• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My husband has cancer

AvalonChi

So, I am female, 34. My husband, non furry has been diagnosed with lung cancer. I have held back on getting lots of fur art because he finds the fandom gross, but now I wish I had more art of us. He really hates furry fandom so I hide it but I wish I could be open.

Last edited:

Queen Brie

My deepest sympathies. I work in health care and seeing patients and their families receiving such a hard diagnosis is never easy. My heart breaks every time but I always hold out hope because cancer can be beat! hugs and love

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
My sympathies with both of you. Cancer in the family is never easy to deal with, as it took both my grandparents on my mother's side.

Personally I would save up for potential treatments instead of getting art. Get your priorities straight first and foremost.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Oh wow. *hugs*

Cancer tends to run in my mother's side of the family so I've seen how hard it can be but the best thing you can do is to simply be there for your husband and to encourage him even on the hardest days. That'll help more than you know.

And I agree with Yakamaru; furry art can wait.

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
Damn. I don't know what to say but you have all my sympathy. I lost my aunt to cancer a few months back. It's an absolute bitch of an illness.

pingpong99

Best of luck with the treatment, I pray it yields promising results. Must be a very nerve-wracking experience for you..

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
First and foremost...I'm sorry for what you're going through.
My adoptive father passed from Lung Cancer, so I understand it to a small degree.

Secondly...

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but in the end, it's your money and your art as well as your fandom. If you want more art of you both in the medium that would help with your grief, I see no issue with that. I have one partner who's not a furry, but doesn't mind when I get art. She even designed a 'Sona for me to use for her. I have another who despises furries, but knows that I created a 'Sona for him (with his permission) and knows I get art of him. Does he like it? Not really, but he knows about it, and he knows the fandom is apart of my life to some degree and that I get art because I appreciate him, and want to include him in that part of my creative process.

In the end, respecting people is important, so showing it off probably isn't a good idea (I don't usually show him my art, but he knows I get it). Maybe if you speak with your husband, let him know how you feel on the matter, and promise not to show him if that's too much for him --- he could approve of it for you. Some people will always hate what they don't understand, and sometimes, that's just something we have to deal with. In the same boat, he married a Furry so...he's going to have to deal with that Furry being a creative and getting art for themselves.

It's a two way street, after all.