• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Matt Groening was (is?) a furry?

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
inb4 "DRAWING FURRIES DOESN'T MAKE YOU A FURRY!" It's a joke, you furfag-elitist morons.

Anyway, yeah...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_Hell
So I never knew about this shit.

Anyone of you know about it before this?
Anyone of you read any of it? If you have, is it good?
And what do you (if you didn't know) think about it?

I think it's funny, just because I've grown up with the Simpsons.
Never expected them to share anything in common with furries (aside from some animal-transformation episodes).

Asswings

Banned
Banned
Meh, I got a book of it somewhere. Not that good IMO.

And in comic strips, you have to remember: Animals doing horrible things is okay.
People doing horrible things is not okay.

Why do you think so many comic strips feature anthros? Because it makes the THIS IS FANTASY line more clear.

Does NOT make them furries.

Please differentiate between anthropomorphic animals and furries.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I got "School is Hell" from my step-brother, step-brother has a bunch of the other books (I think the full compilation). They're pretty much hit-or-miss with their humor.

MetroidBob

Is all write.
They're pretty much hit-or-miss with their humor.

I've got "Work Is Hell", and this pretty much accurately describes it. I'm sure they thought it was good in the 80s.

CryoScales

Devourer of Worlds
If this was an actual discussion and not a joke I would be handslapping right now. But my point bellow stays valid.

In any sort of support site if anyone famous is remotely tied to it. People will hype the shit out of it.

People have to stop worshiping celebrities. We do it far to much nowadays and people don't notice that they are just ordinary human beings that eat sleep and shit like the rest of us. Believe it or not most celebrities have a higher suicide rate then the average human being.

shado

look a usertitle how original
I could swear I have a book of that somewhere. I could list about half of the "childhood calamities" or whatever they're called.

T

Tewin Follow

I knew about it because I listen to the audio commentaries on the box sets.

People really need to be aware of them-- they're bloody hilarious. I mean, these are the people who created the show.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Why do you think so many comic strips feature anthros? Because it makes the THIS IS FANTASY line more clear.

If this was an actual discussion and not a joke I would be handslapping right now. But my point bellow stays valid.

In any sort of support site if anyone famous is remotely tied to it. People will hype the shit out of it.

People have to stop worshiping celebrities. We do it far to much nowadays and people don't notice that they are just ordinary human beings that eat sleep and shit like the rest of us. Believe it or not most celebrities have a higher suicide rate then the average human being.

See, to me one of the distinguishing traits with "Furry" and anthro, is the purpose. Using an animal as a character with human characteristics is pretty common. However, those usually using it for storytelling have it for a different purpose, than most of the "common furry." Animals in those cartoons are usually played to be a certain archetype of character to perpetuate the story. Most furries think their character IS the story. It's usually a representation of themselves or what they like to be. Most out there don't really think of character design in the sense that the industry does for getting the audience to connect as to what character it is.

You know that Iago from Aladdin is a sidekick for the villain, you know that Jasmine's tiger is a strong reliable character for Jasmine. They can be comic relief. The design of each character is definitely designed with shape recognition and how an audience will immediately relate to them in terms of the overall story. Granted some series are more successful than others.

This however, is not a trait you see with most furry artwork (and especially not posted on the site). There are few exceptions, but most of these furry characters posted are either extensions of someone's self, their desires, traits of fetish. They're not designed to be part of any real story. You'll often see how a creator thinks their creativity hangs on the color, stripes or the type of animal one uses.

Life in Hell uses a rabbit, which is frequently seen as "cute" so the humor comes from using the rabbit a different way. He has hit and miss but Goening was using the characters for perpetuation of the strip more than "I'm unique and used these critters". Nor do I think he cared what kind of animal he used. Nor are his characters the "same" archetype.

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
"Life in Hell" looks really similar to "Yiff in Hell"

http://www.vivagoal.com/images/wallpapers/Matt_Groening.jpg

And simply how he looks increases the odds of him being furry.
Note the Obesity, and complete lack of understanding of Social norms (i.e. him wearing a Hawaiian shirt in public)

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

Kitsune Dzelda

Hmmmm.......
Isnt Matt groening the guy that made the Simpsons?

RoqsWolf

Now with 100% more ∂ e e r™
I'm sure hes heard the term furry before if he's drawing some anthros. Also he hasn't really made fun of the furry subculture so thats kind of odd :v

TDK

BARK BARK WAG WAG
I'm sure hes heard the term furry before if he's drawing some anthros. Also he hasn't really made fun of the furry subculture so thats kind of odd :v
Seconded.

He kinda looks like the stereotypical furry, so thats another point.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Seconded.

He kinda looks like the stereotypical furry, so thats another point.

Nah he looks like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons (OH THE IRONING). Just because he said nothing about furries before is kind of a dumb assumption. There are people who have heard and not said anything about them before either. It's probably because he can't be bothered to care one way or the other.

So he's the comic book "Geek or nerd" - not all comic book Geeks or nerds are furry just like not all furries are comic book geeks or nerds.

TDK

BARK BARK WAG WAG
Nah he looks like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons (OH THE IRONING). Just because he said nothing about furries before is kind of a dumb assumption. There are people who have heard and not said anything about them before either. It's probably because he can't be bothered to care one way or the other.

So he's the comic book "Geek or nerd" - not all comic book Geeks or nerds are furry just like not all furries are comic book geeks or nerds.
Never said all comic book geeks or nerds were furries. THANK GOD their not. But yeah, I have heard he modeled Comic Book Guy as either a representation or parody of himself.

Hir

my name is lucifer, pleased to meet you.
Where can I find this comic? I want it.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Still, the man's a comic genius. It's rare for a TV show to last 20 years and still manage to be funny. In fact, I dare say that this new season may be even funnier.
That's because he's had some seasons that were pure shit. I'd say currently, while not exactly "great", the current episodes are at least enjoyable.

Besides, Married... With Children managed to get by for 11 years with shoe salesman and fat women jokes.

Rigor Sardonicus

Banned
Banned
I can't believe this thread's still alive and nobody's replied to this yet.

Meh, I got a book of it somewhere. Not that good IMO.

And in comic strips, you have to remember: Animals doing horrible things is okay.
People doing horrible things is not okay.

First reply was a classic example of furfag-elitist moronics. Good show!

Well, that's everything. Postcount +1.