• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Most maddening thing in the furry fandom?

Fay V

Lost to this world
It's frustrating how if you don't have a fursuit you are less likely to be friends with one of the 'cooler' or 'more mature' furs (mature only in that they had enough money somehow to afford a fursuit). A majority of the furry vids on youtube are all about the suiters, and then they've got some of the most attended panels at furry conventions, and it seems like many of the furs I've known stop talking to me once they get a fursuit. Ah well I better start saving up.
Yeah...Fursuits are the equivalent of bright plumage. It's something that makes people stick out from the humans, so they become known and people want others to recognize them in a crowd. it's true 90% of all suiters, if not more, are not interesting at all under the mask. I am no exception to this. the only reason I am known by people is my fursuit.

It sucks when people are dicks about it though, on both sides really. "you have to be friends with me, you're a fursuiter" "I won't be friends with you, you're not a fursuiter."

That reminds me of something though. I hate the bitterness in the fandom. Not to say anyone here is doing it, just reminded me is all. There's a lot of furs that just resent popular artists or fursuiters or whatever just because...they're popular for whatever reason. It seems to seep into this terrible cycle where they want the popularity, try to ride coattails or be friends with the popular person, then getting piiiissed when the other person is genuinely not interested or doesn't become instant bffs because someone said "nice suit" a few times.
It's just sad to watch.

Cocobanana

Yeah, there's no point in being bitter over if someone is popular or not because that's implying being popular holds any value. If anything, the more people there are who are relying on you for entertainment or whatever other reason, the more miserable you are trying to please everyone enough that your throat isn't slit in your sleep. Just look at JFK, John Lennon, or Gandhi, for examples of popularity gone wrong.

Toshabi

Banned
Banned
Yeah...Fursuits are the equivalent of bright plumage. It's something that makes people stick out from the humans, so they become known and people want others to recognize them in a crowd. it's true 90% of all suiters, if not more, are not interesting at all under the mask. I am no exception to this. the only reason I am known by people is my fursuit.

It sucks when people are dicks about it though, on both sides really. "you have to be friends with me, you're a fursuiter" "I won't be friends with you, you're not a fursuiter."

That reminds me of something though. I hate the bitterness in the fandom. Not to say anyone here is doing it, just reminded me is all. There's a lot of furs that just resent popular artists or fursuiters or whatever just because...they're popular for whatever reason. It seems to seep into this terrible cycle where they want the popularity, try to ride coattails or be friends with the popular person, then getting piiiissed when the other person is genuinely not interested or doesn't become instant bffs because someone said "nice suit" a few times.
It's just sad to watch.

The furry fandom is internet highschool for adults.

IAN

I have a pretty big list, but I'll narrow it down to the ones in particular that come to my head...

How accepting some parts of the fandom are, highlighting the horrendous level of whiteknights that exist. Like, a person could be a fucking serial killer and they'd find a way to defend them.

The walking stereotype furs that do nothing but give a bad image to the fandom. Like, a TV show making fun of furries highlighting those stereotypes is one thing, that's satire and is not meant to be taken for granted. A fur acting those out and getting attention from the public, that's bad. Especially combined with the previously mentioned whiteknights that come in to defend them.

Next one's not really maddening, but a lil annoying. Generic fursonas. Maybe, I shouldn't be the one to talk seeing I'm a red-colored, fennec/red fox mix, but I'm referring to those who just pick any species and do NOTHING to distinguish themselves. Just pick a redfox/husky/gray wolf/tiger, change nothing in regards to the fur color, hair style, marknings, NOTHING, and call it their fursona.

And last but not least, those who treat the fandom for more than what it really is (a hobby). Those who treat it as a "lifestyle" and part of "who they are" with unhealthy obsessions with the furry fandom. I'm talking those who make the "how to come out as a furry to my parents" threads on sites.

Antronach

Bringin' sexy back~
Now now, some use the furry fandom as a channel for their totem/spirit animal while some truly believe they are animal's stuck in a human body. Of course, most of those people don't draw any attention to it, thank god. Still think 'coming out as a furry' trivializes the whole process of coming out as your sexual preference.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I am MUCH more interesting out of suit, but that's because I'm a strictly mediocre suiter. :D

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Why does it always have to be my ass? WHY DO YOU ALWAYS OBSESS OVER MY ASS, MENTOVA!?
It's gotta be someone's, might as well be yours :V

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
Why does it always have to be my ass? WHY DO YOU ALWAYS OBSESS OVER MY ASS, MENTOVA!?

Doesn't everyone obsess over Tosh's ass? I have like 30 sketches and counting :V

Pantheros

you are me, and i am you
Bitch I will carve your brony ass up like a fucking turkey dinner >:C

At least its all natural colors and not stupid neon purple and pink shit! :V
hmmm, maybe theres a chance for our friendship after all, mentova!