• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Mmmm FireFox 2.0

TheLostWolf

That bitch
I still love no-script and forcastfox... IE doesn't have anything on FF's extentions..

Myr

Big Dragon
TheLostWolf said:
I still love no-script and forcastfox... IE doesn't have anything on FF's extentions..
Yeah, and I made the mistake of allowing my computer to update to IE7 last night (it started showing up on windows update as an optional install. I think it'll be required by the end of next week). Not only did half the internet break (css in particular), the installation take almost all night (seriously, it took longer than most video games I install and that's sad), and there's zero customizability in the layout of the buttons and controls, but now I'm also stuck with it.

FireFox seems to have gotten a little UI update but I still see the gif problems. Not sure about memory management. After the IE7 debacle I disabled and stopped all of my updating activities so this computer isn't equipped with FF2.0. This one is stuck with IE7 and the work computer is the one with FF2.0 and IE6.

IE7 is going to be a real pain in the ass for me to deal with in the next few months because nearly every page on my university's website isn't displaying properly and it's my job to go fix that. Thanks Microsoft...bastards! I'm sure the release date was fixed to coincide with FireFox too just like Halo 3 with Playstation 3. Standards non-compliant by design, just like frontpage. Time for more people to switch to Opera until FireFox gets that gif, ' key, and memory problem fixed up.

If anyone knows a FireFox developer, please bitch about the ' key for me. >^.=.^< I hate it and I want that keyboard shortcut removed! Then maybe I'll use FireFox again. I can live with gif and memory problems (I have tons of memory), but when I'm typing in here, hit the ' key, and the stupid find thing pops up and interrupts my typing plus makes me have to copy/paste a ' into my forum post, I get pissy. :p

quentinwolf

Myr said:
If anyone knows a FireFox developer, please bitch about the ' key for me. >^.=.^< I hate it and I want that keyboard shortcut removed! Then maybe I'll use FireFox again. I can live with gif and memory problems (I have tons of memory), but when I'm typing in here, hit the ' key, and the stupid find thing pops up and interrupts my typing plus makes me have to copy/paste a ' into my forum post, I get pissy. :p

Oh my god... I COMPLETELY agree with you, the whole ' issue is a pain in the ass... :evil::evil::evil: *sigh* I wish there were a way to re-map that to something else. XD I'd put it under an f-key instead.

DavidN

What version of FF is that feature in? I'm rather reluctant to bother upgrading now because it sounds stupidly devastating (and also rather insulting seeing as there's the applied assumption that no one bothers to use apostrophes on the Internet).

TheLostWolf

That bitch
Huh.. I've never had an issue nor noticed the apostrohe issue?
Maybe there is a way to diable it and I did it accidently?

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
the apostrophe thing was present in 1.5 and remains in 2.0, though I've never personally had any problems with it; firefox knows when I'm putting the ' in a text box and when I'm not.

DMKA

The only extension that's at all useful, in my opinion, is Adblock. So far I really like Firefox 2. It seems to run more smoothly and waste less of my memory than the previous version.

I haven't touched IE7, so I can't really say anything about it. If it weren't for tabs however, I would of never switched from IE Firefox in the first place, and pages still load way faster in IE6.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well you can change about any setting by typing "about:config" in your firefox browser.
If the bug still shows up you can check your user.js file and see if the setting is there.

I never had that problem to be honest.

http://www.adammessinger.com/2005/12/20/firefox-find-bug-fix

Myr

Big Dragon
Hanazawa said:
the apostrophe thing was present in 1.5 and remains in 2.0, though I've never personally had any problems with it; firefox knows when I'm putting the ' in a text box and when I'm not.
Arshes Nei said:
I never had that problem to be honest.
When you type into the regular HTML forms it normally always works. I've very rarely come across an exception to that. But, if you click to edit your post with "quick edit" your post will appear inside a flash box and you'll be editing it there. Every single time I'm on that I experience this problem. FF only seems to be aware of HTML textareas and not those of other formats.

Arshes Nei said:
Well you can change about any setting by typing "about:config" in your firefox browser.
If the bug still shows up you can check your user.js file and see if the setting is there.

http://www.adammessinger.com/2005/12/20/firefox-find-bug-fix
I've tried that in the past and it doesn't work. The ' key has been given the same power as CTRL F.

