• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Monster Suit Progress

Lunneus

Perpetually Tired
This a suit of my character Malek > www.furaffinity.net: Monster Malek by Lunneus

It's coming along pretty well! the only parts actually glued are the foam at the very top of the head and the lower jaw (it's a talk jaw), everything else is being temporarily held by T-pins. I'm not entirely sure if everything's evenly carved but it looks even to me.

I'm struggling around the eye sockets though cause that's definitely not carved even and im trying to figure out how to fix it, so if you have any suggestions i'm all ears!

Also this is particularly challenging because the armature i have has an upward tilt to the head :/ so i have to build the whole thing at an angle to make sure nothing wonky happens

Anyway pics!
(these were taken last night)

(vvv these were taken today after some edits vvv)

Last edited:

Cyanomega

Hey Lunneus , just want to say, having the steadiness or hand, skill, creativity and vision to create something that requires dedication and passion like a fursuit are an admiral skill and I'm both envious and amazed at the dedication you and many others bring to it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Deathless

ƤƦƠƓ MЄƬƛԼ ЄƝʆƠƳЄƦ
So far, so good! I absolutely love the character too!
I wish you nothing but the best with your suit! Please keep us updated!

Lunneus

Perpetually Tired
@Cyanomega and @Deathless
Thanks to the both of you! This really is a labor of love cause jesus, this is a lot of work! (and mess...)

Also some updates! I've finished the all the major carving of the head so i'm moving on to the eyes. they probably seem a little small, but with how Malek's eyes are, they're going to be 100% mesh with only foamies on the rim for the 3D effect.
Also for the eyes i'm using this stuff i found at walmart called plastic mesh canvas. It kinda looks like that vinyl mesh stuff they have on amazon. it has really good visibility but you can DEFINITELY tell it's mesh, but oh well, i can't find buckram anywhere around here :| also it seems ot take acrylic paint really well so that's a plus, im still going to seal it one im done though.
I'm also considering doing those magnetic eye lids but i dunno at the moment, so i just went ahead and marked them out.

Also, today's work progress is brought to you by Patches by VocaCircus/Circus-P and By My Side by NoStraightAnswer playing on repeat for a few hours lol
really good music, highly reccomend!

Cyanomega

Great job and keep at it. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Lunneus

Perpetually Tired
Another updateroo

I've put the eyes mostly in. they need more gluing to make sure they're secured. also the 3D effect wasn't as strong as i wanted but that might be cause of how his eyes are with the really small pupil and no iris.
I've also got the bottom jaw lined and magnets in place. i also made a tongue but it looked awful so i scrapped it.
i haven't gotten to the ears yet cause i carved some only to realize they were way too small

also also, im gonna use the lining to pull in the left side of the upper jaw some. it's sticking out too much

Today's work has been brought to you by Courage by nostraightanswer as well several livestreams of astral chain lol

Deathless

ƤƦƠƓ MЄƬƛԼ ЄƝʆƠƳЄƦ
Yay! He's got some peepers!
I agree with the jaw, but he's coming together nicely!!
I can't wait to see the finished product! <3

Lunneus

Perpetually Tired
So the head is finished now! Well, as far as foamwork goes. I haven't added the tongue in yet still cause i really don't feel like moving my workstation to get in the closet. I took these yesterday, so it doesn't show that i took in the ears some more around the midway point to make them look more like they bulge back out at the top. Also, so i used the lining of the mouth to pull the upper left jaw in, but then ended up pulling it in too much! rip

I'm not sure which to move on to next; either the pants or the tail. I'm making a super-motion tail(imagine those wooden snake toys with the slits down the sides) so it's carved entirely out of foam and the legs are going to use leggings as a base with added foam to make them digi looking. im basically trying to get all the foam work out of the way and pattern them before buying fabric and all that so i don't end up buying way too much. and having to find storage for it.

also, if there's anyone with tips for the tail tip, i'd really love to hear it! I thought of carving ti too, and someone else mentioned using foamies but i really don't know what'd be best.

Lunneus

Perpetually Tired
So i decided to tackle the tail next, though i took a little break in between to get some art stuff done cause i've been neglecting that. Anyway! I was able to start and finish the tail last night so that was cool, it only took around... hmm... 3 or 4 hours?
The tail int he tutorial was a lot more flexible, but it was also thinner, Malek's tail is pretty chonk so it's not as flexible, but it'll wiggle nicely! I also tried carving the tip but that didn't work out, so im gonna try foamies once i figure out how to do that. I'm thinking it'll be a thing of making a pattern, cutting it out and then glueing/sewing it together and maybe add a little stuffing so it doesn't collapse. i think... if anyone has another idea, im all ears!

also only one pic this time cause there wasn't' really a whole lot to show of the process.