• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Most overrated game?

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Angry Birds

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I would say Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed as well. But only the new COD games because the first one (and maybe the second one) was amazing.

What surprises me the most is why people don't see how shit Assassin's Creed is. It's the same game over and over again, the plot is ridiculous.
It even has the word ass in the title! TWICE! XD

Those don't really count though because as you said, even COD fans are realizing how stale the franchise has become. They are both just the usual suspects.

I sort of agree with Dire Newt about Ocarina of Time. Don't get me wrong, it's a freaking masterpiece for it's time but like most N64 games it aged horribly.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Square soft SNES games

BennyBunnycorn

Banned
Banned
I guess Mario Galaxy 2? And I say 2 specifically even if I like neither. 2 was just a blatant clone.
Metal Gear Solid

Oh, thank god I'm not alone for once. :D

Pokemon Red. How people can call it better than future titles is beyond me.

Nostalgia, why else? Also, people say how easy the games have become, but... Honestly, Red/Blue weren't even that hard. ...I kind of like the sprites, though. For some the sprites the sheer ugliness of them kind of make them look cool IMO.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Ocarina of Time no question. It's a good, good game, but nostalgia makes everyone blow it out of proportion.

GatodeCafe

Cowardly Coyote
Everyone who says OoT needs to play it again. It is literally better than sliced bread.

But OT, Halo. It was kinda cool, but it was a bit meh for me. Better than an average shooter, but not Ohmagurd bestthingevuuur.

Yeah, honestly I think people are saying OoT just to be contrary. It really is one of the greatest games of all time.

But yeah, halo was definitely a good example of console peasants being overwhelmed by what would have, at the time, equated to mediocre PC graphics. The enemy AI was interesting though.

Antronach

Bringin' sexy back~
I'm going with OoT too. It's a good game, but not as good as everyone harps it out to be. Same goes for FFVII, although that game's story was pretty nice (excluding the compilation).

Dire Newt

I like that all the OoT fanboys here can't accept that anyone thinks the game is anything less than amazing.

No you guys are right, it's a flawless masterpiece that can't be outdone and I'm just a contrarian idiot not to see that.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I like that all the OoT fanboys here can't accept that anyone thinks the game is anything less than amazing.

No you guys are right, it's a flawless masterpiece that can't be outdone and I'm just a contrarian idiot not to see that.

I honestly think Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are better than Ocarina of Time.
Majora's Mask doesn't have such a big story but it messes with your head. The atmosphere is just so much deeper than it is in OoT!
And Wind Waker has its massive overworld that just begs to be explored. Sure it's mostly water but you have 49 islands to explore! Plus the gameplay is so damn amazing and the game just looks gorgeous.
I still love Ocarina of Time. It's one of my favorite games of all damn time! It just didn't age very well...

Maolfunction

Resident Feline

And yet you still haven't said what the problem is with the game. Just because it's outstandingly popular =/= it's overrated. When a game is overrated, it means it doesn't deserve the high praise it gets year to year to year because of apparent flaws in the game.

Pretty much everyone who said OoT is overrated didn't even bother to list why it's overrated, why it shouldn't be so highly praised. The burden of proof is on you, not the people who asked why.

Just because a game has aged doesn't mean all the praise it gets has no worth. Christ, is the original Super Mario Bros. overrated too if we go by that logic? Is anything older than ten years and still praised overrated?

OoT is still a fantastic game. The temple design is still one of the best in the series. The game's atmosphere and game play are incredibly tight and controlled. The puzzles are still fresh and the combat is still top notch. If you don't like the N64 graphics, great, there's a 3DS remake with updated graphics just for you.

I fail to see what about the game is overrated as it still stands as one of the best games you can play even after all these years.

Call me a fanboy, but until you give me some solid reasoning as to why the game is actually overrated, I'll keep my opinion right where it is.

That being said, MM is by far my favorite in the series and I could spend paragraphs detailing why, but that has nothing to do with this thread as MM is definitely not overrated either

Spikey2k2

Everyone who says OoT needs to play it again. It is literally better than sliced bread.

But OT, Halo. It was kinda cool, but it was a bit meh for me. Better than an average shooter, but not Ohmagurd bestthingevuuur.
I second Halo.
I'll throw up Diablo 3, but the hype seems to of died down there. It was really good but something felt off about it for me.

SirRob

The problem with OoT is that, as people have said, it didn't age well. This is the case with most N64/PS era games, since they were built with low quality 3d models. It's not just that though... stuff like repeatedly having to go into your inventory and relatively basic combat hold the game back, too. These things weren't really an issue when the game came out, but it's a lot simpler and clunkier than newer games.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
What's with the butthurt with people saying a game they like is overrated? If they feel it's overrated, that's fine. Enjoy your damn game and quit arguing about it. Jesus. What is that going to accomplish, is there an achievement on a game system I don't know about?

The "fuck you I won this argument about your opinion" achievement?

If a game is flawless and not overrated it wouldn't need a graphics update. I mean I can still play the original Legend of Zelda no problem. The graphics still work. However, some of the other Zeldas the graphics were quite a bit of uncanny valley in 3d or just a bit creepy. So I notice they had to be remade.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
The topic becomes interesting when opinions are challenged.

