• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Submission Problem: Music - Gateway Timeout

K

kidsune

I've been trying to submit a music file onto FA, but seems like anything bigger than 4MB seems to get a 504 Gateway Timeout error, but the file i want to upload is about 6-7MB and it keeps timing out. I know it's not the internet on my side, speed-wise, so i'm wondering what it is and how it can be fixed/circumnavigated...

thanks ^_^

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
I will try saturating my internet connection to create an artificial network latency and instability and thus will try to recreate the problem.

Strangely, s gateway timeout should never happen regardless. File upload requests are being transferred to the backend only after the actual file has been uploaded, not before. It could be a problem with FA's reverse proxy.

K

kidsune

I will try saturating my internet connection to create an artificial network latency and instability and thus will try to recreate the problem.

Strangely, s gateway timeout should never happen regardless. File upload requests are being transferred to the backend only after the actual file has been uploaded, not before. It could be a problem with FA's reverse proxy.
As much as i tried to understand what you said, i couldn't get most of it, but i do appreciate you helping ^_^

Fox Amoore

2 inch micro Pianist

The file was encoded at 192kb/s. I remember prior that when I tried to upload anything over 128, it would corrupt the file, as well as if it was more than 44khz.

Not sure if any of that is helpful for ya, but I wanted to mention it just in case it helps. :)

TheComet

DJ Comet
I'm having the same problem, actually just posted a thread identical to this just about.

I'm trying to upload a 7.6 meg or so 160kbps .mp3 file, same problem gets me, and I worked for 3 months on the thing o_O

H0rs3

There is really a problem about the uploading big file (approximativly 5mb and more), And it is recent. Right now, I tried to upload a flash file of 8 mb, I had a 504 gateway timeout, and I tried more than 10 times, always the same error.
The problem does not come from me, I uploaded files as big as that there some days ago, without any problems. (A little more than a week ago, to be precise)
I hope that this problem will be solved soon !

TheComet

DJ Comet
There is really a problem about the uploading big file (approximativly 5mb and more), And it is recent. Right now, I tried to upload a flash file of 8 mb, I had a 504 gateway timeout, and I tried more than 10 times, always the same error.
The problem does not come from me, I uploaded files as big as that there some days ago, without any problems. (A little more than a week ago, to be precise)
I hope that this problem will be solved soon !
I'd imagine it's a real pain in the tail for you since IIRC you do 3D Flash animations, those just don't come in small files

H0rs3

I'd imagine it's a real pain in the tail for you since IIRC you do 3D Flash animations, those just don't come in small files

Indeed ! I can't upload anything as long as this problem will not be fixed. Anyway, I have retried, and that does not still work.

TheComet

DJ Comet
somewhat a bump, trying again after a week or so here and still getting gateway timeouts thrown at me for Severed Pride's .mp3, and my recent demo I posted was a hassle to post (but eventually got through)

H0rs3

I managed to upload a 8.5 mb file some days ago, But it was with the internet of my school...
That does not still work at home :/

I've been experiencing this little 504 Gateway Time-out error for the last hour or so, trying to upload a music file. Granted, the MP3 is 9.85mb, and my slow Australian connection certainly wouldn't help its case.

This error may be, in part, the result of the user's upload speeds on their connection.

That said, in June and August, I had uploaded MP3s of a similar size, with no problems. Is it possible that the new server colo may have slightly tighter "time-out limits" in place? Ie: The max time for a continuous stream of uploaded data being around 10 minutes or so, before the server says it's time to take a break from accepting that data?

Science Fox

Alien/Robot Rights Activist
I actually have tried multiple times to upload a 5.5mb file (today) and it uploads (after many timeouts) but the file is corrput. :(

I hate to double-post, but an edited post seems to go by rather silently.

I've been trying to upload an MP3 for a good two or three days now, each attempt met with a 504 Error. The MP3 is 8.7mb. Now, I've just tried uploading the MP3 to my personal webspace, to check on the transfer time. It took close to four minutes.

Keeping that noted down, I've tried submitting it to FA once again. It took FA just over nine minutes to give me another 504 Error. It's.. frustrating, to say the least. :D

I know it's probably not the best time to expect a response, seeing how it's still convention season. But this thread has been around for a good month or so, and the problem hasn't been resolved. It'd be nice to see that it's at least still being looked into.

It's happening with me as well--my mp3 I'm attempting to upload is roughly 7MB, and I only get the gateway time-out error message.

MooglyGuy

This issue seems to have been fixed; I was just able to upload the SWF that I was unable to earlier in the day.

I've come to find that, when hitting the 504 error page, refreshing from that 504 page helps. It may take a few tries, but it eventually gets through. It's like... timing against everyone trying to submit to the server. Larger files just seem to get kicked out of line.

It appears admins have actually acknowledged the problem (or one would hope as such), and claim that it is being investigated, albeit in a whole different subforum a month and a half ago. What would be nice however is a sort of continuous "we're still totally stumped about this whackjob shiznit 504 error dealio" update, if it is still being looked into.

Or, hell, any kind of answer that isn't "we're not here all the time you know, gosh you guys are like, oh my god SOOO impatient". :v

RhubarbCub

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Hi folks, first entry in this part of the forum...

I may have messed up. I tried to swap out one of my music files for a more recent mix, and I got a 504... and now the original file is unaccessible and I can't get the new one to upload at all. Did I just break the internet?

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Hi folks, first entry in this part of the forum...

I may have messed up. I tried to swap out one of my music files for a more recent mix, and I got a 504... and now the original file is unaccessible and I can't get the new one to upload at all. Did I just break the internet?

Nah.
Just keep trying until it works. Basically, you have to be able to upload the file in less then 60 seconds for it to work.

What is happening is an acknowledged bug and we are working on fixing it.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Explanation?

File uploads are being handled by backend php-fcgi application exclusively, not the reverse proxy frontend that should later forwards the uploaded file to the backend.
Because of that, the maximum time an upload can take is currently 60 seconds, after which the connection to the backend times out and everything fails.

Time?
Can't say since I'm not quite sure why this happens yet. Within a week or two?

RhubarbCub

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Nah.
Just keep trying until it works. Basically, you have to be able to upload the file in less then 60 seconds for it to work.

What is happening is an acknowledged bug and we are working on fixing it.

Okay, I'll try twice a day for the next week. I just now tried, and after about 30 seconds it took me back to the edit page as if it had uploaded successfully, but still no file. Had my hopes up. I'd just delete it and start over, but I hate to lose all the nice comments...