• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Mass Effect 2: Great Game, Or GREATEST Game?

Altamont

The Bard of the Beasts
So I'm stoked beyond all belief for the elease of Mass Effect 2! I have played through the first at least four times, and I love everything about it; this sequel promises to take any lackluster content from the first and amp it all up to 11! Better combat, bigger story (this game is on two discs!) and better graphics are all looking to make one of the coolest games of the past couple years.

Does anyone else relate to this unhealthy amount of Stokedness I'm suffering from? Or perhaps simply discuss their favorite Mass effect/Bioware topics?

Jashwa

Lol @ 2 disks. 360 is living in the past.

Anyways, I don't think everyone else is as excited as you are. Sure it was a good game, but it wasn't OMGFUCKINGAMAZINGJIZZINMYPANTS.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
I may use it when it comes out ofr the PC if it does,

I refuse to buy an X-box.

CryoScales

Devourer of Worlds
I may use it when it comes out ofr the PC if it does,

Its coming out on the PC the same day as the 360 release. Which is a new thing for Bioware, as they usually release the PC version some time later with a new interface and some free DLC. Of course the system specs are most likely going to be higher then the first game. If you look at the new lighting system, and models via the trailers. It makes the original game look like Max Payne.

My only complaint with the game is how little replay value it has. It cut out a lot of RPG elements from games such as Kotor, and replaced them with 3rd person shooter elements. Besides new game plus the only reason I kept playing it was to hear Shepard's witty banter.

It is tied with Kotor for Bioware's best game. I dearly await the sequel and hope it utterly destroys all my expectations like the first game did.

Last edited:

Shànwàng

Lavender Scented
So I'm stoked beyond all belief for the elease of Mass Effect 2! I have played through the first at least four times, and I love everything about it; this sequel promises to take any lackluster content from the first and amp it all up to 11! Better combat, bigger story (this game is on two discs!) and better graphics are all looking to make one of the coolest games of the past couple years.

Does anyone else relate to this unhealthy amount of Stokedness I'm suffering from? Or perhaps simply discuss their favorite Mass effect/Bioware topics?

Yes, I've gone to the doctor for it and he's prescribed medication for my intense stokeosity.

Its coming out on the PC the same day as the 360 release. Which is a new thing for Bioware, as they usually release the PC version some time later with a new interface and some free DLC. Of course the system specs are most likely going to be higher then the first game. If you look at the new lighting system, and models via the trailers. It makes the original game look like Max Payne.

My only complaint with the game is how little replay value it has. It cut out a lot of RPG elements from games such as Kotor, and replaced them with 3rd person shooter elements. Besides new game plus the only reason I kept playing it was to hear Shepard's witty banter.

It is tied with Kotor for Bioware's best game. I dearly await the sequel and hope it utterly destroys all my expectations like the first game did.

I played the game three times from scratch to finish, I thought it has enough replay value. What kills playing through again and again is the mission redundancy and my sad sad obligation to find all the minerals.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Eww, No. :(

Yeah, it was a very good game.

Combat and sidecontent were the elements most in need of tweaking, and I'm pretty sure they weren't able to fully address these issues. I'm still looking forward to an awesome sequel.

CryoScales

Devourer of Worlds
I played the game three times from scratch to finish, I thought it has enough replay value. What kills playing through again and again is the mission redundancy and my sad sad obligation to find all the minerals.

Replay value through what? The entire reason I played the game through at least 6-7 times was for achievements and general curiosity. The achievements weren't very spectacular and reminded me of Oblivion's. Just kill a specific amount of enemies with a certain weapon or power, play the game with a specific difficulty or the infamous party member achievements. The thing they were however, was time consuming. Each party member achievement alone took me a week, as I had to scour everywhere looking for a subquest I didn't complete.

I wanted to see what each romance looked like for each sex, and wanted the party member achievements. The sub quests were utter crap. Just either simple fed ex missions, just go and shoot some guys missions etc. Or just bad collector missions that there are really no visible rewards for besides lack of pride. After you've played Mass Effect through a few times, it looses a lot of it's charm as youve pretty much taken a gigantic bite out of the cookie that is Mass effect.