EDIT: Oh yeah, btw, the ' is marked as an official keyboard shortcut to the find system. Whoever put these in obviously never used a forum or never typed in a flash textbox:

Find As You Type Link '
Find As You Type Text /

nobuyuki

Myr said:
I stopped using FireFox when some brilliant person decided to link the Find function to the ' key. I have all sorts of trouble typing on some forums and into some forms because of that stupid hotkey. I can't find a way to disable it either. I was happy with CTRL F and they had to go ruin things by assigning ' to the same thing. :(

Opera > FireFox > IE

Btw - Did FireFox ever fix the gif problems?

This bug was fixed for me in firefox 2. It was introduced in firefox 1.5 and annoyed the bejeezus out of me. It has to do with quick find and window focus and crap like that. Unfocus and refocus the window to alleviate the problem if it ever happens to you. As for GIF problems, if you mean the speed on some GIF files, that is actually how it's supposed to look.... The speed limitation on IE is artificial and forces images to have a delay of at least I think it was 20ms, which is terrible for making fast action GIF files.

P.S. Aikon, FireFox supposedly was more efficient and used less memory than IE7, though I can't back the claim on the latter, the former is definitely true from the barrage of tests that was done on it -- Firefox 2 is more efficient than Firefox 1.5, memory-wise, by quite a bit, which prompted me to upgrade.

Almost all known memory leaks have also been patched.

Myr

Big Dragon
I just downloaded and installed FF 2.0 and that didn't change anything. As far as the documentation goes, having / and ' as find keys is a feature and not a bug. I didn't realize it, but the / key thing does the same as the ' key so I have both. If this was a real bug I'd like to know why it's documented in help as a feature. It's a real deal-breaker for me as it doesn't work some of the time. Even after editing the config file I've not been able to kill this thing.

For gif's, the annoyance is when multiple animated gifs are on the screen symultaneously or if you see one large one that's at least 300x300 pixels. It just slows FF down badly. The more gif's the worse.

Hanazawa

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
Opera.

That is all.

I have mixed feelings about Opera. a lot of websites I like or need to use break in it (I can't do my schoolwork in it, for example). even if that's the web programmer's "fault", I think it says something when a page loads in FireFox and not in Opera :/

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Myr said:
For gif's, the annoyance is when multiple animated gifs are on the screen symultaneously or if you see one large one that's at least 300x300 pixels. It just slows FF down badly. The more gif's the worse.
There's always the ESC key to kill all animation onscreen. And i honestly didn't ever notice FF going slow due to /many/ animations. Or at least not slow enough for me to notice. And all i have is Athlon XP 1700+

Hanazawa said:
I have mixed feelings about Opera. a lot of websites I like or need to use break in it (I can't do my schoolwork in it, for example). even if that's the web programmer's "fault", I think it says something when a page loads in FireFox and not in Opera :/
Thou Opera, IIRC, won in the ACID test against FF and IE, it is a lot less tolerant to content errors. A bit of bad HTML/CSS usually /ignored/ or optimized by other browsers can really ruin a website in Opera.

As for me, i really don't have any other alternative to what FF offers me, and what i am really in the need of. Web Developer Toolbar, Firebug, Bookmark sync and sort, View rendered source and may many more plugins is what i use every day.

Good to know memory leaks are gone :p

Hanazawa

yak said:
Thou Opera, IIRC, won in the ACID test against FF and IE, it is a lot less tolerant to content errors. A bit of bad HTML/CSS usually /ignored/ or optimized by other browsers can really ruin a website in Opera.

*nods*

Even more than that, when I was building a website, I was running it through those CSS and HTML verifiers, the ones that check for holes or bugs in the coding; pages would check out 100% in those, display fine in FF and IE, and have some weirdity in Opera that would force me to not use it, else have a funny looking site :/

Rhainor

Rawr.
Myr said:
...just like Halo 3 with Playstation 3.

Uh, if you still believe that, your information is very out-of-date. Bill Gates said he wanted Halo 3 out in time to counter the PS3, and Bungie responded with "No. It'll be done when it's done." Current official Halo 3 release schedule is "Sometime in 2007".

