• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Most overrated game?

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Oh, I've worked with the damage formula.
Thank you for proving my point. I do not like pokemon anymore cause of people like you. When you have gamers using damage formulas to win that's sucking the fun out of a game franchise like a $2 hooker in vegas.

SirRob

Thank you for proving my point. I do not like pokemon anymore cause of people like you. When you have gamers using damage formulas to win that's sucking the fun out of a game franchise like a $2 hooker in vegas.
You're welcome!

I don't think your beef is with Pokemon. It's with turn based games in general, because literally all pure turn based strategy games have the same issues you have with Pokemon. Instead of being based on skill, they're based on tactics. Which is apparently a bad thing.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

You're welcome!

I don't think your beef is with Pokemon. It's with turn based games in general, because literally all pure turn based strategy games have the same issues you have with Pokemon. Instead of being based on skill, they're based on tactics. Which is apparently a bad thing.
There's nothing wrong with turn based games; rather when they're as broken as pokemon is yeah that's annoying.

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
I didn't think many people did a whole lot of IV calculations in the actual game. I know all the formulas go into effect on battle simulations outside the actual game, but then it's all leveled out because everyone plays with maximum stats.

In game, I thought EV training was the big thing and in X and Y that takes literally a few minutes if you're using the right items so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

SirRob

Well I'm pretty sure every turn based game operates on formulas, so they're just as broken. In fact, every game operates in that way, so... every game is broken because a player can take advantage of that. Stuff like frames, hitboxes... Most real time games don't even have a high skill cap, so often competitive matches come down to stuff like that, just like in Pokemon.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Well I'm pretty sure every turn based game operates on formulas, so they're just as broken.
Then how do you explain how overpowered fairy types are?

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
But fairy types have a lot of counters. Gengar will 1 shot most of them.

I think Pokemon is still mostly how you build your team and how many holes you have covered by typing well. You can have 6 perfectly IV/EV leveled Blazikens and they can all still be curbstomped by an untrained Starmie who counters them. The argument seems to be scaling is unfair. Though that doesn't make a lot of sense. In Dark Souls, some weapons scale with certain stats that give them damage bonuses when you level those stats. Is it unfair when you face a player in multiplayer who has his weapons scaled with his stats to give him maximum damage? I don't see how it's unfair with Pokemon to do the same thing basically. Some Pokemon scale with certain stats when they're leveled correctly. People who scale their stats with the Pokmon who benefit the most from them are just playing the game to its maximum potential.

But all of that is worthless if you're not building your team correctly.

CannonFodder

In Dark Souls, some weapons scale with certain stats that give them damage bonuses when you level those stats. Is it unfair when you face a player in multiplayer who has his weapons scaled with his stats to give him maximum damage? I don't see how it's unfair with Pokemon to do the same thing basically.
Dark souls is a completely different genre of game.

Last edited:

SirRob

The only explanation I can think of is that you don't want to bother learning how the game works, so when you come up against a roadblock, you dismiss it as overpowered instead of figuring out a workaround.
Pokemon isn't a balanced game, you're right. But no competitive game with a variation in playable characters is balanced.

CannonFodder

But no competitive game with a variation in playable characters is balanced.
I'm starting to think you only play pokemon.

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
Dark souls is a completely different genre of game though.
Not really. Instead of turn based action, it's action based, but the scaling works exactly the same way. You wouldn't go into a fight in Dark Souls with an unscaled weapon that doesn't fit your character build. Like, you wouldn't pour stats into Strength, Vitality, and Intelligence and then run around in light armor wielding a rapier which scales with Dexterity.

Pokemon is the same way. Alakazam scales well in Sp. Attack and Speed. Do some basic research into how to pour EVs into those two stats and then throw the rest on an area where you feel its important. Now when you go into battle with your Alakazam, it receives its maximum potential. This is of course, ignoring IV stats, but again, most people in the actual game don't bother too much with getting perfect IVs because that's insane.

CannonFodder

I'm starting to think you've never actually played any game competitively.
Not as much as I used to. Too many people online that don't understand a game where team kills are enable means don't walk in front of me while I'm firing or unleashing a massive attack and wind up wasting the attack, or too many people that think they're rambo, or too many people that just don't know how to keep firing while running(okay that one actually confuses me why people can't keep a bead on someone while running. I don't care if someone is jumping down from a higher level while you're running, people should know how to hit the guy. A hitbox doesn't mean you're trying to aim for a pinhole size target, it just means hitting him counts as a hit)

Dire Newt

Well it's a boring thread if everyone just goes "x game is overrated" and then when asked why, they go, "it's just my opinion." Opinions without reasons are pretty worthless.

But I finally got a reason why the game is flawed in its inventory screen. Which I agree can be tedious to go through especially with the Iron Boots. I'm glad they made them a C button item on the 3DS. However, it's hardly fair to say an entire game is overrated because of an inventory screen which really only takes a few seconds to get in and out. Modern RPGs have far more clunky inventory screens than OoT does.

And it's ridiculous to call a game aged because of graphics. Something completely restricted by technological limitations isn't a flaw, and really OoT is a far cry from unbearable. The landscapes, the dungeons, and even some of the character models are still really good when you look at other games on the 64.

Basic combat is a laugh because literally every Zelda after OoT is a carbon clone of it up till Skyward Sword plus a couple extra fancy moves in WW and TP.

Your counterpoints are little but biased, illogical statements, yet you wonder why I don't take the time to point out every single issue I have with the game to you?

