• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

May we please be allowed to embed images in our journal's header/footer?

Would you enjoy image imbedding in your jounals header/footer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paddles

Make some restrictions and guidelines, maybe even add it to normal journal section. I know I would be pleased, and think that it would result in nothing but good.

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
No.
No.
No, no, no.

People already make their headers and footers painfully colourful and huge with BBCode, FUCK letting them do it with images as well.

Eske

Don't believe the mask...
Personally, I wouldn't mind. As in, I'd like to do it for my own page. When I first started up on FA I was a little disappointed that it wasn't an option, but I can't remember why anymore. But allowing the general populace to do it? That'd probably be a disaster.

Obviously there are plenty of negative sides, including more work for the site mods -- going along with the examples noted above. "Nothing could possibly go wrong" is generally never true, especially on a site like FA.

Though if we could only use things from our scraps folders (like the profile ID), it could solve a lot of the 'inappropriate images' problem, as the images would already have to be properly marked and in accordance with FA's AUP.

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
Wouldn't it kill the bandwidth? And I think it would affect the load time of userpages/journals as well.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
Wouldn't it kill the bandwidth? And I think it would affect the load time of userpages/journals as well.

Nope and sorta.

Embedded images are pulled directly from their source. If that ain't on FA, the data will not pass trough FA's servers, thus not influencing the used bandwith.
Journals etc would load as normal, but the embedded images will load after that, efficiently increasing the load time for the complete page, but not specifically the journal itself.

L

LizardKing

Why on earth would you even want that? Bear in mind that journals show on profile pages; any embedded images will be present there as well, and with no way to control the image size or content... yeahno. Not to mention the more nefarious uses possible because of FA's hilariously broken security.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Nope and sorta.

Embedded images are pulled directly from their source. If that ain't on FA, the data will not pass trough FA's servers, thus not influencing the used bandwith.
Journals etc would load as normal, but the embedded images will load after that, efficiently increasing the load time for the complete page, but not specifically the journal itself.

But it has a serious impact on the visitor's bandwidth, and you give Web browsers more credit than they deserve for loading page content efficiently. The abuses of this sort of crap is one of the reasons why I can't use DA anymore: Users customize their journal headers and footers with bandwidth-hogging wastes of page real-estate, either not knowing or not caring that it hurts everyone else.

As an extreme example of the bandwidth problem, loading just one page of the raff/ruse thread here often kills my IRC and IM connections at home, even if it's the only tab. Loading a customized DA journal page threatens to do the same and occasionally succeeds.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
No, I don't need shitty clutter in people's journals and seeing them every single time. This is not a Sonic fanforum or some other weeaboo forum that allows this kind of nonsense.

Keep it simple.