• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Metroid Prime 3 - Worth getting after P1 and 2?

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
How does Prime 3, in your personal opinion, compare with Primes 1 and 2?

Is it just "same old, same shit" as say... Prime 1, other than the "oooh ahhh" Wii control scheme,
or is there more to it, like how P2 had that extra "parallel dimensions" feature and the screw attack and a little extra difficulty?

Keep in mind I'm a sucker for difficult but enjoyable gameplay.

That being said, is it up to par with Prime 2's difficulty on "normal" mode, or is it a cakewalk?

And just give me any input you can.

I'm making sure to get a Wii for Other M, and I want to know if Prime 3 is worth an extra $20 - $50 on top of those two purchases.

OF NOTE: Please no "Well it's the same, because it's Metroid, and Metroids are all the same and boring and blah blah..."
I have no problems with your negative opinion of the series, but I'm a Metroid fanatic, and that doesn't help in my decision, because I can notice and appreciate the small little changes that occur between titles, even if the base gameplay is basically the same exact thing.

Fay V

Lost to this world
we're talking corruption yes? I rather enjoyed the gameplay, there were parts that I found difficuly, but not so much so that it was no longer fun. It's been a while since I played, but the phason suit thing was interesting to play with. I would say it is more like 1 than 2.
Also in a note of fairness, I did have one friend that felt it had too much backtracking through large levels. Some of the bosses got a bit...easy, but there were later ones that were difficult. I'd say it's at least worth renting. Though i don't feel particularly bothered by having bought it.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
i really enjoyed corruption. the gameplay is awesome and very fluid, it feels so nice to play it with the wiimote^^
but i didnt play prime 1 and 2 yet, so i cant really compare it to one of them. but i can definitely recommend it, its a great game and it was really worth my money^^

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
The gameplay is wonderful, thanks to the freedom the Wii Remote gives the player.
It's not really difficult, though. The only thing that frustrated me was the famous back-tracking particular to this series, and even then only mildly. I am also a Metroid fanatic, and am eagerly awaiting New Year's Day, when Other M is set to be released. I'd just get Trilogy if I were you; the control system is consistent throughout. Also, some words of blasphemy:
Samus Aran is hotter than Krystal!!!!!

Last edited:

Shànwàng

Lavender Scented
As an avid, blood thirsty fan of Metroid Prime 1 and a devotee to the Metroid series as the IP currently stands as my number one favorite. Metroid Prime 3 is not on the same level. However, Metroid Prime 1 is destined to become a must play classic and will probably live forever like Super Metroid.

Having said that, I'm not about to downplay Metroid Prime 3, for in its own right it's a decent game. For starters, it's beautiful enough for a Wii game in both progressive scan and not.

The attempt to add story to 3 was nice, but janky, lacking substance. If I had to name a story that was similar in being shallow, laughable, and forgettable, I'd say Lost Planet. However, the story does functionally end the prime saga. This also applies to the Lore which I consider different from the Prime 3 story. The in game lore completes the saga of the three games, tying both Aether and Talon IV to the third game in one fell swoop.

IF YOU HATED BACK TRACKING IN PRIME 2, GET READY!!!!! Cause it's not very bad in this game. Unfortunately, your first time through will result in an hour or two extra gameplay in back tracking in order to progress forward. Never the less, the game is pretty straight forward which is a plus... but also a negative. Unlike Prime 1 which emulates the exploratory nature of the 2d games (excluding Fusion), 3 (like Fusion) leads you through the game. It's always apparent where your next step is and you usually get your upgrade before coming to the obstacle.

Another mixed bag of fun comes from using the ship. On the one hand, interacting and traveling with the ship adds a nice dimension to gameplay. Unfortunately, it's never useful for anything other than getting past a few obstacles, and worse using the ship to travel between destinations gets tedious after a while, often making the player wonder if it isn't faster to just run to the target zone than to hop into the ship and fly to a zone cross by. Could have used a parachute mechanism, IMO.

