• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Metal for Beginners?

Furcade

Intermittent Poster
I'm pretty familiar with a lot of genres of music, with the notable exception of metal. As part of a quest of mine to become a better musician, I'm trying to broaden my appreciation of music, and this involves getting into a bit of metal. For reference, this is the "heaviest" song that lives on my mp3 player at the moment:

[video=youtube;t59vYoP6LkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59vYoP6LkY[/video]

Anyway, seeing as a lot of you guys appear to be connoisseurs of the various strains of metal, I figured I'd ask you two questions: do you recommend any particular types/albums/artists for newcomers to the world of metal, and what are your all-time favourite metal albums/artists?

Avlenna

Shadow of the Night
Blind Guardian is my favorite. There's also Megadeth, Metallica, and Dragon Force on my most listened to.
If you want some lighter metal, Bullet For My Valentine and Atreyu are good too. Some may disagree, but these are what I recommend.

Zaraphayx

Banned
Banned
There is a different genre of metal for every dozen bands that exist these days.

If you want a good introduction to metal I'd suggest bands like Black Sabbath or Judas Priest as they were among the most popular groups that defined the genre when it first started appearing; Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and Metallica come to mind too.

My personal tastes change all the time, but Tarot, Borknagar, and Arcturus have been pretty consistent favorites of mine, and tend towards progressive styles.

Last edited:
Some pretty solid metal:
Heavy:
Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer
Death:
Morbid Angel, Kataklysm, Amon Amarth, Vehemence, Aeon, Arch Enemy, Bloodbath, Decapitated (skip 2010/2011 album), Grimfist, Six Feet Under, Vader, At The Gates
Black (&blackened death):
Dark Tranquility, Vesania, Tvangeste, Graveworm, Cradle of Filth (pre-2008)

Can't go wrong with Rammstein, and a couple other bands like: AC/DC, Fear Factory, Devildriver, Samael, Dio, Twisted Sister, and all that are pretty good too, but a lot of hit and miss.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
I'd hit up Five Finger Death Punch. I dunno if "beginner" is the right word, but I hear em on the radio, meaning they are mainstream friendly. Ivan has a gorgeous voice when he isn't screaming, so that's also a plus.

Namba

I'd hit up Five Finger Death Punch. I dunno if "beginner" is the right word, but I hear em on the radio, meaning they are mainstream friendly. Ivan has a gorgeous voice when he isn't screaming, so that's also a plus.

Oh man, would strongly recommend starting off with them come to think of it.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
Blind Guardian and Gamma Ray are my favorite power metal bands.

System of a Down a completely unique experience, wish they made more music.

Dream Theater is a great progressive metal band. long and mild.

GhostWolf

Okay maybe it's just me but every time I think of metal I remember this...hey even if you don't like metal you will absolutely love this.

[video=youtube;SG7QbiPtH9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7QbiPtH9M[/video]

Schwimmwagen

A good way to broaden your tastes into metal would be to start with bands that are closer to heavy rock than what we call "metal" these days. Go with stuff like Black Sabbath to begin with, then go onto e.g. Iron Maiden, old Metallica, Slayer, and see where it leads, slowly going into the slightly more obscure and niche stuff (which are excellent once you've got an ear for it).

Note that bands like Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, and Rammstein are in the not-metal-but-kind-of-sound-like-it genre. Rule of thumb is that if it's internationally popular it's probably not "real" metal, as hispter-ish/elitist as that sounds. You may like them though.

Also if you're looking for new bands you can always check the metal megathread.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Oh that's easy. The heaviest metal is plutonium, then uranium and lead. If that's not your thing and just want some light metal try lithium. Personally I like neodymium the most.

Zydrate Junkie

Name and rank soldier!
Start with some of the classics, and then work your way from there.
If you have any friends who are into metal just get them to throw a few songs at you, and put a little bit of a lot of bands on your mp3 player and just shuffle through, deciding which ones you like.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Oh that's easy. The heaviest metal is plutonium, then uranium and lead. If that's not your thing and just want some light metal try lithium. Personally I like neodymium the most.

Greatest post on this forum, ever. XD

Anyways, Rammstein and Rob Zombie are pretty good starting places as well. As follows.

[yt]BvsMPOfblfg[/yt]

This is in the running for quite possibly being my favorite song ever.
[yt]QcKxMoJB4L0[/yt]

Clocking in at 11,472 plays in itunes...
[yt]EqQuihD0hoI[/yt]

All the following are rammstein songs, and everyone had more than 7k plays in itunes...

