• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Marvel’s New Warriors?

Who is the worst new hero?

• Screentime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B-Negative

• Trailblazer

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Safespace

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Snowflake

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

owoLillian

100% Organic Nerd
So I may be a bit late to this, but I recently found out about the new abominations Marvel has seemingly ripped out of a Wattpad self-insert fanfic. They are five new “superheros” who are going to be the new New Warriors. If you would like some more information about them, feel free to click the link here-
So anyways, I would like to know everyone’s thoughts about these DeviantArt oc monstrosities. I can understand their attempt at diversity, and I’m all for that, but I think they just end up mocking the people they were trying to market towards.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Never cared about Marvel, and now I know I never will.

I think they could've had a pretty decent idea if it wasn't made to simply... "trigger". And I think that's the biggest problem there. Even the artists and writer were pretty unapologetic of their choice. :/ As with always when it comes to comics, diversity is awesome and needed, but it's the way you introduce it, that could turn away your fans :/

Nexus Cabler

Abstract Concepts Coordinator
I saw the concern from this on twitter from practically all groups. No one seems to like it.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Honestly? Marvel has always been ahead of their time. Does this upset you? Probably. Did it upset people in the 90s? For sure. This is what they were going for. It'll probably be looked at just like Black Panther down the line. And yes I watched the video before commenting.

Stratelier

In all fairness, we won't know whether their stories are worthwhile until they release, so be mindful about exactly what we are pronouncing judgements on so far....

The most obvious criticism here goes to ... Trailblazer? The girl with the backpack. Her "power" so far isn't a superpower, it's a tool in her possession. Not all superheroes need superpowers (just ask Batman), but the real concern is that she's, to put it mildly, "overweight". Even ignoring cultural standards of beauty, obesity is a REAL problem that does REAL damage over time to your body.

Now her story doesn't have to revolve around her body weight, but this creates two problems:
1 - If it isn't, then the subject becomes the elephant in the living room. Not everyone will notice, not everybody will care, and the writers will just have to ignore the ones who do.
2 - If it is, there can only be one healthy execution of it: she knows her weight is a problem and is struggling to resolve it. Because trying to cast it as "it's okay for her" is to set a LITERALLY unhealthy standard.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
In all fairness, we won't know whether their stories are worthwhile until they release, so be mindful about exactly what we are pronouncing judgements on so far....

The most obvious criticism here goes to ... Trailblazer? The girl with the backpack. Her "power" so far isn't a superpower, it's a tool in her possession. Not all superheroes need superpowers (just ask Batman), but the real concern is that she's, to put it mildly, "overweight". Even ignoring cultural standards of beauty, obesity is a REAL problem that does REAL damage over time to your body.

Now her story doesn't have to revolve around her body weight, but this creates two problems:
1 - If it isn't, then the subject becomes the elephant in the living room. Not everyone will notice, not everybody will care, and the writers will just have to ignore the ones who do.
2 - If it is, there can only be one healthy execution of it: she knows her weight is a problem and is struggling to resolve it. Because trying to cast it as "it's okay for her" is to set a LITERALLY unhealthy standard.

Ay-yay-yay... this has always been a problem with me when people talk about how proud they are to be fat. Now, when it comes to cartoon characters, sometimes making them fat can add to a character's fun and playful nature, or perhaps their Gruff, imposing nature. I feel like it works really well for both characters. But the important thing is to never, ever spread the delusion that fat is healthy. Even if your character is a sumo wrestler, you still have to keep in mind that the character would realistically run health risks.

Yakamaru

I put the fun in dysfunctional
The Walking Wikipedia
Slo-Mo Ninja
Speed Bump
Teenage Angst
The Tank

Yeah, these "heroes" are utterly useless with useless powers.

Walking Wipedia/Encyclopedia? Useless. What he gonna do? Throw random Wikipedia articles at villains hoping that the random information will confuse them enough for hopefully any of the other "heroes" knock them out?
Throw ice shurikens? Useless. I would've understood if they SHOT the shurikens, but THROW them?
Can make protective bubbles for anyone but themselves? Useless, and a prime target for anyone with half a brain cell still functioning.
Then we have the emo teenager vampire. What he gonna do, screech at you and call you an asshole for you know, being a villain?
Then we have someone with what is essentially a black hole on their back? Useless. Well.. Could be useful somewhat depending on how the never-ending backpack is used. Can it suck villains into it? You going to doom someone into what could be an eternity of agony, pain and torture? Doesn't sound very humane now that I think about it.

Yeah, this video have a huge down vote ratio for a reason. What's the next superhero-to-be? Super Karen?

This is why I don't bother with superheroes and their comics anymore.

Stratelier

But the important thing is to never, ever spread the delusion that fat is healthy. Even if your character is a sumo wrestler, you still have to keep in mind that the character would realistically run health risks.
Right. To be fair, fat cells are a natural element of the body, providing thermal insulation and energy reserves; and the body can certainly operate under a vast range (by proportion) of fat. But having too little could be a sign of malnutrition, and having too much (especially for a fundamentally athletic species) puts unnecessary strain on the body.

ASTA

Former Trash Man
This comic will run for 15 issues maximum and then be cancelled due to overwhelmingly poor reception and sales because of its extremely poor attempt at representing a particular sociopolitical ideology that has already been proven to be widely unpopular among the comic crowd time and time again.

Then again, based off of the overall aesthetic and power set of these characters, the intended target audience for this particular comic run seems to be middle school children and not grown men or women. I'm 26, but I still can't help but feel that the overall design of these characters is somewhat out-of-touch with what a lot of preteens and early teenagers would find entertaining in a comic book. Like, really: what 13 year-old boy is going to be interested in seeing some morbidly obese girl pull random trash out of her transdimensional backpack when he can instead read about Bruce Banner beating the absolute piss out of a divine entity?

Last edited:

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
The whole thing is just tone deaf as hell. None of the powers or names make sense, the designs are garish, and it feels like a big excuse to act like a Woke, Hip Company that understands the youth and is down with the new progressive movements. Trust me, naming a non-binary character Snowflake isn't going to sit right with anyone regardless of their stance on gender. You can make fat, POC, non-binary, and tech-savvy characters---no one is saying you can't and honestly I'm welcome to that kind of diversity---but for the love of god, you don't have to shove arbitrary powers onto them to make them 'symbolic' enough to deserve a story. Just write them the same way you'd write any other character. Good lord. We exist as normal people, y'know.

All that aside, the whole thing is just boring. Who wants to read about Dora the Explorer 2.0 and the living version of Wikipedia when they can see the god of thunder beat some justice into a truly nasty villain? No one is going to want to invest in it. It's a shit idea

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
As with always when it comes to comics, diversity is awesome and needed, but it's the way you introduce it, that could turn away your fans :/
Precisely. Don't make their minority status the focus of their character. It really wouldn't bother me so much if they treated them as normal people with powers that actually made sense, but really... Snowflake? They could have done literally anything else with a non-binary character and it would have been better than that