• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Musicians?

LobaHuskita

oh no....OH NO! D:
i've just been playing the flute for 8 years and the alto sax for at least 2. this is probably going to sound really weird, but i'm in a semi-professional group called the Peninsula Scout Band and our music is really american patriot related as well as marching and a bit of classical now and then. right now we're learning circus music which is so much fun to play, but extremely hard because of the fast tempo. but what i really enjoy a lot is singing. i'm a soprano and i've grown to love singing in different genres and even in different languages as well. i sang in German song once and it was the best thing ever!! ^^

Kitfox said:
Slideboner said:
Kitfox said:
Bass guitarist here! >^.^< I started playing the bass in orchestra In 6th grade...lolz the big wooden violin of death! Then i moved on to the Bass guitar. The notes are pretty much the same. I got to play it for a few songs at festival last year! Hehe i got a superior rating on both my double bass and electric bass performances. I'm still playing and i think i won't be stopping any time soon. I wish there where some other musicians in my area...maybe to start a band with. meh, oh well....

What kind of electric bass you have? Mine's a target-bought washburn lyon, lol.

Meh, nothing too fancy. I have a Fender Squiter and a Fender Frontman 15B amp from a local store. lol most likely not to good...i don't really know much about good types. I'm good with what i got though! >^.^<

I'm sure. I was too picky when I started, I wanted *that* sound right away. With that mindset I ended up wasting hundreds of dollars.

LobaHuskita said:
i've just been playing the flute for 8 years and the alto sax for at least 2. this is probably going to sound really weird, but i'm in a semi-professional group called the Peninsula Scout Band and our music is really american patriot related as well as marching and a bit of classical now and then. right now we're learning circus music which is so much fun to play, but extremely hard because of the fast tempo. but what i really enjoy a lot is singing. i'm a soprano and i've grown to love singing in different genres and even in different languages as well. i sang in German song once and it was the best thing ever!! ^^

Interesting, I haven't heard too much circus music and the like. You think learning something like that on guitar would help my speed?

LobaHuskita

oh no....OH NO! D:
Slideboner said:
LobaHuskita said:

Interesting, I haven't heard too much circus music and the like. You think learning something like that on guitar would help my speed?

yeah, i'm sure it would! i always start learning songs new songs in a slow tempo and once i get all the fingerings down, then i'll start getting a lil' faster. i even played a salsa song that was made up by a group i used to play with in the city and it was called , "circo" (spanish for circus). actually, i think i like playing salsa and latin jazz on the flute too because you can improv a lot.

I'm learning to play both the keyboard and the guitar.

I've made a few electronica songs. I don't think they'e good enough to post... but they just need a bit of work and then they'll be good.

Bassist here

IMG_3285.jpg

Been thumping away since 2004. Funk/Jazz inspired.

blueroo

Slideboner said:
Well If you think you've got something different than all the boring crap I hear today, I'd love to hear it (seriously, I haven't heard good rap in 10 years or more). Anyways, the point of the thread was to see what kind of musicians lurk around here, not to exclude anyone with talent. See, it all depends on what my mood was at the time. Maybe I was sick of all the 50 Cents, the Lil Jon's, and any other cookie cutter rap artist who have nothing to spread but social ills and degeneration. The point is, if you're different from that, I'd love to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvb_AZ8c6jI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnevMn60Unk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFb9UqELX8w

gust

I've been playing the guitar for about a year now,
I've played the trumpet for 7 years now,
I sorta play the harmonica...
And recently i've been dabbleing in Fruity Loops, of which i have examples in the link in my sig.
:)

Shapeshifter

Bought a guitar and amp once. Played it for an hour, then gave it to my brother.

Did the marching band thing for a long time. Seven years of percussion.

Currently I'm a... hrm, DJ, turntablist ("scratching" to the uninitiated), drum programmer, and synth player. Teaching myself piano. Have done some production/recording for a few local artists, most of them being rappers or hip-hop artists. Short list of equipment:

Two Stanton STR8-150s
Two Numark TT200s
Pioneer DJM 707
Shure and Stanton needles (Whitelabel, M44-7, HP680)
Akai MPC1000
E-MU XBoard 49
Powerbook with a bunch of VSTs
... and some other toys.  

It sucks. Being a DJ/electronica person is like being a drummer in terms of how much crap you have to lug around.

Currently making all kinds of stuff. Name a genre, and I probably make tracks in that vein. Power metal on a drum machine. Yeah.

blueroo said:
Slideboner said:
Well If you think you've got something different than all the boring crap I hear today, I'd love to hear it (seriously, I haven't heard good rap in 10 years or more). Anyways, the point of the thread was to see what kind of musicians lurk around here, not to exclude anyone with talent. See, it all depends on what my mood was at the time. Maybe I was sick of all the 50 Cents, the Lil Jon's, and any other cookie cutter rap artist who have nothing to spread but social ills and degeneration. The point is, if you're different from that, I'd love to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvb_AZ8c6jI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnevMn60Unk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFb9UqELX8w

Dude, I actually enjoyed those videos. Thanks, blueroo.

