• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Musicians?

HaTcH said:
Classic rockin' bassist here! :D

da dun da dun da dun.. BASSSS

(That constituted 75% of the AIM conversations with my drummer..)

Shit man, I've been trying to learn bass for a while, I just don't have any real rhythm. I've got this cheap target-bought Washburn bass with stock pickups and all I really use it for is to accompany a guitar line or two. You got any stuff you'd like to show off?

Starburst said:
Slideboner said:
Starburst said:
Punk vocalist, at your service!

I also know three chords, that makes me cool right 8)

Either way, I've been playing flute for 7 years, and I was considering learning Sax.

I'm primary songwriter for my band, btw, which makes me extra-spesha

ever make any punk-flute songs?

I've been considering it. I was actually thinking maybe use a lot of staccato and high notes, followed by some melodic choral-sounding stuff to mimic the vocals.

Maybe you could be the Steve Vai of the punk world. I'd give it a shot.

S

Starburst

I was thinking of trying to start a ska+emo band...

We would be called skemo.

HaTcH said:
Slideboner said:
You got any stuff you'd like to show off?

Well, the band I play with has a myspace, but our recordings suck, and I seem to overly suck when I'm being recorded. (no video or tape, I'm a lot better..) But you can poke it at not really a fan of myspace.

In the blog theres a link to videos and the full MP3s. Hydrogen is a lot longer.. and a lot better than the one on myspace.

It's strange I've never had the problem some musicians face when recording, maybe because i've been recording stuff since I started playing.

Anyways, I'm really loving that hydrogen track, but I don't see any links in the blogs...?

O

Option7

Slideboner said:
Option7 said:
Some crap
Lol, I'm totally digging the vocalist's accent. You guys are nuts, but yeah, the mixing is awful. Etc. etc.

Which song? All of them except Discovery are me, Discovery is the drummer. We're hoping to be able to afford some decent recording time soon-ish(That was done in my garage...). If the time comes then I will undoubtedly be plugging it here ^_^

Option7 said:
Slideboner said:
Option7 said:
Some crap
Lol, I'm totally digging the vocalist's accent. You guys are nuts, but yeah, the mixing is awful. Etc. etc.

Which song? All of them except Discovery are me, Discovery is the drummer. We're hoping to be able to afford some decent recording time soon-ish(That was done in my garage...). If the time comes then I will undoubtedly be plugging it here ^_^

well, assuming you're all from the UK, it's all of your accents.

also, I'd love to hear from you whenever it's done!

Kawazu Awazili

I grew up playing metal, for the first three years or so it's all I would play on my guitar... Then my horizons broadened, I started playing funk and bluegrass as well. Now I just play whatever amorphous blob of tones channels through my fingers.

Oddly enough, I've been playing guitar for nine years now but just last summer I picked up hand percussion and now my djembe is my primary instrument.

Spinal

Slideboner said:
I'd also like to hear from any musician here, whether it be metal, rock, blues, country... hell, even electronica or experimental stuff. Just no rap plz.

oh come on dude, you're not helping yourself by closing doors to genres of music. and not making any friends by telling people to get out of your thread, either (it's not going to work anyway).

6 year rap producer, 1 year turntablist

I've been playing for... two years now, I think? Anyway, it's a Schecter Diamond Series Vampire. I'm heavily influenced by gothic rock, but also by stoner. It's an odd mix, but one that works well and keeps me happy. And my Marshall amp is one of the most standard you can get, but the distortion on it is so awesome! It can go from light surf-punk sounds to heavy, almost bass-amp-like distortion. So it serves the best of both my worlds.

I know only one chord and dont' even know how to read scales, so I've basically learned by playing tabs of songs I already know. I tell ya, I still need to improve my picking techniques and speed. I'm just grateful I have such wide, stretching hands.

I'm in a gothic rock band, Address Unknown. You mite wanna check us out...
http://myspace.com/addressunknown23

I also do gabber and techno stuffs on the side, as End of Flowers.
http://myspace.com/endofflowersband

Kawazu Awazili

Spinal said:
oh come on dude, you're not helping yourself by closing doors to genres of music.  and not making any friends by telling people to get out of your thread, either (it's not going to work anyway).

Word, it's a matter of understanding the rhythm of language. Some people become too attached to the tones and take the instrument of the vocals for granted, but whether they sing melodic harmonies focusing on being in tune with the other instruments or keep a beat to a song's inner bass pulse, language becomes a beautiful virus of messages in music that can touch anyone who is open enough.

Spinal

Kawazu Awazili said:
Spinal said:
oh come on dude, you're not helping yourself by closing doors to genres of music. and not making any friends by telling people to get out of your thread, either (it's not going to work anyway).

