• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Multicolored Furs

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
So I'm not sure if I posted anything about this here, but I had posted a story idea once to /r/furry. And given that my character designs tend to be rather colorful it only naturally followed that my story would utilize lots of colored anthro characters - greens, blues, reds, purples, etc. Apparently if you don't give some type of feasible explanation it's stretching the believably of the story even if it's set in a fantasy setting (mine was urban fantasy, so I suppose they just threw that in there for reference). It's also too anime-ish according to that commenter.

So wait, you mean to tell me we can live in a fandom where people make colorful furs with ALL KINDS of different furs and patterns and what nots, but the second you do that in your story it's suddenly too anime-ish and runs the risk of not being beleiveable or able to take seriously? Really, guys?

What are y'alls thoughts on this?

D

Deleted member 93706

It is kinda hard to take sparkledogs seriously imo.

GamingGal

People are going to complain regardless.

I think it doesn't matter if your characters are natural colored or crazy colored, normal markings or fantasy markings, winged wolves or huge dragons. A story is a story is a story. If you want to make an urban fantasy with loudly colored characters, do it. People don't question movies or stories when there are humans with wildly colored hair or hair styles or tattoos. It's basically the same thing as that *shrugs*

It is kinda hard to take sparkledogs seriously imo.

No character should have a full page dedicated to describing the shape and color of their individual markings. Its so much easier to say "the fox" and have the already extant mental image of a standard red fox pop into your head.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
Depends on a lot of things, but mostly execution. I feel like if you're going with talking animals, all of a sudden calling out strange colors as "UNBELIEVABLE" is silly as shit.

-Sliqq-

Silo
Just say it's fur dye, and maybe they'll be lest skeptical about unnatural coloring, which as Conker said, is silly asf.

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
No character should have a full page dedicated to describing the shape and color of their individual markings. Its so much easier to say "the fox" and have the already extant mental image of a standard red fox pop into your head.

Myself wouldn't go too far with markings if my characters had any. I'd probably just say "Special markings" or "Special fur/stripe patterns" and just leave it at that, really.