• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"moving avatars"

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
I'll keep it simple (although personally I use Flash) and also tell you to use GIMP (chalk up another "It's Free")

robomilk

fruit bat at large
DruoxTheFurrinator said:
Now...what if I wanted to make a movie into one, does Gimp do this?

Well you can either use flash or a screen recorder with GIF support.

Hanazawa said:
you have a variety of options, for the animated icons I was making I used GIMP (it's free)

yes, i use gimp also.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
DruoxTheFurrinator said:
alright...255 colors, Gimp's free, thank you all ^^

Now...what if I wanted to make a movie into one, does Gimp do this?
.swf movie or .avi/.mov movie?

AishaDracoGryph

ok everyone is telling him to use gimp and that it can make gifs, but no one is telling him how and he sure is asking.

First off go get the gimp http://www.gimp.org/ (look to the left for a wondows link)

Now when in the gimp you will need to set up all the frames of your animation as layers. The first frame should be your first layer! Now when you go to save the image, do not flatten it or merge the layers! just go to save it as a gif and the gimp will ask if you want to safe as an animated gif. say yes and choose your options for time between frames ect......

It might take some tweaking to get the timing right but this is the simplest and easiest way to do it.

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
You didn't even do it right, Aisha ;p

GIMP has a filter called "optimize for GIF". It cuts the filesizes down and makes it easier for you to see the length of time a frame is going to be up. If you want a frame to display longer, just duplicate it before you run the optimizer. 1 frame = 100ms.

I also strongly recommend manually setting the color mode to indexed and using the preview while playing around with dithering options. sometimes the autosaver makes colorful images look pretty ugly.

AishaDracoGryph

Hanazawa said:
You didn't even do it right, Aisha ;p

GIMP has a filter called "optimize for GIF". It cuts the filesizes down and makes it easier for you to see the length of time a frame is going to be up. If you want a frame to display longer, just duplicate it before you run the optimizer. 1 frame = 100ms.

I also strongly recommend manually setting the color mode to indexed and using the preview while playing around with dithering options. sometimes the autosaver makes colorful images look pretty ugly.

Hey I only told him how to do it as i know how. and my directions would have gotten him results. Very good of you to add more detail to my instructions though :p