• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

More site slowdowns

From the debug info at the footer:

Page generated in 2.041 seconds [ 13.6% PHP, 86.4% SQL ] (16 queries)

aquavixen

Like a fox!
You guys are reporting this as if this is some news or something. The site has never been "Fast". It's always slow and always crawls along at slow speeds. This is nothing new and probably doesn't even need reporting. They don't do anything to make the site faster around here, even if you report it. No one cares how slow it is as long as people keep viewing it.

PheagleAdler

You guys are reporting this as if this is some news or something. The site has never been "Fast". It's always slow and always crawls along at slow speeds. This is nothing new and probably doesn't even need reporting. They don't do anything to make the site faster around here, even if you report it. No one cares how slow it is as long as people keep viewing it.

Page generated in 0.027 seconds

Tell me how the site is consistantly taking 2 seconds to load a page.

aquavixen

Like a fox!
Page generated in 0.027 seconds

Tell me how the site is consistantly taking 2 seconds to load a page.

Any gallery on FA I can click on it and the "page generated in blah blah seconds" is indeed low, but sitting there and watching the gallery thumbnails appear can take.. up to more than a minute sometimes. Where as any other website I go to everything just pops up instantly. FA is slow as sludge, always. I generally avoid it because of this. And don't go off saying it's my system, I'm on 4.4 ghz i7 with verizon fios 50 Mbps internet, it's FA, it's horrible. It's always been this way as long as I can remember and has never been speedy.. like the rest of the internet is.

PheagleAdler

seems odd that'd just be the thumnails

GreenReaper

Rambling Norn

Many systems dynamically generate thumbnails upon request, and some do not permanently save them. FA has millions of submissions, and storing all of the variously-sized thumbnails and small versions would take significant disk space (in some cases, as much as the image itself); plus copies may be needed on multiple servers for performance reasons. In this case, it may make sense to decouple page generation and serving from the image scaling required for thumbnail generation. Unfortunately, the scaling process can then become a bottleneck.

Unless the thumbnails are being served from a different server (which based on the domain they're being loaded from, looks to be the case) and said server is having issues.

Though with the occasional page generation time spike the database server seems to be starting to struggle as well.

With the reports starting to come in, let's see. Will the administration be proactive, or reactive?