• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Multiple Banners

creaturecorp

I think several of the best banners should be selected from the monthly contest, and a small set of back/next buttons placed in the header. They would let users choose a banner they like - even kinky ones. I'd personally love the ability to switch things up. Not only that, it would give more artists some recognition.

Consider a new submission category called "FA banners". Users could upload their own banners (within the dimension parameters) like any other submission, and others could activate it from the "view submission" page.

That means if there's a particular image you don't want to be subjected to, you can change it. If there's one you like, you can keep it. Then everybody's happy!

In terms of execution, it would only be a few lines of code, two buttons, and a cookie.

I am for it.

Cleo

Piercing eyes
That actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Id rather they pick something that is bland and inoffensive, and not waste space and money letting everyone submit their own banners. If it means having just text that says "Furaffinity", then so be it. Since people cant play nice with their banners, then they should take the banners aways so now nobody has any banners to banner with. And since most people claim you dont notice the banner after awhile anyway, then why would anyone care it its just text?

TiburonWink

sounds like fun but how hard would it be to get them to change even that much code? I mean we have been waiting for search for how long?

I agree with the idea. Not so much the reason for bringing the idea forth.

Maybe they should just stop using banners from the community altogether. That would solve everything.

Shouden

When in doubt: C4
I vote yes! Hey, look, I voted. :p

creaturecorp

Id rather they pick something that is bland and inoffensive, and not waste space and money letting everyone submit their own banners. If it means having just text that says "Furaffinity", then so be it. Since people cant play nice with their banners, then they should take the banners aways so now nobody has any banners to banner with. And since most people claim you dont notice the banner after awhile anyway, then why would anyone care it its just text?

Since when has changing some code and modifying the database cost money?

creaturecorp

sounds like fun but how hard would it be to get them to change even that much code? I mean we have been waiting for search for how long?

I'm proposing we start small. Just back and forward buttons for now, which is about 10 lines of code.

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Since when has changing some code and modifying the database cost money?

I dont know. I dont know that much about computers, but if it does, Im sure someone will say something.

*edit* Just discussed it with someone, and found out that uploading, storing, and viewing that many files would cost a fair bit, due to strain it would put on bandwidth. If I understood them right.

Last edited:

Twile

*edit* Just discussed it with someone, and found out that uploading, storing, and viewing that many files would cost a fair bit, due to strain it would put on bandwidth. If I understood them right.

People already upload a ton of images. The amount of added strain would really be trivial. Think about 5 MB remixes of songs, then try to tell me that far-less-common 50 KB banners would add a considerable amount of strain ;p

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
People already upload a ton of images. The amount of added strain would really be trivial. Think about 5 MB remixes of songs, then try to tell me that far-less-common 50 KB banners would add a considerable amount of strain ;p

Most individuals most likely wouldnt upload just one banner (and nearly all who visit the site will upload at least one), same as they dont upload one avatar. And those songs are actual content for the site, and not just something that serves to make the site pretty.

And FA already costs a decent amount of money as it is, and donations cover less than half of the cost. Adding more strain isnt going to help the site at this point, IMO

And the person I talked to was Dragoneer, who is the one that pays the difference.

Last edited:

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
I think it would be better to have the admins choose each month a small handful of banners that cater to broad interests and putting something in the control panel so individuals have power over what kind of banner shows up based on their interests. That way we don't run into strain on the system.

The could set things up to start this way in the new Ferrox layout.

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
The could set things up to start this way in the new Ferrox layout.

From what I gathered from talking to Dragoneer, they plan on having custom banners as a feature eventually, but it isnt on the menu right now. If it comes out, it would most likely be with ferrox, or some time after it I think.

creaturecorp

Most individuals most likely wouldnt upload just one banner (and nearly all who visit the site will upload at least one), same as they dont upload one avatar. And those songs are actual content for the site, and not just something that serves to make the site pretty.

And FA already costs a decent amount of money as it is, and donations cover less than half of the cost. Adding more strain isnt going to help the site at this point, IMO

And the person I talked to was Dragoneer, who is the one that pays the difference.

There would be no difference. What you fail to realize is that once the banner is selected, it will use the same amount of bandwidth as it always has.

Everyone is overcomplicating the issue. Several choices from the contest + back and forward buttons is all I'm asking at this point.

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
There would be no difference. What you fail to realize is that once the banner is selected, it will use the same amount of bandwidth as it always has.

Like I said, I talked with Dragoneer about it, and he seemed to think it would. *shrugs* Unless I misunderstood what he was saying, but it seemed fairly clear

Quiet269

The additional amount of Bandwidth that would be used would be insignificant...

Though there would be additional resources from Dragoneer, or whomever chooses which banners to use, I would assume that they would have to be selected via the same process as what is currently being used...