• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My future world timeline- feedback?

Maximum7

What do you think?
This is my timeline of the future of the world. I just need 5 future ideas for each era. It can be an invention, scientific discovery, technology etc. Thanks

Era 1: Post-Information Age (circa 2020-2060)

--the immediate future

Era 2: Fusion Age (2060-2100)

--the advent of fusion power eliminates the need for fossil fuels and ushers in an age of unlimited energy

Era 3: Interplanetary Age (2100-2200)

--Humanity explores the solar system and establishes bases on the moon and Mars

Era 4 Interstellar Age (2200-2300)

--The invention of Faster than light travel allows humanity to explore the galaxy

Era 5: Age of Abundance (2300-2400)

--Humanity colonizes the galaxy

Era 6: Transcendent Era (2400+)

--Humanity uploads their minds into computers and live in their own immortal designer universes

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Nothing else to do, I see.
10474930_1438181936449466_1492814196_a.jpg

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
Era 7: Age of Maxim (???)
-- Maximum7 invents an invention machine for inventing inventions for future invention

S

Sagt

This is the third time you've made a post like this. This in mind, can you now elaborate on why you want to make such a list - you mentioned that it was a project, but of what sort? It just seems kind of bizarre how you post about it so infrequently and on a different thread each time.

Anyways, for a lot of those eras you could probably get/steal ideas from sci-fi movies that you've seen.

Maximum7

This is the third time you've made a post like this. This in mind, can you now elaborate on why you want to make such a list - you mentioned that it was a project, but of what sort? It just seems kind of bizarre how you post about it so infrequently and on a different thread each time.

Anyways, for a lot of those eras you could probably get/steal ideas from sci-fi movies that you've seen.

I'm trying to generate ideas for a sci-fi story. All my ideas are too generic.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
I'm trying to generate ideas for a sci-fi story. All my ideas are too generic.

Okay, now you've given us something to work with.

I'm in no way a creative writer, but I am a researcher and am familiar with the whole "creating original ideas" thing. I think you're going about this the wrong way and need to change your paradigm. For one, no matter how good you become at writing, you will always borrow from previous writers and ideas. Even Tolkien did this when he incorporated elements of past cultures into Middle Earth, and his world was one of the most original and detailed ever created. Assuming you're learning to write science fiction, you need to focus on the tricks of the trade before worrying about originality. Before any idea, no matter how original, will work, you have to create a setting and a conflict and plot. The technology has to be an integral part of the world you present to the reader, and I would argue that you need to give the reader enough believable pseudoscience to grasp how that world and its technology work. In short, the technology cannot be an ad hoc gimmick that you paste in. I wouldn't be surprised if it's best treated as a character in its own right. Even with well-explored ideas like AI, this is nontrivial.

Instead of spending weeks creating a personal library of technologies for future use, I think you should take generic ideas, find existing literature focusing on them, and throw in your own spin. Hell, just try to replicate existing plots to see what happens. Sure, for a while your stories may be pretty generic, perhaps even cliche. That doesn't matter because you will be practicing, and over time you will learn the subtleties and develop a style. As you become more engrossed in your field, you'll learn what has and has not been done; and eventually you'll start synthesizing your own ideas from the fragments of other works. And when you do start synthesizing these ideas, you'll have the skills to do them justice.