As for Firefox 2, I've noticed little or no memory leakage, and I've *never* had the problem Myr is complaining about with the ' bringing up the Find when typing in the quick-edit.

badkittyamy

yeah I used to not want to use firefox because it couldn;t manage some coding, I;ve optimized my site to be firefox and ie compliant but i'm not going to run it through 3+ freaking browsers just to make sure every person on the planet can see my website because they have some weir preference in a browser that can't read perfectly normal html coding (I.e. opera)

robomilk

fruit bat at large
I just installed Firefox 2.0 and also restarted my computer soon after. Now FF won't work. It opens then freezes. I've tried reinstalling over it. Uninstalling then reinstalling and even uninstalling and installing version 1.5 but that's not working either.

I've also tried FF Safe Mode, which just crashes.

Help?

Myr

Big Dragon
WelcomeTheCollapse said:
Opera.

That is all.
I love Opera. That's what I'm using now. >^.=.^< It works 90% of the time and I rarely ever see it display a page wrong where I know it made the mistake and not the programmer. However, Opera always has problems when it comes to uploading or downloading files from my University's online course management software. I can view content and discussions, but I can't upload anything in Opera or the site will show me errors. :/

Opera's games in their widgets and IRC built in are really really useful for at work. It's great for hiding or shuffling things around so the boss doesn't realize what you're up to. :p

Hanazawa

Myr said:
Opera's games in their widgets and IRC built in are really really useful for at work. It's great for hiding or shuffling things around so the boss doesn't realize what you're up to. :p

I discovered the other night that Opera actually runs .torrent files D: (though the thing ran much better in a dedicated torrent client).

but yes, the day I discovered TETRIS FOR OPERA was an awesome day indeed.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
robomilk said:
I just installed Firefox 2.0 and also restarted my computer soon after. Now FF won't work. It opens then freezes. I've tried reinstalling over it. Uninstalling then reinstalling and even uninstalling and installing version 1.5 but that's not working either.

I've also tried FF Safe Mode, which just crashes.

Help?

I have to ask my friend but I had a similar problem with Nero actually. It was something to do with the msi file and there was something stuck in windows xp that was causing the freeze.

As long as we're on the subject of "Your browser sucks, get the one I have", here's some of the little quirks that I love about Opera:

1. Mouse Gestures. Why didn't anybody else think of this? This is great! All commonly-used functions can be accessed by holding down RMB and moving the mouse a certain way. Great for when I'm browsing with only my laptop's touchpad.

2. If I open, say, a bunch of tabs to YouTube videos, the videos don't start playing until I go to that tab. Really convenient contrast to FireFox.

3. Clicking on usernames in the window that pops up if you click "See All" under, say, the "Is Watching" panel in FA. They all open up in new tabs in the first browser window instead of the popped-up one. It's little, but it's nice.

4. Widgets. Can be useful or fun. Or neither. Cool for a quick game or mouse sketch. Hell, I even have a binary clock widget that stays on top of the browser window.

5. Built-in zooming if your OS doesn't have it already. Built-in .torrent client and IRC client.

I could go on, but then I'd get boring. :p And I don't think I've had a page with messed-up HTML yet.

Hanazawa

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
1. Mouse Gestures.
Not a standard feature, but downloadable as an extension in firefox.

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
3. Clicking on usernames in the window that pops up if you click "See All" under, say, the "Is Watching" panel in FA. They all open up in new tabs in the first browser window instead of the popped-up one.
Established earlier in this thread that you can make firefox do that.

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
5. Built-in zooming if your OS doesn't have it already. Built-in .torrent client and IRC client.
The torrent thing doesn't work that well (from my experience), and firefox also has an extension called ChatZilla that will run IRC through the browser.

They're both pretty good browsers, honestly. :D

SFox

Well, I just upgraded to 2.0.
I have already noticed a nice general speed increase from the old version. I don't know if I had a broken install causing my old version to be slower than it should or what, but this is pretty odd.

And speaking of Opera, once upon a time I was a dedicated fan of that browser... that is until I discovered Firefox. Firefox can do anything opera can, and far more. Anything that Opera can do that Firefox doesn't come built with, can be added with extensions.

One invaluable thing that Firefox has that Opera probably never will is an extension that allows you to browse with IE's engine... directly in a Firefox tab. So you don't have to switch to IE to use poorly designed web sites that only work well with IE.