• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Mmmm FireFox 2.0

somberfox said:
One invaluable thing that Firefox has that Opera probably never will is an extension that allows you to browse with IE's engine... directly in a Firefox tab. So you don't have to switch to IE to use poorly designed web sites that only work well with IE.

Oooh, that's cool. I'll have to try to find that extension.

/Using both Opera and FF
//Indecisive
///...maybe. I don't know. You think so?

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Hanazawa said:
WelcomeTheCollapse said:
1. Mouse Gestures.
Not a standard feature, but downloadable as an extension in firefox.

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
3. Clicking on usernames in the window that pops up if you click "See All" under, say, the "Is Watching" panel in FA. They all open up in new tabs in the first browser window instead of the popped-up one.
Established earlier in this thread that you can make firefox do that.

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
5. Built-in zooming if your OS doesn't have it already. Built-in .torrent client and IRC client.
The torrent thing doesn't work that well (from my experience), and firefox also has an extension called ChatZilla that will run IRC through the browser.

They're both pretty good browsers, honestly. :D
The more i read the more i convince myself that this is a matter of "built in" vs. "have to manually add" matter.
It is official - Firefox can do everything that Opera can, and much much more. But that comes at a price of additional fuss with installing and configuring of extensions, which not all people are comfortable with.
If the conversation's topic was the rendering engines of the said browsers and their details, or the interface and how it is reflected on usability - then yes, i'd have understood. But when it comes to features, no closed source software product can beat open-source plugin-based analogue.

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
somberfox said:
One invaluable thing that Firefox has that Opera probably never will is an extension that allows you to browse with IE's engine... directly in a Firefox tab. So you don't have to switch to IE to use poorly designed web sites that only work well with IE.

Oooh, that's cool. I'll have to try to find that extension.

/Using both Opera and FF
//Indecisive
///...maybe. I don't know. You think so?
That extension is called "IETab". And there are others, like 'Statusbar like Opera' 'Img like Opera' and 'View in Opera', that let you make your FF as close to Opera functionality as you wish/need.

--

I do realize i sound like a fan, because i am, but in a constructive kind of way.
I respect the product for it's almost unlimited possibilities in customisation, both interface and feature wise, for not shitting on standarts (too much) and the people that make the effort to keep this browser alive and stable.

(and if you love IE, you should try being a web developer XD)

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
robomilk said:
I just installed Firefox 2.0 and also restarted my computer soon after. Now FF won't work. It opens then freezes. I've tried reinstalling over it. Uninstalling then reinstalling and even uninstalling and installing version 1.5 but that's not working either.

I've also tried FF Safe Mode, which just crashes.

Help?

Hi Robomilk,

Least I hope you're still looking at this thread. I think your firefox problem may be related to several things.

1. Do you have any extensions you installed with firefox. If so, get rid of them.

2. You may have a corrupt profile and need to delete it. Delete all your profile information to see if that works.

DMKA

Opera always ran like crap and waste time doing stupid pointless crap like telling me how many jpegs are on a web page. No thanks.

robomilk

fruit bat at large
Arshes Nei said:
robomilk said:
I just installed Firefox 2.0 and also restarted my computer soon after. Now FF won't work. It opens then freezes. I've tried reinstalling over it. Uninstalling then reinstalling and even uninstalling and installing version 1.5 but that's not working either.

Help?

Hi Robomilk,

Least I hope you're still looking at this thread. I think your firefox problem may be related to several things.

1. Do you have any extensions you installed with firefox. If so, get rid of them.

2. You may have a corrupt profile and need to delete it. Delete all your profile information to see if that works.

I have tried both to no avail.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Ok, there are a few articles talking about this as well:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=365156

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29

See if any of those are the problem.

The other thing I had to do with Nero (the problem I had earlier which might be the same problem with firefox -which the install would freeze, was actually unzipping the msi setup file and running it that way I would install, then uninstall, then Nero would work fine).

robomilk said:
Arshes Nei said:
robomilk said:

Help?

Hi Robomilk,

I have tried both to no avail.

I'm far to familiar with your issue. Firefox 2.0 crashes a good 2~6 times a day on me, at times more. I tried all the things i could. From full deletion of every trace of Firefox to troubleshooting plug-ins.

It crashes just at random, no content is seemingly the cause of it. At times when i click the launch icon it even doesn't show up at all and i have to go into Task-manager to kill it off manually and try again. Then it usual does show up properly.

Whatever they did to Firefox, it doesn't agree with my PC. If it wasn't for Firefox recovery i would have gone nut by now. I have to note that i tried Firefox 2.0 RC2 and it never gave me these troubles before this final version.

Udedenkz

FF2 + FasterF + Adblock + FilterGSet = Ownage of teh internetz

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
Well, I've been using Bon Echo since it hit the Gentoo Portage tree. (It's called Bon Echo due to the trademark legalities Mozilla has set forth. Although I can make it call itself Firefox and use the Firefox logo by using the mozbranding USE flag, I just choose not too.) It's quite nice, alot faster than the 1.x branch, and uses quite alot less RAM as well. Not a single crash either. I even loaded up a page with a ton of animated GIFs, no slowdown like the 1.x branch, although it did eat quite a bit of swap.

I have to admit, I hate the default skin though, doesn't fit in with any KDE theme or even any GTK+ ones. I ended up getting the Mostly Crystal theme so it at least matched.

Anyway, using the handy "My Config" feature in the MR Tech Local Install extension, here's the extensions and themes I got:

Generated: Wed Nov 22 2006 07:55:42 GMT-0500 (EST)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061120 BonEcho/2.0
Build ID: 0000000000

Enabled Extensions: [9]
- Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.6.2
- Bookmark Sync and Sort 1.0.7
- Download Statusbar 0.9.4.5
- FoxyTunes 2.0.4
- Image Zoom 0.2.7
- MR Tech Local Install 5.3.1.1
- NoScript 1.1.4.5
- Preferential 0.8.2
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5

Disabled Extensions: [1]
- DOM Inspector 1.8.1

Total Extensions: 10

Installed Themes: [2]
- Firefox (default)
- Mostly Crystal 2.0.0.9

Installed Plugins: (10)
- DivX Browser Plug-In
- Google VLC multimedia plugin 1.0
- Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible
- Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_09-b03
- MozPlugger 1.7.3 handles QuickTime Windows Media Player Plugin
- mplayerplug-in 3.31
- QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7
- RealPlayer 9
- Shockwave Flash
- Windows Media Player Plugin

Note that I don't have any adblock extension, don't need it. My transparent squid proxy takes care of blocking any ad hosts. ^_^

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Firefox will restore your sessions on startup, you don't need to do a false crash.

To have Firefox to restart where you were when you last closed it:

1. From Firefox Tools Menu select Options…
2. From Main in the Startup section, When Firefox starts: select from the drop-down menu Show my windows and tabs from last time
3. Click OK

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Also, it finally performs searches in text within a <textarea> tag. Like the one i'm writing this text in right now.