• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My experience with Vista.

E

Epsereth

I got a new laptop running Vista for my birthday last week.

Do NOT effing get Vista.

Just DON'T.

It's nothing but errors, fuckups, and lockups. Sometimes programs work and other times you're told that the same programs were never installed, or that they're illegal, or that there's an unfixable error. Sometimes drivers just disappear and need to be reinstalled. Some of my programs auto-registered without my consent. A bunch of my pictures vanished from my hard drive. It's ugly and clunky and packed with superfluous visuals that take up space and slow everything down. It won't let you rearrange your desktop. It's not compatible with iTunes. It takes three minutes to shut down. It runs slower than my 4-year-old, virus-infected HP. I left it sitting for half an hour while I took a nap, and when I came back the computer locked up for 10 minutes, wouldn't let me control my cursor, wouldn't open the Task Manager, and it had to be improperly force-shut off.

And I've only had it for a damned week.

About an hour ago I was so angry with it that I was on the verge of tears. I tried to get an account on the Windows forum so I could complain, but they wouldn't let me sign up (suspicious much?). There is not a single complaint about Vista on the entire feedback forum that I could see.

I have no idea how Vista is legally marketable. There is not a single thing about it worth the money. I cannot get an XP OS disc because I have so many programs that were auto-registered without my consent, and I can't afford to replace them all. I don't want to have to deal with this for the next several years ... please, please take my word for it, and if you buy a new laptop, pay the extra $50 up front for XP installation.

Epsereth said:
Do NOT effing get Vista.

Just DON'T.

It's nothing but errors, fuckups, and lockups. Sometimes programs work and other times you're told that the same programs were never installed, or that they're illegal, or that there's an unfixable error. Sometimes drivers just disappear and need to be reinstalled. Some of my programs auto-registered without my consent. A bunch of my pictures vanished from my hard drive. It's ugly and clunky and packed with superfluous visuals that take up space and slow everything down. It won't let you rearrange your desktop. It's not compatible with iTunes. It takes three minutes to shut down. It runs slower than my 4-year-old, virus-infected HP. I left it sitting for half an hour while I took a nap, and when I came back the computer locked up for 10 minutes, wouldn't let me control my cursor, wouldn't open the Task Manager, and it had to be improperly force-shut off.

I could of told people all that MONTHS ago... Oh wait, I did. :p
http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=5655

E

Epsereth

crabby_the_frog said:
I could of told people all that MONTHS ago... Oh wait, I did. :p
http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=5655

Then we're in agreement. Consider this a confirmation of Vista death wishes.

Yays!!
And I've discovered the best oxymoron ever:

Microsoft works.

*runs off laughing maniacally*

Aikon

Epsereth said:

Do NOT effing get Vista.

Just DON'T.

*respectfully snipped for space*

I own Vista Ultimate and while I don't think it's as great as what it was supposed to be, I find a lot of the problems you state to be off the wall, or outright false.

Let's begin what what I know for a fact: iTunes is now compatible with Vista, 7.1.1. In fact it always has been. It had issues, but it worked fundimentally. Always has, even in Rc1 and Rc2, both of which I used. All the major issues have been ironed out with iTunes now. And BTW so you know, it's Apple's problem not Microsoft's.

Second, you can do anything you want with the desktop. Whatever issues you're having is with with a third-party vendor or whatever. For instance, I have a folder that installed itself when I bought an HP Scanner, HP Share to Web. It WILL NOT delete, ever. It's not Vista, it's HP. What issues are you having?

Third, programs auto-registering? This is more along the lines of what I could see happening, but I admit I've never heard of it. I know there was an issue with registration popups not going away with certain programs even when do register. I don't know on this one.

As for things missing, there's apparently someone else using your computer, or you're moving files and forgetting, or you have some seriously f'd up hardware. Especially pictures, maybe Vista just doesn't like the shots you took? ;) Seriously though, I've never heard of this. How could it? It's not processing your image files on a constant basis. As for programs missing, how do you know? Are you just typing in their name or did you actually go into the C:/program files and look? I ask, because I installed one program (Forte' Agent) that even when I search for it or browse through my programs in the start menu, it doesn't come up. But it's there in program files.

As for clunky, ugly, superfluous and slow... most of that is a matter of opinion. Being slow is false, it's actually faster for Vista to render Aero over say, Basic. Why? Because Aero is handed off to the GPU. Read what people have to say in the link, even the article if you want. Read anywhere you like, Aero is faster, unless you have have a crappy video card, or your case chipset. In the Windows Experience Index, what's your score for Graphics?

http://digg.com/tech_news/Microsoft_Claims_Vista_s_Aero_Interface_Doesn_t_Slow_PCs

Three minute shutdown? It CAN take that long, if it was in the middle of something intensive when you decided to shut down. The same is true with XP or even OS X too. Although Vista does seem slightly slower than those two, I've never said "wow this is taking way longer than it should!". Normally it only takes about 35 seconds for my little P4 to shutdown to a black screen. IF I'm not in the middle of doing a radial spin on a 1 GB file set to 100% in Photoshop of course. How much RAM do you have installed? Maybe you have too many programs open at one time when you go to close.

