• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Memorable Quest/Sidequest/Character(s)?

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
[Disclaimer: I know this is the Writing subforum, I just figured since it's about collecting research and not just your average game discussion, I'd throw it in here. Staff can move it if they feel it does not belong though, that I don't mind!]

As the title suggests, what was your favorite Quest/Sidequest in a videogame? Or just a memorable/enjoyable moment for you (like NPC dialogue, even!). Please go into detail. I would like to hear about what game it is from and what specifically you enjoyed and how it made you feel. You may go into details as to why, if you feel comfortable.

This is half research for personal projects, as well as possibly helping me to spark some ideas for my own stories in some way. Probably won't, but I'm still gonna try. There is no limit. Post about as many as you like. Including videos to the specific moment would also be beneficial for me. Just try to be mindful about spoilers if you think it could upset anyone!

Thank you to those that participate!

Hellblade:Senua's Sacrifice Full Playthrough (No Commentary) - YouTube
I haven't played this in a long time, but it was one of the few games that got me feeling anything with bare minimum horror aspect. For those unfamiliar with the game, it's centered on a female protagonist with a lot of... problems. Mental health. She hears voices all throughout, sort of like if you were to argue with yourself inside your head. The way the voices sometimes bicker makes me wonder just what kind of undiagnosed mess I am because I do it so often. Anywho, in this particular scene, the sound of her deceased lover calms her and talks her through this... 'chapter'.

"Do you see it?"
"No."
"Then it cannot see you."

I took this scene a bit too literally. In the video here, they walk by it without any issue, even while staring directly at it. Me? I aimed my camera at the floor. I walked around the other side of it, which made things intense because I was extremely close to danger, but I managed to slip by. I assumed it was deliberate. It was not!

This game had a lot of themes that tickled me right in the childhood... more specifically, the moments where I'd race down the hall because I totally believed that I was far more nimble than whatever that was lurking in the darkness. Or jumping into my bed so that pesky feet-grabbing monster couldn't snag me. This sorta brought me right back into it with the fuzzy, static-like shapes that you'd see in the night, or how some objects blend together to look like something it's not. To me, I thought it gave a sense of facing/braving ones fears. More specifically, the unknown. Then the part where it's mentioned to leave the monster behind and keep moving forward. Definitely one of the reoccurring themes that was pushed on this mental health themed journey.

I have more, but to find the specific quest name is a bit of a pain for me right now. Might update later.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Off the top of my head, one of my favorite little games was Among the Sleep. JackSepticEye has a playthrough of it and then gives a bit of discussion at the end of the game. It’s about 1.5 hours total, and you could watch someone else obviously.

Unfortunately, to tell you why I love this game would reveal many spoilers so I just urge you to check it out.

The basic premise is you are a baby and you are in your house and like most babies, you get to craw about and explore. But like most children, the things you see may look different. It’s pretty spooky and drips with atmosphere.

It also reminds me of the movie Babadook.

I play tons of games so I’ll have to think on this! Very interesting query!

Edit: Markiplier also has a playthrough of Among the Sleep. I’ve watched both but cannot remember who I preferred to recommend. So if you have a preference of either...

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Off the top of my head, one of my favorite little games was Among the Sleep. JackSepticEye has a playthrough of it and then gives a bit of discussion at the end of the game. It’s about 1.5 hours total, and you could watch someone else obviously.

Unfortunately, to tell you why I love this game would reveal many spoilers so I just urge you to check it out.

The basic premise is you are a baby and you are in your house and like most babies, you get to craw about and explore. But like most children, the things you see may look different. It’s pretty spooky and drips with atmosphere.

It also reminds me of the movie Babadook.

I play tons of games so I’ll have to think on this! Very interesting query!

I've already played this actually! It was... Eh. Interesting for sure! But not nearly as immersive for me like with Senua. X3

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
I've already played this actually! It was... Eh. Interesting for sure! But not nearly as immersive for me like with Senua. X3
Ah, come to think of it, the story may have resonated with me more powerfully than it normally would because I could relate to what was happening in the end of it.

I’m going to check out the game you cited, though!