• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Module files uploadable please!

NovaYoshi

Illegal opcode enthusiast
I wish FurAffinity would let me upload my chiptune in it's normal format instead of stupid .WAV... It screws up the looping and you can't even play it on a real NES without using Frantik's solution and using the DPCM channel for the whole thing...
I'd like to be able to upload the MOD, XM, IT, S3M, FTMs, NEDs and NSFs I make, please!

Nanakisan

Wild lunatic!
Furaffinity can only play .mp3 or .wav because those 2 filetypes are the only ones i know of to this date that can be played using common players like real and quicktime. also if your gonna submit a file that doesn't work for FA just give it a icon both ways in a art submission and give the people a link to a place where they can download your file at.
http://www.mediafire.com/ is an exceelent file hosting service that is free and has unlimited uploading and downloading and unlimited disk space avaialble for free. all there is, is a 100 megabyte per file limit

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Why in their right mind would they ALLOW _WAV_ files?? Those files are huge when they get over a minute...say about 10MB for a minute of raw waveform.

T

TakeWalker

Knowing nothing about those file types, I ask:

If you can convert them into .wavs, then why not go one step farther and convert those wavs to mp3s? Less space required, thus less upload time and better overall quality. Encoders aren't hard to find.

NovaYoshi

Furaffinity can only play .mp3 or .wav because those 2 filetypes are the only ones i know of to this date that can be played using common players like real and quicktime. also if your gonna submit a file that doesn't work for FA just give it a icon both ways in a art submission and give the people a link to a place where they can download your file at.
http://www.mediafire.com/ is an exceelent file hosting service that is free and has unlimited uploading and downloading and unlimited disk space avaialble for free. all there is, is a 100 megabyte per file limit

I know, but I'm too lazy to upload when I should be able to upload everything to the same place and I've had bad experiences with file upload places and download slots and crap... There is a such thing as WinAmp, and it's pretty common too. I might be convinced to stop uploading my music to FurAffinity and instead upload it to modarchive.org, since they actually allow module files and since they also took two seconds and added a simple opensource module file previewer in Java...
I already submit my sourcecode as renamed 'poetry' since FurAffinity doesn't let you upload .C files but this is just ridiculous... at least I didn't go and use Tepples' utility for encoding text into an audio file where you have to view the spectrum to read it...

If you can convert them into .wavs, then why not go one step farther and convert those wavs to mp3s? Less space required, thus less upload time and better overall quality. Encoders aren't hard to find.
One, MP3s are propietary crap (Unlike OGGs which aren't allowed either) and not free, and second, they aren't lossless.

Last edited:

NovaYoshi

Dude I don't even KNOW what most of those formats are.

I don't think you are gonna be able to get those in a browser..
They're module files. Sorta like MIDI files in that they contain notes instead of the raw data but you get to supply your own samples for the instruments.

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?

Not really...
Let's see, I got a 90KB .mod here. Convert to a LAME -V6 encoded MP3 = 30MB. I don't be thinking that's smaller. (The mod goes on for about an hour)

My $0.02CDN.

krisCrash

Are .mods embeddable in flash like videos are, etc? That's a fast way to make it web friendly.

30MB for a 60-minute song is, actually, quite cheap. If that were a .WAV you'd have to measure it in gigabytes.

...but it COULD be 90kb, that was his point.

NovaYoshi

Are .mods embeddable in flash like videos are, etc? That's a fast way to make it web friendly.
They don't need to be. I've already seen someone release a module file playback thingy in Java so you don't need one in Flash...

T

TakeWalker

One, MP3s are propietary crap (Unlike OGGs which aren't allowed either) and not free, and second, they aren't lossless.

1) I have no idea what you're talking about. You can upload them on FA. You can't upload the other filetypes you desire.

2) That's neither here nor there. My point was more...

Not really...
Let's see, I got a 90KB .mod here. Convert to a LAME -V6 encoded MP3 = 30MB. I don't be thinking that's smaller. (The mod goes on for about an hour)

My $0.02CDN.

I must have been unclear. I mean they're smaller than the wavs, not the original mod files (I know those things take up zero space). With wavs being another legitimate, uploadable music file, mp3s become the more economical choice. This is, of course, assuming nothing changes.