Word, it's a matter of understanding the rhythm of language. Some people become too attached to the tones and take the instrument of the vocals for granted, but whether they sing melodic harmonies focusing on being in tune with the other instruments or keep a beat to a song's inner bass pulse, language becomes a beautiful virus of messages in music that can touch anyone who is open enough.

Haha yeah, what blows me away is when someone agonizes over lyrics for days trying to get them to flow like natural speech...so then the delivery SOUNDS like natural speech and people are like "so what he's just talking, that's easy"

Spinal said:
Slideboner said:
I'd also like to hear from any musician here, whether it be metal, rock, blues, country... hell, even electronica or experimental stuff. Just no rap plz.

Well If you think you've got something different than all the boring crap I hear today, I'd love to hear it (seriously, I haven't heard good rap in 10 years or more). Anyways, the point of the thread was to see what kind of musicians lurk around here, not to exclude anyone with talent. See, it all depends on what my mood was at the time. Maybe I was sick of all the 50 Cents, the Lil Jon's, and any other cookie cutter rap artist who have nothing to spread but social ills and degeneration. The point is, if you're different from that, I'd love to hear it.

Also, if anyone doesn't want to dredge through all of my submissions just to find something that isn't completely shitty, I've uploaded a .zip on yousendit

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5DEF497314DF5DC9

I had forgotten about this upload until now, so enjoy.

McRoz said:
I played drums for about two years, but that's it.

Did you just stop playing or lose interest?

McRoz said:
Slideboner said:
McRoz said:
I played drums for about two years, but that's it.

Did you just stop playing or lose interest?
The later option.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I think that's what happened when I played piano as a kid, so i don't remember anything about how to play.

Kitfox

Bass guitarist here! >^.^< I started playing the bass in orchestra In 6th grade...lolz the big wooden violin of death! Then i moved on to the Bass guitar. The notes are pretty much the same. I got to play it for a few songs at festival last year! Hehe i got a superior rating on both my double bass and electric bass performances. I'm still playing and i think i won't be stopping any time soon. I wish there where some other musicians in my area...maybe to start a band with. meh, oh well....

Kitfox said:
Bass guitarist here! >^.^< I started playing the bass in orchestra In 6th grade...lolz the big wooden violin of death! Then i moved on to the Bass guitar. The notes are pretty much the same. I got to play it for a few songs at festival last year! Hehe i got a superior rating on both my double bass and electric bass performances. I'm still playing and i think i won't be stopping any time soon. I wish there where some other musicians in my area...maybe to start a band with. meh, oh well....

What kind of electric bass you have? Mine's a target-bought washburn lyon, lol.

Spinal

Slideboner said:
Spinal said:
Slideboner said:

Well If you think you've got something different than all the boring crap I hear today, I'd love to hear it (seriously, I haven't heard good rap in 10 years or more). Anyways, the point of the thread was to see what kind of musicians lurk around here, not to exclude anyone with talent. See, it all depends on what my mood was at the time. Maybe I was sick of all the 50 Cents, the Lil Jon's, and any other cookie cutter rap artist who have nothing to spread but social ills and degeneration. The point is, if you're different from that, I'd love to hear it.

i work with a lot of rappers, some of them rap about politics and some of them rap about fly bitches.

but stuff like punk rock and trance promotes "social ills" as well. Led Zeppelin was a shining example of degeneracy. you make it sound like it was an invention of rappers. plus lil jon is tight :p

for various reasons I'd rather not post my music here, just wanted to speak up because it always disturbs me to see musicians creating this kind of division in the community...it's unnecessary and destructive on all sides

Kitfox

Slideboner said:
Kitfox said:

What kind of electric bass you have? Mine's a target-bought washburn lyon, lol.

Meh, nothing too fancy. I have a Fender Squiter and a Fender Frontman 15B amp from a local store. lol most likely not to good...i don't really know much about good types. I'm good with what i got though! >^.^<

Spinal said:
Slideboner said:
Spinal said:
Slideboner said:

i work with a lot of rappers, some of them rap about politics and some of them rap about fly bitches.

but stuff like punk rock and trance promotes "social ills" as well. Led Zeppelin was a shining example of degeneracy. you make it sound like it was an invention of rappers. plus lil jon is tight :p

for various reasons I'd rather not post my music here, just wanted to speak up because it always disturbs me to see musicians creating this kind of division in the community...it's unnecessary and destructive on all sides

Most of the punk I listen to usually promotes social awareness and caters to more left wing sympathies but I really don't get into the message that much since it's usually hidden or incomprehensible. That being said, you're right. Some of the music I listen to does promote social ills and degeneracy. I just have different tastes in genres, and rap isn't one of my favorites, but I can still enjoy it, but mostly old-school stuff.

I can understand you not wanting to post music here. But I want to make clear that I'm not here to divide. If I wanted to divide I'd start off by doing whatever I could to offend anyone I could. It's not that hard to do in this fandom, but it's not what my goal is.