• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Martial Art Furs

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
They do, especially considering these aren't just wallhanger trash you can get at the mall.
My Master's home is full of weapons, she has swords, knifes, and a load of staffs

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
So, I've been fencing for decade, and HEMA for at least half of that... you could do a much better job selling HEMA than linking Skall. It's not that he's bad, but he's lacking in the brevity to actually sell the sport. It's like sending someone to a wiki to get them interested in a game.

Old videos, but they still remain the best for showing techniques in a bite size setting. Granted, those guys are in minimal gear, certainly less than you compete in, but it's enough.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
That is a very intense and strong art. Kinda reminds me of krav maga

Ziggy Schlacht

That is a very intense and strong art. Kinda reminds me of krav maga

It's not "gentle" no, it's maintained a reasonable degree of martiality that's sort of been lost in a number of eastern martial arts, at least how they've filtered to the west. However, the overall intensity varies greatly with the weapons and the fighters, this definitely on the heavy end. HEMA is a broad umbrella, with a lot under it.

Without digging too far, this is along the other end. Again, an old video. Start at about a minute if it doesn't work.

To put this in terms of eastern martial arts, this is closer to a "karate" vs. "kung fu" type match up as in it's different styles from different masters (not that one is a parallel to kung fu). The videos I posted above would be techniques from one system.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Fencing is such a beautiful and agile sport, I really wanna get into it!

Seth_Wolf

Banned
Banned
I used to do karate kid, and there was even a guy in our neighborhood who gave free ninjutsu classes, though I don't know if that's real XD I've done some judo since then too, and play around with archery. I don't think I'm dedicated enough to say I do martial arts, but I am a big fan of them.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
I used to do karate kid, and there was even a guy in our neighborhood who gave free ninjutsu classes, though I don't know if that's real XD I've done some judo since then too, and play around with archery. I don't think I'm dedicated enough to say I do martial arts, but I am a big fan of them.
Ninjitsu is a real thing but it isn't REALLY a martial art. Its a whole bunch of skills that includes some martial arts, but that isn't the only thing it teaches.

Ive only seen Judo in the olympics and that looks super cool! its really an interesting and unique fighting style.

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Thanks. I assume fencing and HEMA are 2 different things though right?

Zerzehn

Dojyaaaaaaaaan~
Ninjitsu is a real thing but it isn't REALLY a martial art. Its a whole bunch of skills that includes some martial arts, but that isn't the only thing it teaches.

Ive only seen Judo in the olympics and that looks super cool! its really an interesting and unique fighting style.
Typically whenever someone refers to ninjutsu as a martial art, they really mean something like taijutsu. (Which translates to "body skills" or "body techniques") which is also used to refer to unarmed combat skills in general.

So today, in Japan, someone could refer to boxing as "taijutsu" despite coming from Greece ultimately.

Ziggy Schlacht

Thanks. I assume fencing and HEMA are 2 different things though right?

The answer is yes and no. What you see in the olympics is distinct from HEMA. That's a heavily sportified and distilled version of fencing, usually referred to as "sport fencing" or "olympic fencing." However, HEMA is still fencing in that you are fighting with swords, and it uses systems and methods that would be referred to as fencing in the past. All three videos I posted are HEMA. And so is this:

Broadly speaking, HEMA can defined as fencing using visual scoring incorporating a broad range of full weight weapons with a focus on martial effectiveness. Olympic fencing is fencing using electronic scoring with light weight weapons with a heavy focus on the fundamentals of swordplay, at the expensive of martiality.

Seth_Wolf

Banned
Banned
Speaking of martial arts, have any of you seen Baki? (Yes, I found it through Beastars too since the daughter of Baki writes Beastars)
It's very over the top, but I'm wondering how close is it to describing the dozens of martial arts styles in there?

Cool to see some European martial arts in this thread too. Kind of unfair that Asia seemed to have a monopoly on most of it

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Speaking of martial arts, have any of you seen Baki? (Yes, I found it through Beastars too since the daughter of Baki writes Beastars)
It's very over the top, but I'm wondering how close is it to describing the dozens of martial arts styles in there?

Cool to see some European martial arts in this thread too. Kind of unfair that Asia seemed to have a monopoly on most of it
I havent seen Beastars or Baki before so I don't know how "Authentic" or practical it is.

Ziggy Schlacht

Europe has a long and well established martial tradition, but I think what happened is the European martial arts were common place and everyone kinda knew them. There's quite a few stick fighting systems, in particular, that I think were broadly used. However, as the cultural exchange with the Far East grew, anything from there was new and exotic, so people naturally gravitated that way. And as the need for practical martial arts diminished as society became safer, and guns became the dominant weapon anyhow, the Eastern Martial arts stuck around because their novelty meant you could still make money teaching them.

Guifrog

Blue frog
I've done capoeira as a kid. There's lots of leg work and the dance-y aesthetic inherited from the times when colonial-era slaves would disguise it from their masters, and quite recently I've figured it suits my sona quite well. I mean, we're both musical and he's a jumpy, strong-legged (that a word?) frog

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
I've done capoeira as a kid. There's lots of leg work and the dance-y aesthetic inherited from the times when colonial-era slaves would disguise it from their masters, and quite recently I've figured it suits my sona quite well. I mean, we're both musical and he's a jumpy, strong-legged (that a word?) frog
Ah, so your into the Brazilian martial arts. When I think martial arts I think Asia, Europe and Brazil!

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Have you thought of doing taekwondo or Korean martial arts? they tend to be more "Ninja like" and have high kicks and some "acrobatics".

Guifrog

Blue frog
Ah, so your into the Brazilian martial arts. When I think martial arts I think Asia, Europe and Brazil!
Being Brazilian myself, it came as part of my school sports activities. I did enjoy it though. The intrinsic combination with rhythm made it all the more attractive

Have you thought of doing taekwondo or Korean martial arts? they tend to be more "Ninja like" and have high kicks and some "acrobatics".
Capoeira employs a good variety of acrobatics, but I think I get what you mean. Actually not sure I'd try something different myself nowadays

ssaannttoo

Joy Boi
Being Brazilian myself, it came as part of my school sports activities. I did enjoy it though. The intrinsic combination with rhythm made it all the more attractive

Capoeira employs a good variety of acrobatics, but I think I get what you mean. Actually not sure I'd try something different myself nowadays
I get that, staying in your comfort zone. I got my black belt in tong sudo and I have the option of going further into kenpo but im not really sure if I should.