If they actually discuss why, yes. But the "hey you're just being contrary" is just stupid juvenile bullshit.

Dire Newt

There's no point in arguing with someone if your point will never get across to them. Several people have made their arguments on this very topic and have gone completely ignored. It should also be stated that my intention was never to change anyone's opinion in the first place. It was to give my own, which is what the topic is about.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Personally I prefer the 2D Zeldas and don't think OoT is that big a deal. Wind Waker is much more enjoyable IMO. Looks better, plays better, cooler setting.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Pokemon Red. How people can call it better than future titles is beyond me.
Cause that was back when pokemon was leading the monster capture genre as the game that was leagues above other games gameplay wise. I grew out of pokemon cause the gameplay was getting massively dated. I have borrowed the latest pokemon games and the gameplay is something out of 2005. I don't really like pokemon anymore cause while yes there are advancements in each game it's MASSIVELY lagging behind the rest of the industry.

I'm not saying that pokemon can't be fun and that there's anything wrong with it, rather that it's massively dated for a game that is held up by fans as the best monster capture game.

ALSO that the same problems that plagued pokemon originally are still plaguing pokemon to this day in that once you beat the elite four there's next to nothing to do anymore.

ALSO that another problem that plagues pokemon is that it's stat based instead of skill based. To use a analogy it's like chess. People say chess is all about skill, but in reality it's about memorizing the most amount of moves. Chess isn't actually intelligence based or even skilled based, it's about who can memorize the most amount of possible moves.

pokemon_equation.jpg

When a video game gets to the point you HAVE to either memorize all the formulas or use a TI-83 to plan your attacks that's fucking bullshit and that's why so many people grow out of pokemon cause when your idea of advancing a video game is make it increasingly more contrived to the point that you have to have a calculator that's fucking bullshit.

Tl:dr; Pokemon as a entire franchise is MASSIVELY overrated.

Last edited:

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
Well it's a boring thread if everyone just goes "x game is overrated" and then when asked why, they go, "it's just my opinion." Opinions without reasons are pretty worthless.

But I finally got a reason why the game is flawed in its inventory screen. Which I agree can be tedious to go through especially with the Iron Boots. I'm glad they made them a C button item on the 3DS. However, it's hardly fair to say an entire game is overrated because of an inventory screen which really only takes a few seconds to get in and out. Modern RPGs have far more clunky inventory screens than OoT does.

And it's ridiculous to call a game aged because of graphics. Something completely restricted by technological limitations isn't a flaw, and really OoT is a far cry from unbearable. The landscapes, the dungeons, and even some of the character models are still really good when you look at other games on the 64.

Basic combat is a laugh because literally every Zelda after OoT is a carbon clone of it up till Skyward Sword plus a couple extra fancy moves in WW and TP.

SirRob

sharks can't talk

I'll have you know I've been doing just fine without having memorized the capture formula.

Pokemon is only about stats if you're playing at a casual level. At competitive play it really is a simplified version of chess with random factors thrown in to keep matches from getting stale.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
I'll have you know I've been doing just fine without having memorized the capture formula.
And how often do you get curbstomped by someone that knows all the attack formulas and that? Pokemon is NOT a skill based game at all, it's a solely stat based game. If pokemon were actually a skill based game it would be no where near as popular as it is.

Let me ask you, do you actually believe pokemon would still be popular if it actually required someone to be skilled at video games?

SirRob

And how often do you get curbstomped by someone that knows all the attack formulas and that? Pokemon is NOT a skill based game at all, it's a solely stat based game. If pokemon were actually a skill based game it would be no where near as popular as it is.
Oh, I've worked with the damage formula. The thing is though, that's something you worry about when you're building your team, not when you're actually in a match. All the stat calculating is done before a match starts. The actual match is all about knowing what your team can handle, making good predictions and a little bit of luck.

Ranguvar

In what circles is the first MGS highly praised? Unless you're just referring to the series as a whole, in which case I still don't think that's the case until you get to MGS4, because there's not very many flaws in those games that can be attributed to a poor experience unless you're just unfamiliar with the controls.
I was referring to the series as a whole. I don't understand how the Metal Gear Solid series has the brass balls to put the "Tactical Espionage Action" moniker on the titles when most of the games revolve around watching terribly directed anime inspired cut scenes. The inane dialogue, convoluted plot, and grade school level conspiracies theories alongside the insipid characters should anyone vomit. I could give these elements a pass if the game-play was any good, but it's not.

You do not play as solid snake, you play as the white dot representing solid snake on a map. You do not avoid enemies, you avoid the yellow cones on the radar; in fact you could probably play the entire game just looking at the radar map. The stealth elements that are present are shallow and act as a secondary diversion to the main event, cutscenes and drawn out boss battles. The gun play and "cqc" that is present awkward and tedious; it's just not that fun.

Last edited:

SirRob

Let me ask you, do you actually believe pokemon would still be popular if it actually required someone to be skilled at video games?
You're right, I like Pokemon because I don't have the skill to play other games.

No, if Pokemon was inaccessible to a casual audience, it wouldn't be successful. However, it manages to attract casual players while having a deep competitive aspect that allows for pretty much infinite variation, which is one of the great things about the game.