• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My General Take on Pride Month

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
People have always found excuses to have drunk, slightly sexually risqué public events. That's not particularly specific to the LGBT Pride people, so pretending it is, is pretty stupid.
It’s not. I’m not saying it is at all. I’m saying that we don’t get special treatment and need to be held accountable for behavior the same way as straight people. You can’t just excuse it because it’s a Pride event.

Shoiyo

Smartass skunk
While I'm all for being proud of who I am (screw all those who engage in bi-erasure) I can't help but feel that the thousands if not millions of dollars put toward celebrations could go toward things like Rainbow Railroad or Rainbow Bridge to help those who are in countries where being a homosexual is still punishable by death. It's all good to celebrate how far we've come. But it's still important to remember those who are where we were.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

My wife and I took our two teenaged kids to the Pride Festival here in Atlanta. Had a great time! I didn't see anything there you don't see at any music festival or other celebrations.

Galatur René

Pantsuit Batty Vampire Lady
While I'm all for being proud of who I am (screw all those who engage in bi-erasure) I can't help but feel that the thousands if not millions of dollars put toward celebrations could go toward things like Rainbow Railroad or Rainbow Bridge to help those who are in countries where being a homosexual is still punishable by death. It's all good to celebrate how far we've come. But it's still important to remember those who are where we were.
I don't know about the Pride events you have been to, but the Trans Pride march that I went to that lead to the Portland Pride festival had tables for many such things to help others. In fact, it seemed almost to me like Portland's pride festival acted as one giant fundraiser for such things, which I thought was a very nice way to do things.

ThunderSnowolf

Dead Account
Lets not start straight pride, I don't want to deal with a bunch of butthurt basement dwellers upset that gay people can fuck without getting their balls chopped off parading down main street.

There are problems within the LGBT community of acceptance of people with other identities under that umbrella. You would think people who have suffered oppression would know better, but people are people.

Being straight doesn't make someone a basement dweller. And actually, I don't have any balls because I'm a woman. I've suffered oppression too. In fact, I've even been a victim of a hate crime. I'm lucky not to have been killed being as no weapons were involved other than fists.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

What's with the "we"? I don't identify as your species. I'm very sorry.
And please, don't bash me for that. I'd really appreciate it.
Believe me, the human species is the most wretched and disappointing species on this planet. That's the truth of it. So no bashing from me.

ThunderSnowolf

Dead Account
Another reason foxes are bad, and need to be spanked.....daily!

Really, because Ryan is a fox. He finds calling all individuals of his species "bad" to be speciesist because he is in fact good. There are no bad foxes, only bad exotic pet owners.
Also, as his current owner, I can most certainly say that you don't want to spank him... He's very defensive and he bites.

ThunderSnowolf

Dead Account
Believe me, the human species is the most wretched and disappointing species on this planet. That's the truth of it. So no bashing from me.
Really? All humans are wretched and disappointing? Now that is just speciesist. What about children? Children are innocent. Don't forget, you claimed to be human. Misanthropy is wrong and it's the reason why I do not identify as human. Actually, that almost got me hurt too. Why do you hate humans so much? What did I ever do to you back when I did identify as one of you?

O

Okami_No_Heishi

I don't know about the Pride events you have been to, but the Trans Pride march that I went to that lead to the Portland Pride festival had tables for many such things to help others. In fact, it seemed almost to me like Portland's pride festival acted as one giant fundraiser for such things, which I thought was a very nice way to do things.
There were alot of fundraisers at Atlanta's Pride Fest as well. And there was a parade and of course one of the floats(which unfortunately we didnt get to see) was a bunch of Furry Fursuiters!

O

Okami_No_Heishi

Really? All humans are wretched and disappointing? Now that is just speciesist. What about children? Children are innocent. Don't forget, you claimed to be human. Misanthropy is wrong and it's the reason why I do not identify as human. Actually, that almost got me hurt too. Why do you hate humans so much? What did I ever do to you back when I did identify as one of you?
Human children can be as cruel as adults, hence bullying. Did I wrong you or something?

Being straight doesn't make someone a basement dweller. And actually, I don't have any balls because I'm a woman. I've suffered oppression too. In fact, I've even been a victim of a hate crime. I'm lucky not to have been killed being as no weapons were involved other than fists.
A lot of the people who bitch about Pride use "well there isn't a straight pride!" as a deflection when called out for homophobic statements.

Plenty of people have been oppressed because they were LGBT, but nobody has been oppressed on basis of them being straight.

ThunderSnowolf

Dead Account
A lot of the people who bitch about Pride use "well there isn't a straight pride!" as a deflection when called out for homophobic statements.

