• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My 445nm 1.6W compact labbie-style LASER

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
So I made a new laser. My first 445nm. :V

/start copypasta (from LPF)

After building a couple small high-power reds, I was looking to build a 445. This is what I ended up with. My very first 445:

host.jpg

Enjoy!

origij.jpg

For the host, I was originally going to use a regular old junked computer PSU. But then I happened to acquire a dead professional monitor PSU that was about to get thrown out (this is what one looks like on the back of a monitor). It had a very nice anodized aluminum case, not cheap steel. :p But it was rather small, so getting everything to fit right without shorting the hell out was a bit of a pain.

sinkold.jpg

Here is the heat sink I used before I machined it to fit the case. I got it cheap on ebay ($16 for two iirc), but it needed to be heavily modified.

sinkf.jpg

Here is the heat sink after machining and installed in the host. The hole just happened to be near-perfect for the module (I had to use a vice to get it in when I used thermal epoxy). This thing is cool even after half an hour of continuous usage.

inbottom.jpg

The inside of the case, with the driver board flipped over to show limiting resistors. It's horrifyingly messy, I know. All the zip ties I used didn't really seem to help. Also, being so cramped doesn't do any good with airflow either. :C

powerdc.jpg

Inside of the top half of the case. I used an 80mm fan from a junked PC mounted externally in a push configuration for cooling. There are two switches: a key safety switch, and a toggle switch with a safety cover mounted on it. The board shown is an ordinary 9v 2A power supply. The case was removed and it was mounted on the side because of space restrictions.

driverq.jpg

Bottom half of the case. I used a LM350T (rated for 3 amps) linear driver with a ceiling of about 1.5A (I originally intended for the ceiling to be about 1.8A but I suppose the resistors are slightly off). I originally thought such a huge heatsink (which I salvaged from a broken computer PSU's MOSFET) would be overkill, but it ended up being necessary. It gets pretty damn warm at 1.5A. That other little chip glued onto a foam block is a $5 9v to 12v converter for the fan.

testhjg.jpg

beamside.jpg

Testing it out while set to 1.2A. Pictures taken in a lit room with normal exposure times. This thing is BRIGHT. I don't have a LPM yet (too cheap to buy one), but I'm pretty sure it's putting out 1W+. It was burning a hole in the wall when I took the first picture. Second photo is of the beam from the side.

Now onto the beam dump. I wanted a way to view the awesome beam from a reasonable distance without barbequing my retinas. This thing is basically a small aluminum project box painted black on the inside with a rock glued to the end, and a 10mm hole drilled in the front.

dumpopen.jpg

Opened

dumptest.jpg

Beam dump in action. Okay, maybe it isn't the greatest beam dump in the world, but it's a hell of a lot better than staring at the beam while the dot's bouncing off a white wall.

So, what do you guys think? Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Overall, I'm pretty damn happy with this as my first 445nm build. Hopefully it'll last a while at 1.2A. :D

Update: I just got my laserbee 2.5W usb lpm, and decided to meter this laser. This is what I got:

445lab1.png

So either I got a freak diode or my DMM is broken, because I clearly remember setting it at 1.2A. :huh:

/end copypasta

So.... yeah....

Last edited:

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Very nice workmanship, very neatly done. And yes, you really need to get appropriate eyewear before you go playing with it too much. Heh... I'd be interested to see what such a laser would do to pesky bugs.........

Cocobanana

Hehe it'd be awesome if you could get rid of bugs that way.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
I laughed soooo hard at how fast their wings burn off, it's so fast it happens between a single beat! That fly has no idea why he's suddenly falling.

Ames

I hope you own glasses (not the magnification kind)

Very nice workmanship, very neatly done. And yes, you really need to get appropriate eyewear before you go playing with it too much. Heh... I'd be interested to see what such a laser would do to pesky bugs.........

Yeah I would be functionally retarded to not have proper goggles while working with a 1.6W laser. I've got a really nice pair that's ~OD 5+ at this wavelength and can take 2W of power down to <1mW, but still has crazy good visible light transmission (awesuumm).

And no I would never think about hurting our little multi-legged exoskeletal friends. D:

Those pesky bunnies, on the other hand...

That's pretty cool, any specific reason you decided to make this or was it just a random project?

I started off making DVD burner red lasers as a random side project, so I suppose this was just a logical continuation of that.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
That laser is bad ass.

You should build one of these next.
[yt]RUXXGbNS8oY[/yt]

Heh... I was thinking of that vid, but you beat me to it. Wish I had the money to order one! Looks like it would make an excellent bug zapper.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Next step: Death star raygun

T

Tycho

Laser weaponry is not currently regulated by the ATF and stuff in the fashion more conventional weaponry is, right?

Jashwa

It really bothers me that your descriptions for your links are underneath of the links themselves. It doesn't follow my schema for descriptions of things. That and your visual hierarchy in your post is all kinds of fucked.

5/10 Content was good but the format ruined the post for me.

Ames

That laser is bad ass.

You should build one of these next.
[yt]RUXXGbNS8oY[/yt]

Pshh I wish. I saw that video a while ago. The knowledge and resources that guy has at his disposal are way beyond me. But a basic Q-Switched flashlamp-pumped ND:YAG mechanism like he has there wouldn't be too difficult to build into a tabletop host.

It really bothers me that your descriptions for your links are underneath of the links themselves. It doesn't follow my schema for descriptions of things. That and your visual hierarchy in your post is all kinds of fucked.

5/10 Content was good but the format ruined the post for me.

Hey, I'm no web designer. Typed the whole thing out in 2 minutes, didn't put any more thought into it than an ordinary forum post.

Pfft.

Call me when they build one that can burn through human flesh.

My laser CAN already burn through human flesh. Pass your hand through the beam and you will get blisters. It hurts like flying solder.