• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My college's internet connection scares me (SpeedTest.net result)

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
1236514_10201963161783813_1251995010_n.jpg

Great Googly Moogly!!!

Is a 0ms ping over the internet even actually POSSIBLE!?

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Oh, and also the school apparently has an iOS/Android/BB app that, amongst other things, tells you how long the lineups are at the campus coffee shops and the estimated wait time.

560849_10201971474831634_1784881155_n.jpg

The only conclusion I can make now is that my school is some form of 'Technological Hogwartz'. o_O;;;

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
1236514_10201963161783813_1251995010_n.jpg

Great Googly Moogly!!!

Is a 0ms ping over the internet even actually POSSIBLE!?
Sounds like your college hosted that Speedtest server. Try again with a different server.

Runefox

so if you download a steam game that's like 5 gb will it only take 15 seconds?
Assuming that Ashes could download at the whole 370mbps, that's 46.25MB/sec. Assuming 5GB = 5120MB, this would take approximately 110 seconds.

My residential internet connection gets me 170mbps, which is 21.25MB/sec. It would take me approximately 240 seconds. This is why I don't buy boxed games.

Basic math says no. But it's still ludicrous speed. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Runefox

I'm actually more interested in using all that bandwidth to upload losslessly compressed works to YouTube without it taking days. :)
62.5MB/sec upstream.

Assuming lossless audio at around 1000kbps (FLAC with lots of loud bits) and lossless video at ~90mbps (480p Lagarith), that's about 60GB for a 90 minute film (Ashes is a film student). At 62.5MB/sec, you're looking at about 983 seconds, or 16.38 minutes.

... Assuming YouTube allocates that much bandwidth for uploads and you're flat out the whole time.

EDIT: Whoops! That number's for 480p Lagarith. 1080p is going to be much, much larger. Should have checked that source a bit better. Also should have known, but it's 5AM, so numbers.

Last edited:

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
62.5MB/sec upstream.

Assuming lossless audio at around 1000kbps (FLAC with lots of loud bits) and lossless video at ~90mbps (1080p Lagarith), that's about 60GB for a 90 minute film (Ashes is a film student). At 62.5MB/sec, you're looking at about 983 seconds, or 16.38 minutes.

... Assuming YouTube allocates that much bandwidth for uploads and you're flat out the whole time.

Youtube has no documented file size limit and assuming you can upload without interruption it's all good. I don't use Lagarith as YouTube does not natively support it. (Tried, YouTube no likey Lagarith). However I found a more suitable option anyway, lossless h.264. While lossless h.264 still uses 4:2:0 and can't do 4:4:4, so you lose that, but as YouTube is going to re-encode to 4:2:0 anyway it's no loss you wouldn't have seen. I did this as an experiment previously, 10min short film at 1080p, Lossless h.264 with FLAC in an MKV, about 6GB total. YouTube had no problem taking in a 6GB file though it did take about 90mins of processing. :X

Migoto Da

Heat the Beat
Assuming that Ashes could download at the whole 370mbps, that's 46.25MB/sec. Assuming 5GB = 5120MB, this would take approximately 110 seconds.

My residential internet connection gets me 170mbps, which is 21.25MB/sec. It would take me approximately 240 seconds. This is why I don't buy boxed games.

Basic math says no. But it's still ludicrous speed.
[video=youtube;mk7VWcuVOf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0[/video]

OT: My internet connection down here only gives me about 30 mb/s Down and 10 mb/s up. I am insanely jelly of your internet speeds up there.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Just FYI speedtest for the past week has been pretty off the mark. Take a few tests on different ones like speakeasy, charter, twc or whatnot.

I noticed that Speedtest has been reporting speeds radically different than what other ones are reporting.