Plenty of people have been oppressed because they were LGBT, but nobody has been oppressed on basis of them being straight.

Well think about it; maybe if we did give homophobes a straight pride month, then they'd finally shut up about it. If they don't, then I don't know what else to do. Sadly, it seems there'll always be hate on this plane no matter what.

Yvvki

Sassy lesser panda.

This is just my opinion but everyone deserves to feel appreciated, that's why people want a straight pride... And to a point I agree, because everyone should be valid.
I also understand that the gay pride is more so saying that "We also matter" but if you think about it, doesn't everyone matter?

That's just how I interpret it though.

original-5796-1497621225-5.jpg

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
Homosexuality isn't all about sex though. Many people I've met who are gay weren't even of legal age to do so.
That’s the problem though. Too many people are concerned with partying that they don’t remember why we celebrate and the long journey it was to get here. Also I like the idea of putting the money usually spent on lavish festivals towards helping people that are in real danger because of their orientation or gender identity. The majority of what I see is people using the festivities and being LGBT as an excuse to act like a bunch of drunk animals in public.

ThunderSnowolf

Dead Account
That’s the problem though. Too many people are concerned with partying that they don’t remember why we celebrate and the long journey it was to get here. Also I like the idea of putting the money usually spent on lavish festivals towards helping people that are in real danger because of their orientation or gender identity. The majority of what I see is people using the festivities and being LGBT as an excuse to act like a bunch of drunk animals in public.

Well humans are biologically animals to begin with so everyone's a party animal. Literally. But when you think about it like that, LGBT pride seems to be a very controversial subject in general. With how this post turned out, it's pretty disheartening to hear a lot of the problems that go on during this month, especially in concerns to hate crimes.

B

BahgDaddy

It’s not. I’m not saying it is at all. I’m saying that we don’t get special treatment and need to be held accountable for behavior the same way as straight people. You can’t just excuse it because it’s a Pride event.

Any large event where people act stupid I tend to avoid. But as I said already, there's no need to single out Pride events for special criticism. It helps bring awareness, make it more visible for people to see, and as someone just mentioned, also act as fundraising.

This is just my opinion but everyone deserves to feel appreciated, that's why people want a straight pride... And to a point I agree, because everyone should be valid.
I also understand that the gay pride is more so saying that "We also matter" but if you think about it, doesn't everyone matter?

That's just how I interpret it though.

Straight pride is a bit redundant. It would be like celebrating white pride. Kind of insulting really, when it's still the default norm.

ResolutionBlaze

Angry Local
Banned
Pride is a tricky business.
-
There is nothing wrong with being prideful about something, especially when it is being used as a means to normalize it or equalize it with society.
-
However, we have to ask ourselves when that pride overstays its welcome. In my opinion, Pride is starting to teeter on that line between necessity and overstaying.
-
There's a reason Pride is a vice and one of the seven deadly sins. Nationalism, Excessive Altruism... these two things lead to dangerous circumstances, and both have a form of pride in them (Excessive Altruism is being too prideful to admit that not everyone deserves to be helped or not everyone CAN be helped).
-
I don't have to remind people that Germany used to have a very high emphasis on pride.
-
-
Gay Pride can't exactly have the same impact due to sheer self-limitations, but that doesn't mean Pride can't turn into something ugly if it continues long enough.

TBH the biggest problem with pride has been the gatekeeping issue, where many people are trying to cut the B and T out of LGBT. It's also a bit of a sausage fest nowadays, to where lesbians feel less welcome. It has become a real issue where a celebration for tolerance and acceptance has become the battleground of that kind of divisive bullshit.

ResolutionBlaze

Angry Local
Banned
TBH the biggest problem with pride has been the gatekeeping issue, where many people are trying to cut the B and T out of LGBT. It's also a bit of a sausage fest nowadays, to where lesbians feel less welcome. It has become a real issue where a celebration for tolerance and acceptance has become the battleground of that kind of divisive bullshit.
This is why I don't take Pride very seriously; it forces those within it to gatekeep, because they want to be "inclusive" but also be for specific people. You can't have both. If they attempt to do the former they will simply continue growing the LGBT larger and larger until it becomes a parody of itself and reduces to the very individual themselves. If they attempt to go with the latter, then gatekeeping is necessary and thus you begin taking the Pride too far.

ResolutionBlaze

Angry Local
Banned
Exactly.
-
That's the issue when you make parades about sexual identity. There is a tendency to actually participate in said sexuality.
-
That's why Gay Pride parades tend to be memed up to where they're just kinkfest gatherings.