As for it locking up, again, I've had no issues here. It's way more responsive than XP was, and even XP was decent. It could be hardware related too, that is maybe your computer either your CPU or Graphics chipset is getting too hot. I don't know how commen it is on laptops but you might want to look into it.

A lot of these gripes are generic or off the wall just to bash MS. If you want real Vista problems, I'll make a list of the issues I have with it. But fair is fair, Vista IS a stable, solid upgrade to XP. If it's not for you, sorry about your luck but just keep in mind that your problems aren't wide-spread. You should contact tech support first before going on a anti-Vista rampage.

E

Epsereth

Aikon said:
I find a lot of the problems you state to be off the wall, or outright false.  

First of all - I'm not making these problems up. I find it just ... silly that you're implying that I'm lying about them. I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that. I mean, really.

I don't have a problem with Microsoft either, that's yet another ridiculous assumption. I really loved my old HP running XP, and I had all hopes for the new Dell.

I'm just reporting the problems I'm having. I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I know what should not be happening, and the lockups, errors, and missing files go under that category. Nobody has been using my computer besides me. I have plenty of trustworthy anti-virus protection. I do not have too much installed. All of your accusations of mistakes I must be making are off. The ad hominems are unnecessary. I was just reporting what's going on, plain and simple. And I've certainly heard almost all of the same from other people before.

Thanks.

*shrugs* my only encounter (and hopefully my last) with Vista was unpleasant, we were at a computer parts store and it was up on one of the new comps.. i decided I needed a calculator at the time ( a simple calc, shouldnt be that hard to find) and searched for a while and couldnt find one...i found the entire layout irritating and do not relish the thought of attempting to use this program on future computers.

sgolem

I'm curious, does anyone remember what was Windows XP like when it first came out in comparison to Windows Vista? I can imagine Vista will be a lot better in a year after there's a lot more support, but was XP having problems like this around this time after release?

E

Epsereth

Orlith Nemeth said:
*shrugs* my only encounter (and hopefully my last) with Vista was unpleasant, we were at a computer parts store and it was up on one of the new comps.. i decided I needed a calculator at the time ( a simple calc, shouldnt be that hard to find) and searched for a while and couldnt find one...i found the entire layout irritating and do not relish the thought of attempting to use this program on future computers.

Yeah, the layouts are quite different and take some getting used to, but I can imagine any major OS change would be like that. I've found that the new Word layout, while jarring at first, actually makes more practical sense. That's really the best thing about the whole update.

E

Epsereth

sgolem said:
I'm curious, does anyone remember what was Windows XP like when it first came out in comparison to Windows Vista?  I can imagine Vista will be a lot better in a year after there's a lot more support, but was XP having problems like this around this time after release?

I've heard it was pretty foul at first, really, and took a lot of niggling before it got really fixed. I just can't understand how Vista would be released with so many bugs. I've heard an incredibly vast array of complaints about Vista, so many in fact that Dell began offering XP again with new computers (at a price, of course). I just wish I'd known my dad was getting me Vista, cos I would have paid the extra charge. :

Aikon

Epsereth said:
Aikon said:
I find a lot of the problems you state to be off the wall, or outright false.  

First of all - I'm not making these problems up. I find it just ... silly that you're implying that I'm lying about them. I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that. I mean, really.

Ok fine, you're not making it up.  But why didn't you respond to a single question I asked?  I asked questions because, believe it not, I was trying to help, or at least get you to delve a little deeper into your problems so maybe you could fix it.  

I'm not saying you're lying, and I'm sorry if you got that implication, but... pictures deleting themselves?  What am I to think?  That just seems off the wall to me, if only to me.  

I don't have a problem with Microsoft either, that's yet another ridiculous assumption.

It's funny how things can be interpreted, ain't it?

I really loved my old HP running XP, and I had all hopes for the new Dell.

I'm just reporting the problems I'm having. I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I know what should not be happening, and the lockups, errors, and missing files go under that category. Nobody has been using my computer besides me.

Fair enough.

I have plenty of trustworthy anti-virus protection.

Truthworty anti-virus?  That sounds like an oxymoron.  It's just I hear a lot of bad press about anti-virus software gunking up your system and whatnot, I just had to say it :)  

I do not have too much installed. All of your accusations of mistakes I must be making are off. The ad hominems are unnecessary. I was just reporting what's going on, plain and simple.

No, there were no ad hominemenimenims.  Er, I had to look that word up. I heard of it before just no one's ever used in front of me before... eh, I hang out with dummies, and I was never brilliant with words myself.  Anyway, I wasn't arguing with you to argue with you, and I was trying to address your problems.  See my first response above.  Sorry if you got the implication otherwise.

And I've certainly heard almost all of the same from other people before.

What problems and where did you find other people talking about it?  All I'm saying is I never heard of some of these problems before, and I'm no expert, but I poke my nose around Vista related news a lot.

I'm getting the impression you didn't really mean that last bit, did you?