Last edited:

SirRob

Not as much as I used to. Too many people online that don't understand a game where team kills are enable means don't walk in front of me while I'm firing or unleashing a massive attack and wind up wasting the attack, or too many people that think they're rambo, or too many people that just don't know how to keep firing while running(okay that one actually confuses me why people can't keep a bead on someone while running. I don't care if someone is jumping down from a higher level while you're running, people should know how to hit the guy. A hitbox doesn't mean you're trying to aim for a pinhole size target, it just means hitting him counts as a hit)
Wait so now you're getting mad at people who don't understand a game when you're mad at a game for not being able to understand it what

Assuming you're talking about TF2; I've never played it, but I know there's different classes. Assuming everyone is playing their classes perfectly, you should notice some classes performing better than others-- that's what I mean when I say a game like that can't be balanced. In a game where every character has the same abilities, it's balanced, but boring.

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
Your counterpoints are little but biased, illogical statements, yet you wonder why I don't take the time to point out every single issue I have with the game to you?
Are you kidding me. What parts of my arguments are illogical or biased? I already said MM was my favorite Zelda game, I'm more than willing to discuss the flaws of OoT with you, and yet you're telling me my reasons are illogical. I have a feeling you don't actually have reasons and are left with nothing more than attacks of character to try and discredit me, though I'm sorry to say, it just makes you sound like a bigger idiot.

You don't need to point out every single issue, you should have at least one though.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

Which is funny too because we pointed out that earlier the original and 2D Zelda still hold up with even more limited graphics. Even more limited inventory system, and yet that's why people are excited about a sequel to Link to the Past and are willing to play it but find the original better. But nooooooo say something bad about Ocarina and fanboys shed many wet ones down the cheeks.

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
Which is funny too because we pointed out that earlier the original and 2D Zelda still hold up with even more limited graphics. Even more limited inventory system, and yet that's why people are excited about a sequel to Link to the Past and are willing to play it but find the original better. But nooooooo say something bad about Ocarina and fanboys shed many wet ones down the cheeks.
I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of brick walls.

All I'm asking is a simple reason why OoT doesn't stand up. Why do the 2D Zelda games stand up better, what do they do that beats OoT, why are they even being compared to each other when the experience of playing them is completely different. It's like comparing Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Galaxy and saying the original holds up better because you don't have to jump in a 3D environment.

Clearly I'm a fanboy because I'm asking basic questions about why someone thinks a certain way.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of brick walls.

All I'm asking is a simple reason why OoT doesn't stand up. Why do the 2D Zelda games stand up better, what do they do that beats OoT, why are they even being compared to each other when the experience of playing them is completely different. It's like comparing Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Galaxy and saying the original holds up better because you don't have to jump in a 3D environment.

Clearly I'm a fanboy because I'm asking basic questions about why someone thinks a certain way.

We just stated it. Your incompetence to comprehend should not be the forum's problem

SirRob

Honestly, I don't think the NES Zeldas look good at all... way too basic, even for NES standards. Link to the Past though, that's a masterpiece.

Maolfunction

Resident Feline
We just stated it. Your incompetence to comprehend should not be the forum's problem

Is the limited inventory system seriously the only issue. Because that's hilarious.

"Yes, Ocarina of Time clearly does not deserve its high praise because I have to go into an inventory screen to select my weapons and that's just too much for me to handle."

Man oh man. The bickering in this thread. Fuck happened? o-O

I honestly don't think people here understand the difference between discussion and bickering. "Oh god, a disagreement, why must you argue."

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Honestly, I don't think the NES Zeldas look good at all... way too basic, even for NES standards. Link to the Past though, that's a masterpiece.

And I can respect that and not feel upset that if you think it's overrated for those reasons it's valid.

I just don't get when you tell someone this is why and then they still want to argue about it, especially if it's personal taste as to enjoyment of the game.

Final Fantasy 7 is overrated and still overpriced.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Is the limited inventory system seriously the only issue. Because that's hilarious.

"Yes, Ocarina of Time clearly does not deserve its high praise because I have to go into an inventory screen to select my weapons and that's just too much for me to handle."
I would say that OoT doesn't stand up for a number of reasons:

• The game is slow. Like, really slow. A lot of areas seem large and open for no particular reason other than they are (Hyrule Field is a vast expanse of nothingness and Link moves extremely slowly; Epona was obviously created specifically to help with this). This is a huge reason why I haven't been able to get into the game.
  • The graphics are just bad. They didn't hold up to the test of time, and even the 3DS remake and emulation texture mods don't really do much to fix that. It really shares this flaw with the NES Zelda; I really agree with Rob on that one. It's just really crude.
  • The presentation kind of sucks. At no point when I play it do I actually feel like I'm invested in what I'm doing. That said, I barely managed to drag myself through the opening quest to get the sword and shield, because frankly, I was bored to tears. Compare the opening of OoT to the opening of LttP. In OoT, you wake up, stumble out of bed, get told that a tree wants to speak to you, and before you're even allowed to go see it, you have to jump through hoops. In LttP, you wake up, stumble out of bed, and head straight to the castle on a rescue mission with awesome music and a dark atmosphere, and you're given your equipment right away when you get there. Adventure! You start off the game by saving Zelda. Right off the bat, you've got a sense of accomplishment and foreboding that keeps you interested.

I would say Majora's Mask did it better, but it still suffers from a number of the same problems. Personally, I've found it incredibly difficult getting into any of the 3D Zelda titles as a result.

World of Warcraft and MMO games in general are the very definition of overrated.