• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My life as a teenage furry

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Just a quick, fun little set of questions for all the now adult furries of website!

What kind of teenager where you? Angsty? Directionless? Rebellious? Awkward? What sort of challenges were you faced with?

For me? Painfully awkward, self conscious, angry, and rebellious. I wasn't very social, and most of my attempts at being social were seeped with self doubt. That was probably my biggest flaw and part of why I came off as so awkward, I had very little confidence in myself, and always second guessed such little things. Like, if I sent an email or note to somebody on FA I liked and they didn't reply very quickly, I'd begin to convince myself that they really didn't want to talk much to me or interact much at all. "Surely, said person must not really want to bother talking to me, why would they?" Was often my internal monologue about those situations. I relied quite a bit on the approval of others.
Naturally that lack of confidence made me what you might call today as 'pretty fucking cringe'. Said a lot of cringy things, did a lot of cringy things. Anger at times motivated some of the things I said too. Said a lot of nasty things in anger or just general dissatisfaction or as you might have seen on my old forum tag "edgy teenage apathy'. Ayyy callback! Well maybe it was more, edgy teenage angst to be fair.

I tend to have a lot of shame when I look back on myself as a teenager, most of what I was then isn't too related to who I am now. Though, I suppose I still have an air of rebelliousness to myself. Though, I'd call myself more free spirited than rebellious now, which of course, comes with all the good and bad stereotypes you might generally associate with that trait.
I can also be a little edgy still at times, obviously I've toned that down quite a bit from my teen years, but it still comes up certainly. That's just what makes me, me in part. Whether that be for better or worse.

Probably the thing I am most thankful that changed was my lack of confidence. The amount of difference having confidence in yourself makes cannot be understated. Going from nearly eating myself alive from anxiety from how somebody might react to what I said, to relatively little anxiety or concern is genuinely life changing. It also naturally led to vastly improved social skills. Not being so angry at the world is pretty nice too, as is having some sort of life direction.

Anywho that's enough about me, tell me about you!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 82554

I would say I'm all of the above and then some. Scientists have to figure out names for the type of things I am. Can't say things have changed that much either, maybe I don't care as much these days.

Hogo

Unrespectable Member
Antisocial to the point of having bad hair and sloppy clothing, too lazy to make friends and grinded my credits so I could also go to an art school on the side, and yet much more creative and imaginative and driven than I am today. Got quietly narcissistic and thought myself above normal school during that half of the day, probably out of the insecurity that it was my only achievement.

Art school involved creative writing. It was frustrating because I was in it for fiction but my poetry was what got awards when we had to submit stuff from class to contests. That didn't signal any higher meaning for me or make me become a poet, good poetry is easier to write than good fiction is all.

Now I lack the self discipline to do any of that at all and adulthood has killed that part of me I worry.

I regret the antisocial aspects of those years but I don't dress like a slob unless I'm inside now. Progress.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
During my teenage years I was much more social, part of the middle and high school wrestling teams (and the band), still swam like crazy... actually fit and popular (and relatively smart too). I had friends in those days. I had a way to bounce back from the attack I suffered in 7th grade. Life felt good.

Things didn't collapse until I went to college, where I didn't have the same amount of control. The swimmers were a little more cutthroat, the classes were harder, the professors gave much more of an attitude (I dropped out of honors because of this). And not a whole lot of local support. My self-confidence dropped to the point where I developed what I now know is binge eating disorder.

It's taken me more than a decade to recover even a little bit from those college years. I'm not exactly 100% on my self-confidence and I flatly admit I may never get back to being like I was as a teen.

When I look back? Despite the wrestling team being my choice (I wanted volleyball like my brother, but was one of the two people cut from the team), I feel like most of my middle and high school years were forced on me. I did WAY more than I should have and my entire 20s were basically me paying the price for overdoing it growing up. Now, things are MY life and MY pace. I don't care about accomplishing big things for the time being. I just want my own footing. If I'm still going to accomplish something huge in my life it'll be in my late 40s or even my 50s, at earliest.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Just a quick, fun little set of questions for all the now adult furries of website!

What kind of teenager where you? Angsty? Directionless? Rebellious? Awkward? What sort of challenges were you faced with?

I was as I am now...fun loving happy and wild with a warped giggily view of the world, but slightly frustrated becasue I didn't know then what I know now. My challenges were social totally...I was feeling pressures to fit in with a worldview that I did not even respect (small town mentality and petty purposeful ignorance and narrow-mindedness celebrated, the total opposite of me!) and I was feeling struggles to show to others what I was capable of in a career. I also don't really relate well to others so I never "fit in" anywhere...it was only slightly later in teenage years that I realized how wonderful that freedom can be as opposed to restrictive, but at the time I was figuring it all out while observing hundreds of morons.

