• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Massive tablet help needed

Tabasco

So I've been researching, and researching, and researching, and I'm still researching, so any quick answers to my questions would be much appreciated.

1. Do you draw on the tablet itself (as in, you could draw away from the computer and save it, to upload later) or does it only work on your computer?

2. What are the requirements for the average tablet? Could my Dell Mini run one when I'm out and about?

3. What are some good brands and choices to start with?

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
1) No, the tablet works directly with the computer, and what you draw is dependent upon the program you're using and any number of variables. At a basic level, it becomes another mouse, but one that has a 1:1 relationship with the tablet area and your screen (put the stylus on the top left, the cursor jumps to the top left of your screen). Obviously there are other perks other than it just controlling the cursor, such as pressure sensitivity and so on.

There is the option of a tablet PC for portability, which is a laptop with a tablet built into the screen, but those are fairly expensive.

2) Anything and everything can run a graphics tablet, though the suggested requirements should be printed on the box and on the products' websites. Generally, any computer with Windows XP or later, or Mac OS X will be able to run a tablet without trouble.

3) Wacom, mostly. I've heard good things about Genius tablets, and they're very inexpensive, but the Wacom line is generally a lot more reliable and generally a good bit better. You may want to look into the Bamboo Fun, or if you have a bit of a higher budget, an Intuos4. The Intuos series has twice the pressure sensitivity along with tilt sensing for things like spray brushes, which makes them a little more versatile; Plus, the pens seem to last much longer (not to mention they have replaceable nibs). Personally, I have an Intuos4 Small, and with it being my first tablet, I think it's probably going to last me a good while to come. It's also surprisingly roomy for a "small", but one thing you should consider is that the larger versions will have somewhat more precision, as there's more area to translate to the same screen space.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
I can vouch for everthing Runefox has said, but I will make a suggestion: if you are unsure of how a tablet works, go to a store that has one free to try (US has Best Buy stores that sometimes run Demos with Wacom Bamboo) and give it a shot. IF you are curious and decided you must own one, I suggest you go with something affordable (most Bamboo tablets run somewhere between $50-100 USD) and avoid the Intuos line until you are sure you want to invest the money-- they are worthwhile, but for economic reasons, it's better to not take such a big risk). Wacom is the industry standard for the most part, and I've been 100% satisfied with mine thus far (6 months down the road).

Concerning the computer-- you will probably need a USB 2.0, so as long as your comp is 2000 or newer, you'll likely be okay. USB1.0 is okay but will have a slower response time. The real requirements issue will be for the drawing program you choose-- I would focus on those first.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
There is the option of a tablet PC for portability, which is a laptop with a tablet built into the screen, but those are fairly expensive.

Depends. I found a good one for 200 dollars. You can get an older model for 300. The drawback is processor speed if you're looking to run the latest and greatest software. All tablet pcs are less pressure sensitive compared to newer models of wacom tablets. However, they're still useful.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...&_nkw=view+anywhere&_sacat=See-All-Categories these models are ones that have a better screen so they have better viewing angles. LE1600 is a single core and LE1700 is a core duo. Max ram an LE1600 can take is 2gb LE1700 I believe is 4gb. LE1700s of course are more costly ranging from 500+

They are rather portable at 2 1/2- 3lbs

Drawbacks are, they don't make good multi-tasking PCS and like I Said using the latest software which are more demanding can slow the system down. Sketchbook Pro is awesome on it, and I like Easy Paint tool Sai and older versions of CS and Painter. I have been trying other freeware options on the tablet to see how they fare.