Ich Will (I Want)
[yt]f4K6ZxDwi34[/yt]

Sonne (Sun)
[yt]kIBeYoP9Wi0[/yt]

Rosenrot (Rose-Red)
[yt]cz66xYVtST0[/yt]

Dalai Lama
[yt]xt-hBznuyfE[/yt]

Mein Teil (My Part)
[yt]sJ3kVtd2CCA[/yt]

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Sorry for the double post, but it's also occured to me Oomph is also a really good starting point.

Ready or Not (I'm Coming)
[yt]JiiDHUkNL2c[/yt]

God is a Popstar
[yt]3BpwImS4yyY[/yt]

Labyrinth (Probably Oomph's best known song, sadly there's no decent vid of the english version)
[yt]dhmG7VXDG1Q[/yt]

True Beauty is so Painful
[yt]obrReS4UCx0[/yt]

VGmaster9

Pretty much this.

Also, more traditional bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Black Sabbath.

A

Ansitru

Sorry for the double post, but it's also occured to me Oomph is also a really good starting point.

OOMPH! should really be listened to in German. Their translations are .... eh. Not so good.
OP: if you're into folk-metal, you may like Eluveitie, Turisas, Heidenvolk, Alestorm and related bands.

There's also Arkona, Equilibrium and Sabaton (the last one is more power metal-ish).
And of course there are still bands like Children Of Bodom, Slipknot, Parkway Drive, Nightwish and the likes.

Eluveitie - "Luxtos"
[YT]3pdGLsFjRSM[/YT]

Heidenvolk - "Nehallenia"
[YT]KBpDom4QWHE[/YT]

Equilibrium - "Blut Im Auge"
[YT]Yom8nNqmxvQ[/YT]

Alestorm - "Sunk'n Norwegian"
[YT]IUckT7ERVP8[/YT]

Sabaton - "Swedish Pagans"
[YT]DcAhDcqNmlQ[/YT]

Furcade

Intermittent Poster
Well, thank you all for the excellent suggestions! :D

I hit up Five Finger Death Punch first, and it sounds like a good starting point, indeed. Blind Guardian is also pretty cool.
I went to Dream Theater . I'm a fan of Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Genesis etc. (progressive rock bands) so that's a good entry point, too. Also the suggestion of starting with classics was a good one, because older metal is substantially easier to listen to from the perspective of the metal inductee.

Gibby said:
Note that bands like Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, and Rammstein are in the not-metal-but-kind-of-sound-like-it genre.

Yeah, I noticed that a bunch of the bands I looked at were classified as rock on iTunes. So in your opinion, what defines "real" metal? Also does Turisas count as real metal?

CannonFodder said:

Heh.

EDIT: Yeah, folk metal's pretty cool.

Last edited:
A

Ansitru

Yeah, I noticed that a bunch of the bands I looked at were classified as rock on iTunes. So in your opinion, what defines "real" metal? Also does Turisas count as real metal?

They call it "battle metal" themselves, but I think it still classifies under folk-metal.

[YT]ogarObiFgvI[/YT]

Symlus

Sophisticated Snake
@FurCade: The metal as defined by iTunes is death and screamo. Stuff to make your ears bleed. Try some System Of A Down, Slipknot, Tool (Some classify it as alt, but I see it as metal, whatever.), Anthrax, Dio, Judas Priest, etc. You need more, I'll send you some more artists. Sorry it's disorganized.

Vukasin

Note that bands like Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, and Rammstein are in the not-metal-but-kind-of-sound-like-it genre.
They fall into the Nu Metal category, which is still a metal sub genre.

Rule of thumb is that if it's internationally popular it's probably not "real" metal, as hispter-ish/elitist as that sounds
That would mean bands like Megadeth (thrash metal), Metallica (thrash metal), Iron Maiden (New Wave of British Heavy Metal), Pantera (Groove metal) ect. aren't metal....

Anyway, back on topic, good bands to start with would definitely be the earlier metal bands that people have suggested already. I would also say power metal is good to start with because they still use clean vocals.

I'll post Orden Ogan. They are a German power metal band that mixes in progessive and folk elements.
[YT]Ir_BVxBz5do[/YT]

And since you said you're a fan of progressive rock, here is a progressive metal band; Dream Theater
[YT]pTwk1UuGJIA[/YT]

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
The problem with Dream Theater is only one in 15 of their songs is good, the rest are utter shit. That one in 15 it utterly amazing though...

Tybis

Me beautiful barnet!
The single thing that expanded my view of the world of rock the most was actually the video game Brutal Legend. It has a really diverse, generally great soundtrack by tons of bands. Through that game alone, I learned the difference between those little sub-genres, and discovered that I enjoy melodic and industrial metal.

It was pretty fun too. Seriously, rent that game if you see it.

Current favorite band - The Bunny The Bear

[video=youtube;NJHZ0JKDlIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJHZ0JKDlIQ[/video]