If you compare that to a longer game such as Kotor, the game's subquests are at least interesting. The storyline takes more then 7 hours without playing a subquest and is turn based. I know ME2 will fix all these gripes and hopefully not present more as sequels traditionally do.

EinTheCorgi

Banned
Banned
i just hope they fix the people models and commanders hands serioslt his hands just looks strange to me

Shànwàng

Lavender Scented
I wanted to see what each romance looked like for each sex, and wanted the party member achievements. The sub quests were utter crap. Just either simple fed ex missions, just go and shoot some guys missions etc. Or just bad collector missions that there are really no visible rewards for besides lack of pride. After you've played Mass Effect through a few times, it looses a lot of it's charm as youve pretty much taken a gigantic bite out of the cookie that is Mass effect.

If you compare that to a longer game such as Kotor, the game's subquests are at least interesting. The storyline takes more then 7 hours without playing a subquest and is turn based. I know ME2 will fix all these gripes and hopefully not present more as sequels traditionally do.

Oh hey, I ain't liftin' the replay value up like it's Spuds MacKenzie, the side quests were crap and redundant, but where I drew replay value from was playing through each time manipulating the game one way or the other through the dialogue trees and letting what happened be. The fact that it was time consuming really didn't bother me.

I'll be honest, whether the game was turn based or based on a dice driven engine really doesn't matter to me.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
ME1 was awesome! im very excited for the sequel^^
i just hope they fix some of the problems the first title had =/ like the glitches and the lame-ass sidequests >.>;

Dovecoon

The only thing I'm worried about with the second game is if they make it too third person shooter-ey. I've read they're adding an ammo system and entirely changing the skills. I'm sure Bioware won't screw it up just because I trust them as a company but I'm still a bit nervous...

Kommodore

well what is it?
Necro coz the time draws neigh.

EDIT: Also two disks that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

CryoScales

Devourer of Worlds
Necro coz the time draws neigh.

EDIT: Also two disks that's ridiculous.

Look at it from Bioware's perspective. It's either ship on two disks, or cram hundreds of hours of gameplay onto one.

Honestly I find it funny people are complaining about it. They are giving you a quality product. It's Bioware, you know they are consistently great with their RPGs. It's been what? 6th times a charm this time around? Just because it's on two disks doesn't mean it's inferior in any respect. It just means you have a much longer game then the original, with loads more content. If you look at it in a different light. They aren't going to nickle and dime you with crappy small subquests you really don't care about, if they all ship on separate disks.

Plus I never really saw the problem with multiple disks. I mean you only ever switched them what? Once per playthrough? Considering FFVII takes a guy like a week to do, and it only has 3 disks it wouldn't make the guy go apeshit and destroy his PS1 if it said "Please insert disk 2"

I am actually surprised they didn't try this out already with the 360. It's dual layer DVDs only carry around 8 gigs. So it's only natural that longer and larger games should ship on more then one. In this case, your getting a lot more content and quality then the other one disks on the counter.

EDIT: If your like the guy who would destroy his console if it said "please insert disk 2" you could simply buy the PC version. It would simply have a few install disks and one of which you would only need to actually play the game. Or better yet just buy it off Steam, avoid the whole disk scenario altogether.

Last edited:

Kommodore

well what is it?
I don't care if they are giving me more game time for the same amount of money, or that I have to load the second dvd only one time and never have to do it again or that they have assured everyone that the transition will be smooth and not mess up gameplay.

Having two disks clearly makes it inferior.

Also: IMMA PRETTY PISSED THEY GOT RID OF HEAVY ARMOR AS A SOLDIER CLASS PERK. Like maximum unhappy about that one. Freaking Bioware making soldier a dps...

EDIT: Ammo types are pretty homosexual too.

Last edited:

Kyoujin

SOCK GOES WHAR?
I can't wait.. though it was irritating cause Gamestop ran out of the Collector's Edition a month or two early. >( So I had to preorder it from Best Buy, and you don't get the weird special armor and gun if you preorder anywhere else but Gamestop, oye. Haha.

