• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Mattress foam for head base?

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
My housemate recently got rid of a foam mattress and I kept it. I'm wondering if it would be sturdy enough for making a head base if reinforced by wire and/or cardboard? I plan on carving out some for ditigrade leg padding but wanted thoughts before I start gluing and cutting it.

Ashwolves5

Miss Fluffy Bottom
Depends I suppose. It it memory foam it will pill and crumple over time. Something with a higher density might be better.

crystallinecanine

Fursuit Maker(?)
I wouldn't use any kind of mattress/couch cushion as building materials for a fursuit head. Just because there's been so much people getting up and down, doing who knows what... You could use it for the digigrade padding, but for the head it's better to start from scratch from fresh unused foam. Happy crafting!

VX666

The Foxy Goddess
Not to mention pathogens and stuff.

I would only use intended materials only, unless you are experimenting and throwing it away afterwards

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I recommend only using brand new materials, especially when used around the head and face.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Green upholstery foam is best because matress foam and the other kinds of polyurethane foams break down over time in ultra violet light, even with fur on them.

VX666

The Foxy Goddess
So, not to change the subject too much, how long will a fursuit head last? Anyone know?

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
So, not to change the subject too much, how long will a fursuit head last? Anyone know?
It depends on how you treat it. I know of fursuits that are over fifteen years old. Mine is nine.

Vermilion

I wanna say regular mattress foam retains heat more. Unless its a cooling foam that has good ventilation if could be good practice foam when you're starting out. :)

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
Can we continue again, because I want to share my opinion regarding memory foam mattress, I really dont like memory foam mattress, because they are too bad, within a month I really fed up from memory foam, recently I bought a hybrid signature mattress from Nest Bedding discount code, and really its quite good and comfortable. I strongly against memory foam mattress, it's just wasting time and money and nothing more.
I mean... If you actually read my op, it's not saying I'm spending any money on it. I'm also not sleeping on it. This is for getting accustomed to using foam for fursuiting before investing in expensive foam.

Babycatz

I would just buy some new green foam. Joannes Fabric often has really good sales. Sometimes their leftover foam sells for extremely low.

hiemsop

If the density of the foam is high, the material will hold its shape well. But, accordingly, any liquid (embarrassment) will adversely affect the quality. I would recommend just getting rid of it and buying a good new mattress on slumberwise.com at an affordable price. I would not be very comfortable sleeping on a mattress where my friend or girlfriend slept (I don't know what they are sick with). I'm skeptical of cheap stuff. It can be used to upholster old chairs and armchairs, but for sleeping, I wouldn't go for it. But I'm a squeamish person. You could reinforce it with a plywood board.

Last edited:

Glenda221

We bought a WinkBeds Plus memory foam mattress here. Both my husband and I are happy with the purchase. It has an extra edge-support system and a pocketed coil support system that help me relieve pressure on my back. It is very important for me as I suffer from back pain. Also, it has to be noted, this mattress is good for both light and heavy couples. I should say, this is the best mattress I've ever had.

hiemsop

In my grandmother's house, which I inherited, there was a foam mattress. It was very old, and everything inside was crumbling. I felt like I was sitting on some crumpled-up rags that also smelled. The foam is hard to clean and odor free. Waste foam furniture can be upholstered, then upholstered with a nice fabric. For example, you can use foam rubber to upholster old unwanted chairs. But I would recommend buying a new mattress and pillows, as sleeping on old waste is not very pleasant and comfortable. It is better to waste the waste on some decorations in the yard of the house.