I'm no expert either but, hopefully you'll agree with me on this... this was your first experience with it and there "may" be underlying problems which actually may not have anything to do with Vista itself.  iTunes for exmaple (BTW what broguht that on, what problems ARE you having with iTunes anyway?), or sluggish Aero, both of which I already addresed.  Or there may.  Therefore, without knowing for sure... it's pretty much moot.  

Contact tech support, it's cool if you wanna report problems or whatever, but people tend to get get carried away with it (I have done it too, I won't lie). I just feel Vista has been slammed unfairly for unjust, or rather obscure or even yes, made up reasons.  Meanwhile more pressing issues aren't being unaddressed.  But whatever, that's my opinion, criticize me if you want.

And you know it's kinda funny, I'm disappointed in Vista like you, albeit for different reasons, and I'm saving up to buy a Mac hopefully next year.  :lol:  Speaking of moot points...

Aikon

sgolem said:
You know, now that I think about it, is it possible that the problems are due to Dell installing a bunch of crap you didn't want on it?

I read that Dell was supposed to be reducing the amount of crud they put on, which could also mean they're being choosey (though money is always the deciding factor ;)). I know when they first announced it it only affected their top-of-the-line computers but that was at least 6 months ago. Who knows? It's a possability though.

like say to all the people:

windows vista its the failed attemmpt to make a OS based on mac OS X

its really bad...and the most common problem its the permissions for all the things you make i nyour pc/laptop

and the worst problem its the DRM (in my case its the worst problem :p )

in short: if you want somehitng like vista..buy a mac
...or linux!!!! (the gay penguin rulz!!!!)

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Vista is like a Celebrity Whore...maybe like Paris Hilton or Pamela Anderson, you might wanna bang or think they're pretty but the personality is so wretched you don't want anything to do with them.

So I liked Vista's look, like the icons and taskbar. So I got this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Vista-Transformation-Pack.shtml

and I'm happy.

I can wait on Vista, it usually takes a year or so before they get most of the irritating kinks worked out.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Vista does work, it needs shit loads of tweaking for it to work smoothly. XP has 'Plug & Play' (as in you plug it in and it's easy to get something working instead of shitloads of Vista troubleshooting and tweeking) over Vista at the moment. I won't touch Vista until another year or so. DX10 and Halo 2 isn't a good enough reason to upgrade to it yet.

Vista is still beta. Can't friggin' believe they released it at all. I'm gonna stick to XP or even Windows 98 for the moment. They are both much better alternatives.

BijouxDeFoxxe

shake wut ur mama gave u
My new laptop came with vista. I havent done much on it yet, but most of what I need to install, should work with only minor scuffles like Illustrator and Photoshop.

Aikon

eichiro_shirauna said:
its really bad...and the most common problem its the permissions for all the things you make i nyour pc/laptop

Eh, UAC is not that big of deal, and definately not a problem.  I've been using Vista for a couple of months and didn't really feel hassled (except at the very beginning installing a whole bunch of programs).  Once you have all your apps installed it's all pretty transparent, even when you do get a prompt. 

DRM is one of those things that I have to agree with, although it doesn't affect me too much, I can see how it will be a problem.  I've a problem when Media Player won't play DVD's because I guess my player or video card or something isn't approved.  Who knows, I still can't get an answer for it.  I just use Power DVD 5.

sgolem

Apparently the DRM in Vista has already been hacked. I knew this was going to happen as soon as I heard about Vista having DRM.

Good thing too. The DRM is the biggest issue I have with it really, and was the thing that made me regret the fact that I will probably have to get Vista on my next computer.

TeeGee

Are you sure you want to post a new reply? Click Yes to proceed.

Are you absolutely sure you want to click yes? Click Yes to proceed.

Are you sure you clicked Yes? Click Yes to proceed.

Rhainor

Rawr.
Epsereth said:

Do NOT effing get Vista.

Just DON'T.

It's nothing but errors, fuckups, and lockups.

Aikon said:
I own Vista Ultimate and while I don't think it's as great as what it was supposed to be, I find a lot of the problems you state to be off the wall, or outright false.

Ditto (on Aikon). I have my comp set up to dual-boot Vista Business (it was free, and legal; otherwise I'd have Home Premium), and I've had none of Epsereth's problems. None. I don't use iTunes, so I can't vouch for that one, but the rest sound like user error or non-Microsoft-software problems.

My Vista is more stable than my XP. If there existed a Vista driver for my dial-up modem (or if I had broadband), Vista would be my main OS, and XP the backup.

...And to those who mentioned DRM in Vista: I haven't seen it. I know it's there, of course, but the only time I've noticed DRM in Vista is when organizing my music library, I tried playing a song that I'd ripped from a CD *years ago* in XP before I knew to turn off the "Copy protect ripped CD music" option in Windows Media Player -- Since I re-installed XP, neither my XP nor my Vista has the license to play that file. Vista is *exactly* the same as XP in this regard.

sgolem

Ripping CDs isn't really the problem. It's has more to do with having to buy a special monitor and video card to watch movies. It's really the MPAA's fault, not Microsoft's, but it's still a huge turn off for me nonetheless, and something that might just keep me away from newer formats.

The rest of the problems, I could probably deal with. I'm not going to have Vista any time soon, so the growing pains likely won't effect me anyway.