The Wiimote does get tiring after a while, though the aiming and tracking is pretty fluid, sometimes the action becomes a little much and you do tend to veer off the screen but overall the experience of the Wiimote is fairly non-controversial.

BOSSES? Boss are good, though I contend Prime 2 had the best bosses in the series, but if one thing is consistent about all Metroid games, is that no matter what boss you come across you'll enjoy playing against it.

So without much else to say, I've played the game through about 5 or six times now, on all three difficulties. Hope this helps.

Taernost

My biggest complaint was the horrible lack of power-ups and versatility in the game; you basically only get beam and missile upgrades instead of new beams and missiles (kind of like Super Metroid, only with fewer upgrades and less control over how they're implemented). Other than that, the story is worthy of the series, I felt, and the worlds and enemies are pretty cool. They finally add ship functionality, but they really needed to do more with it, and difficulty is highly variable with your play-style (there are things you can do to really abuse the game mechanics, and if you do things get almost trivially easy). Also, your map now can be upgraded to show virtually every power up in the entire game, which is both a good and a bad thing I suppose, depending on how you look at it.

Overall, 2 is still the best for challenge, 1 is still the best for soundtrack and atmosphere (man Tallon IV was awesome), but 3 is probably the most cinematic and fun to play around with. Depending on whether you play games for an exciting challenge, an immersive experience, or just to have fun, 3 may or may not be as enjoyable for you as the others, but I still strongly recommend it myself.

Stratelier

Also worth noting that if you don't have MP3 already and looking to purchase it, go for the Trilogy as it's all three games for the same $50. The Trilogy versions of P1 and P2 play just the same as you remember them (with notable exceptions for Wii Remote aiming and MP3's Spring Ball).

I also think MP3 has the best Space Pirates of the trilogy. MP1's pirates were second in line (play the game enough and you'll notice some of the subtle touches, like how some Pirates will use cover even when others just try to rush you) and the only real stumble was how the elemental Pirates (wave/ice/plasma) still fired the same old energy blasts (no elemental side-effects like Metroid Prime's breath attacks had).

MP2 was a lot more difficult all right, especially that battle against the Emperor Ing. He could take down Metroid Prime's final form any day.

Taernost

Also worth noting that if you don't have MP3 already and looking to purchase it, go for the Trilogy as it's all three games for the same $50. The Trilogy versions of P1 and P2 play just the same as you remember them (with notable exceptions for Wii Remote aiming and MP3's Spring Ball).

I also think MP3 has the best Space Pirates of the trilogy. MP1's pirates were second in line (play the game enough and you'll notice some of the subtle touches, like how some Pirates will use cover even when others just try to rush you) and the only real stumble was how the elemental Pirates (wave/ice/plasma) still fired the same old energy blasts (no elemental side-effects like Metroid Prime's breath attacks had).

MP2 was a lot more difficult all right, especially that battle against the Emperor Ing. He could take down Metroid Prime's final form any day.

Should note that from what I've heard (though I can't yet verify this personally), there was actually a graphical down-grade in MP1 and MP2 for the collection. Still, if that doesn't bother you, the change to the control scheme alone would probably make it worth picking that up (sadly for me, I owned all three before they announced this collection, so I can't justify purchasing it even though I'd really like to use that control scheme on the first two games, not to mention have an excuse to replay them again).

Stratelier

Should note that from what I've heard (though I can't yet verify this personally), there was actually a graphical down-grade in MP1 and MP2 for the collection....

Merely mentioning the word "downgrade" makes it sound like something major, but it's not. If you don't have the GCN originals, Trilogy is the way to go.

Kangamutt

Should note that from what I've heard (though I can't yet verify this personally), there was actually a graphical down-grade in MP1 and MP2 for the collection.

It's nothing worth complaining about.

But MP3 is definitely worth it. Great level designs, highly immersive, and an excellent soundtrack. Though the Wii interface can get tiring at times, it's still worth playing.