NovaYoshi

1) I have no idea what you're talking about. You can upload them on FA. You can't upload the other filetypes you desire.
Exactly. Why argue an opposing viewpoint when you don't understand the issue fully?

Renard_v

FAT DONGS
I There is a such thing as WinAmp, and it's pretty common too. I might be convinced to stop uploading my music to FurAffinity and instead upload it to modarchive.org, since they actually allow module files and since they also took two seconds and added a simple opensource module file previewer in Java

winamp does not play module files properly for the most part unless you get a good plugin.

having FA use a seperate player for module files would be silly, considering how few people use trackers. all of my music is in IT format, but it doesn't play in anything properly, including modplug's plugin, due to it not being updated along with OpenMPT.

implementing the player could be a pain, as well, considering that FA doesn't use a javascript player, but a flash one. using separate players for audio submissions based on the filetype could be a bothersome task, and especially (again) considering the small tracker userbase. you also have to remember that people also use tons of other trackers and other tracker formats, and modplug's player doesn't play them all, and doesn't even play a few standard ones properly due to advances in the IT file format.

Last edited:

krisCrash

Would it be too much topic hijacking if I asked what you used to make those files?
I only have Mario Paint Composer :lol:

T

TakeWalker

Exactly. Why argue an opposing viewpoint when you don't understand the issue fully?

I just fail to see how MP3s not being "free" has anything to do with this. You can create MP3s of your own work as much as you want: get some Winamp and some LAME encoder, and you're set. Do you have some kind of vendetta? That wouldn't be terribly surprising. It also won't help you upload your mod files any faster.

NovaYoshi

winamp does not play module files properly for the most part unless you get a good plugin.
Maybe not your copy of WinAmp but I never needed to install plugins to play module files, just plugins to play my NSFs, SMCs, and SIDs, for the NES, SNES, and C64 respectively.
I just fail to see how MP3s not being "free" has anything to do with this.
I can't legally just go and create my own MP3 decoder. It's propietary stuff, and I'm against that, in favor of opensource software.
Would it be too much topic hijacking if I asked what you used to make those files?
I only have Mario Paint Composer :lol:
For my NES music I use FamiTracker ( http://famitracker.shoodot.net/ )
For my other module files I use ModPlug Tracker (The opensource version)

Last edited:

Nanakisan

Wild lunatic!
I know, but I'm too lazy to upload when I should be able to upload everything to the same place and I've had bad experiences with file upload places and download slots and crap... There is a such thing as WinAmp, and it's pretty common too. I might be convinced to stop uploading my music to FurAffinity and instead upload it to modarchive.org, since they actually allow module files and since they also took two seconds and added a simple opensource module file previewer in Java...
I already submit my sourcecode as renamed 'poetry' since FurAffinity doesn't let you upload .C files but this is just ridiculous... at least I didn't go and use Tepples' utility for encoding text into an audio file where you have to view the spectrum to read it...

consider me a jerk for saying this. but you just openly admitted to be to lazy to even upload when like 90kb something would take like only what 10 maybe 20 seconds on a good connection maybe less. so whos more to blame here.

Firehazard

I can fix it!
I can't legally just go and create my own MP3 decoder. It's propietary stuff, and I'm against that, in favor of opensource software.

So yes, you do have a vendetta.

Look, you. You and all the people who are blocking the most popular media formats from entering the HTML 5 standard. GIF was proprietary for the first several years of the Internet's existence, and JPEG still has patents on it. Would you have been against those becoming standards? Especially JPEG, whose "proprietary" algorithms still haven't been topped for efficiency in processing photos?

*sigh* Getting back to the point, we have to draw the line somewhere. Just like we limit images to GIF, JPEG, and PNG, we limit our audio formats to the common ones (although clearly our list is borked... WAV? And no AAC or OGG? Good grief). Adding support for chiptune files would be like adding support for, say, Amiga ILBM or something. You're better off looking for chiptune communities to share your work with.

Last edited:

Renard_v

FAT DONGS
Maybe not your copy of WinAmp but I never needed to install plugins to play module files,

they play in winamp, just not properly. if you use plugins, they will not load; if you use certain instrument commands, they will not work; a lot of volume and pitch automation does not work; most importantly, OpenMPT supports "modern" tempo calculation, which does NOT work in winamp. the song will play at an improper speed.