I'm pretty happy they have ammo now, think it'll make me use some of my other weapons more often finally. And I'm overly happy that Garrus is back and playable. ;D <3

I have to say the starting of the game is.. pretty surprising and awesome, a lot hits you pretty fast. Won't ruin anything, but.. just wow. xD

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
pre-ordered it some time ago, im pretty excited right now^^

The only thing I'm worried about with the second game is if they make it too third person shooter-ey. I've read they're adding an ammo system and entirely changing the skills. I'm sure Bioware won't screw it up just because I trust them as a company but I'm still a bit nervous...

actually they arent adding a "real" ammo system. they just changed the overheating system a little. instead of overheating your weapon is now consuming thermal clips that cool your weapon down. these clips can be used for every weapon and your enemies drop them when you eliminate them.
so basically you still have unlimited ammo, you just have to watch out a little bit more^^

Last edited:

lilEmber

Small Dragon
What? No game is bigger than 10 gigs. No game.
If somehow a game is bigger than 10 gigs or even remotely close it's due to multiple uncompressed audio and video files, probably for ten plus different languages too.

Most new games coming out are only three or four gigs in size, for instance Crysis is only like two or three gigs.
The first mass effect was only three gigs.

Assassin's Creed (first one) was like seven gigs in size, but when stripped of the twelve other languages and compressed the English audio it was not even three gigs in size.

Last edited:

Kajet

Anyways, I don't think everyone else is as excited as you are. Sure it was a good game, but it wasn't OMGFUCKINGAMAZINGJIZZINMYPANTS.

X-box users have two settings: "Shit sux fag" and "ZOMFGCONSTANTORGASM"

What? No game is bigger than 10 gigs. No game.
If somehow a game is bigger than 10 gigs or even remotely close it's due to multiple uncompressed audio and video files, probably for ten plus different languages too.

Ahem, World of Warcraft would like to politely disagree.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
X-box users have two settings: "Shit sux fag" and "ZOMFGCONSTANTORGASM"

Ahem, World of Warcraft would like to politely disagree.

WoW is a patchwork game and the engine is a total mess, that doesnt count X3

its true though, most games are just so big because of videos and audio files

Mikael Grizzly

Creepy Stalker
I'll probably pick it up cheap at the games store. ME1 was good, but nowhere near the praise being levied on it. The dialogue system sucks cigarette butts out the rectum of a New York subway hobo, despite its writing, the combat system is about as tactical as a roadkill armadillo is alive and the story is built upon cliches.

The execution is great, though. A good time waster, but without much tangible replay value.

I'm on the fence with what I see, though. Bioware's been obviously going for a more gritty, dark setting, but they don't really seem to have a fine grasp on the concept. Note: assassins, raspy voices and dark colours don't make your game any more dark or mature than Duke Nukem 3D.

TehSean

weasyl.com/profile/naoki
Truly indepth RPG games require a ridiculous amount of reading and despite how thick it may seem at this time, there were better rpgs produced in the past. Ones nobody ever heard of mostly because it wasnt richly supported with advert blitz.

I'm sure it'll be fun, but. No. Not the greatest. Probably more engaging than Fallout 3 was for sure in terms of atmosphere and just general entertainment, but... ... no.

Good game? Of course. Release day purchase, but.. Nah. The title is stupid and unimaginative and full of pop culture memetic.

Mikael Grizzly

Creepy Stalker
Truly indepth RPG games require a ridiculous amount of reading

Not really. Real depth is a mix of these factors, from a gripping story (it doesn't have to be ultra complex, but has to at least make the player think for a second), through voice acting (Fallout and KotOR2 for example) to such base things like the world actually making sense.

The latter two were present in ME1, but the first one... it was a classic, clean cut black/white plot.

Monsters want eat universe. Shepard go kill monsters. No, Shepard cannot join said monsters, even if the player character finds Saren's argumentation convincing, because the writer arbitrarily says so.