangomango

Well-Known Chee
I can try to help with this! (need some experience drawing insects anyway)

A few questions:
- Do you want any floof or a mane? I see some people add that sort of stuff to insects
- Do you want the face to be more realistic / insect looking or more expressive? (or do you want it to be more dragon-looking?) (basically any info about how you'd want the head to look would be helpful :3)
- Can you grab a second image of the wings you'd be looking for so I can get the coloring / patterns down better?

Alyx_0_0

I can try to help with this! (need some experience drawing insects anyway)

A few questions:
- Do you want any floof or a mane? I see some people add that sort of stuff to insects
- Do you want the face to be more realistic / insect looking or more expressive? (or do you want it to be more dragon-looking?) (basically any info about how you'd want the head to look would be helpful :3)
- Can you grab a second image of the wings you'd be looking for so I can get the coloring / patterns down better?
- If you think floof would make her look better, go ahead! Mantises don't originally have floof but this is imaginary so whatever!
- More dragon-like, please! I'll be making another mantis after this going off of a dragon mantis {STENOPHYLLA LOBIVERTEX} which is basically just a mantis version of a chinese dragon!
- I can try but I found that picture on google so I may not be able to. I believe {going off what I know about them} that the wing set closer to the mantis's head has that green primary colour and the circle on the side animals see when they look at it. That set isn't very important to me to get the colour or the pattern accurate. What I really want is the second wing colour and pattern!

Here's a little more info I'll be adding to the original post:
She's also bipedal, small {4 feet, six inches tall}, and slim with thick thighs and a thick tail. She has a dragon head with horns that look like antennae on top of her head.

Alyx_0_0

@mangomango
UPDATE: Instead of the antennae being horns, can they just be long tufts of fur? Kinda like two really tiny tails? Also, sorry if mentioning you was annoying

Alyx_0_0

Alyx_0_0

{Bump because art is always welcome UwU}

Alyx_0_0

Update: She is complete!! She is lovely! She is pastel! The art was created by @mangomango! @mangomango is amazing!
IL7VDoU.png

Now that she has been created, if anyone wants to make more art for her feel free! Like I said before, all art is always welcome! <3