Shapeshifter said:
Bought a guitar and amp once. Played it for an hour, then gave it to my brother.

Did the marching band thing for a long time. Seven years of percussion.

Currently I'm a... hrm, DJ, turntablist ("scratching" to the uninitiated), drum programmer, and synth player. Teaching myself piano. Have done some production/recording for a few local artists, most of them being rappers or hip-hop artists. Short list of equipment:

Two Stanton STR8-150s
Two Numark TT200s
Pioneer DJM 707
Shure and Stanton needles (Whitelabel, M44-7, HP680)
Akai MPC1000
E-MU XBoard 49
Powerbook with a bunch of VSTs
... and some other toys.

It sucks. Being a DJ/electronica person is like being a drummer in terms of how much crap you have to lug around.

Currently making all kinds of stuff. Name a genre, and I probably make tracks in that vein. Power metal on a drum machine. Yeah.

Nice gear, dude. I'm getting a little better at programming drums, but I'm afraid until I get the real thing I'll never have any technicality to what I do.

Also, lol @ you probably being better than Dragonforce. I remember a slowed down clip of herman li playing an arpeggio on youtube, absolutely awful. You'd think after all this hype they could play their instruments.

FreerideFox said:
Bassist here

IMG_3285.jpg

Been thumping away since 2004. Funk/Jazz inspired.

Nice basses, bet that collection cost a bit.

If you ever feel the need for a custom bass, Conklin makes absolutely beautiful guitars/basses in any number of strings, any amount of options. If I had the cash right now, I'd get one and never look back.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
Looks like I'm the only bassoonist/contrabassoonist here. Go double reeds!
I can also sort of play trombone, but I haven't in a long time, so I'm sure I lost a good deal of talent with that.

M. Le Renard said:
Looks like I'm the only bassoonist/contrabassoonist here. Go double reeds!
I can also sort of play trombone, but I haven't in a long time, so I'm sure I lost a good deal of talent with that.

Nice, ever play in an orchestral setting?

M. LeRenard

Is not French
Nice, ever play in an orchestral setting?
Not yet. Just wind ensembles and the like. Though next spring I might get my first shot at a philharmonic, assuming I get accepted.
Honestly, though, I prefer bands. They seem to have a much more diverse selection of 'acceptable' music to play, if you know what I mean.

artdecade

A lot of metal heads here! That's where you plug in the guitar to an overdrive and just play power chords as fast as you can right? HAHAA I'm kidding, guys.
hey, why do so many people like metal but hate bluegrass? Bluegrass is awesome! Isn't metal just bluegrass with distortion? Think about it!

i've played jazz and experimental drums for four years. i'm ok at it.

classical guitar, still kinda new but i got a real knack for it. i think i'm better at the guitar after only a few months than i am at drums. i can already play a lot of bach, aguado, ravel, and several anonymous pieces. i also play american-ish folk and bluegrassy stuff.

also way familiar with Reason software, i use it for elitist, experimental snobbery tracks.

Tiarhlu

AKA Tack
reddeath909 said:
i play the stand-up bass!!! i love it so much =3. i have not met many tenor vocalists, and personally i am a bass (very inconvenient when you're trying to get into school musicals DX)

Oh man you're not the only one. I'm a baritone (bass in the morning!) and so there's hardly anything out there I can sing along with; Neil Diamond and TMBG is about it. Why is every lead singer a tenor? I wish I had Weird Al's voice.

I've been a tuba player since the early 90s. I almost had a performance degree as an undergrad, but that wasn't my major, and I was two classes short. Both of the ones I needed weren't offered my last semester, and I didn't want to hang around! I've played everything from medaieval to modern classical to jazz and rock. I have a 1970s Meinl-Weston E-flat and a new Rudy C.

I began learning bass guitar about a year ago. I guess I can't say I play anything on it since I have no one to play with. I can do scales and arpeggios all day though, heh. Mine is a Dean 5-string.

I also began guitar recently. I'm playing a Schecter Omen-6. I keep wondering if my hands are too big for it because the only way I can get a barre chord to sound clean is by having the majority of my index finger actually sticking off the neck, which makes it impossible to curl my other fingers back to hit the high strings.

I'm writing some songs now, so whenever I can get a band started we can do them. My main influences are The Beatles, Ben Folds, and They Might Be Giants.

Slideboner said:
Nice basses, bet that collection cost a bit.

If you ever feel the need for a custom bass, Conklin makes absolutely beautiful guitars/basses in any number of strings, any amount of options. If I had the cash right now, I'd get one and never look back.

The collection so far has only cost me $1535.00

This is what I hope to get some day, Fender custom shop in a very similar color scheme as this, never before seen black transparent ash finish before.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

I'm a fender man, so I think next will come something similar to this, as well as a custom squier knockoff version of it for school. But I believe this is the most beautiful bass in existence.