T

TemetNosce88

Painfully awkward. Cringy. Self-conscious. Just generally a weirdo. I wound up changing schools a few times within the same town (bouncing back and forth) so I was never able to develop good social skills and just hung around with groups of people who I told myself were my friends but who absolutely were not friends. I was obsessed with model trains and LARPing. Kept my 'teenage boy's first mustache' for longer than I should have.

You know, all of the things that really help with being a teenager. :)

What's changed? I'm considerably less awkward due to recognizing I probably have some Aspergers/Autism and taking steps to mitigate those things. Emotional maturity has helped, too. Still have a lot of trouble making friends and fitting in anywhere. I generally have more confidence now, but it probably helps that I aged well, plus being able to rock a full beard.

Still have a lot of baggage from that time to sift through and a lot of self-doubt and self-loathing to deal with, but it's a process.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Socially awkward. I had people I hung out with but never any really close friendships, and I was kind of okay with that because there wasn't anyone I really connected with. I was weird, a bit immature in the sense that I was still thinking about stories with animal characters while my peers were trying to be more "grown up" all the time.

I tended to form crushes on guys, much to their dismay.

I really wanted to fit in. . .but had nowhere to fit. Kind of a band/theatre nerd just because that's where most of the other weird kids congregated, but I wasn't talented enough to do much there. It was just sort of a social group to attach myself to.

D

Deleted member 111470

I haven't changed much. I was a depressed metalhead who likes video games, now I'm just depressed and I like youtube.

MischievousPooka

Artist, cosplayer, and of course a furry
I was somewhat social with my group of friends but I did draw a lot even when I was hanging out with friends back then. So an artsy teen. But I was not in any popular groups of people. But I was pretty clueless on fashion. And didn't wear what other teens did so I got made fun of for that. I am still pretty artsy and a lot of my friends are too so we end up drawing when we all hang out sometimes. But I do think I have better fashion sense now.

T

the sleepiest kitty

I had undiagnosed bipolar depression, so I would be either spazzy, annoying and random or moody, sad and edgelordy. I was also into wearing studded belts, chuck taylors and graphic tshirts. Yes, this was 2005-2010.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
I will be brief as I dont like giving details unless I am very comfortable with someone.

To make a long story short I had numerous psychological problems stemming from a severe bullying issue and a dad who was less than inhibited with his emotional outbursts. I was deeply depressed, self-loathing, and self-harming, anxious, introverted, and frankly thought little of myself and anything I wanted.

Had a small group of friends, never went out of line or got myself in trouble. But the ages of 11 to 16 were extremely rough, painful and lonely

MagnusLucra

I was the EMPEROR OF CRINGE!
Can you think of a cringy thing a teen might do?

I probably did it.

However I didn't give a shit, and I was always in a good mood, which would attract other "undesirable" people to me.
Leadership is in my blood, so I organized many clubs around nerdy activities.
Tolerance, and acceptance were always the foundation for any of my groups because I knew there were a lot of loners at my school, and if they came to one of my clubs, I knew I could get them to make friends.
My friend and I started a minecraft club in 2012, and we grew it to 40 people all bringing PCs to school having weekly LAN parties.
Anime club? I got you. Programmers club? Co-founded it. D&D? You guessed it.
My assault on normie culture continued through college topping out at a 60 person pathfinder club, but died there because I needed to get serious to get a job.

Kinda weird to think, but I think teen me had a better grip on life than I do now.

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
Arrogant, sensitive and ignorant, like every teenager, believing I could take on the world with my energy alone. Social outcast due to being different, something of which showed to be because of an introverted nature and having Autism. And like everyone else, learned through failing, making mistakes and experiencing things and over time connect various "dots" across various spectrums, templates and the utter chaos that is my own mind.

Looking back with the knowledge and understanding I have now I quite frankly wouldn't do anything differently if I had the chance as every experience, every failure, every mistake serve as a teaching tool.

Ember ;3

For me? Painfully awkward, self conscious, angry, and rebellious. I wasn't very social, and most of my attempts at being social were seeped with self doubt. That was probably my biggest flaw and part of why I came off as so awkward, I had very little confidence in myself, and always second guessed such little things. Like, if I sent an email or note to somebody on FA I liked and they didn't reply very quickly, I'd begin to convince myself that they really didn't want to talk much to me or interact much at all. "Surely, said person must not really want to bother talking to me, why would they?" Was often my internal monologue about those situations. I relied quite a bit on the approval of others.
Naturally that lack of confidence made me what you might call today as 'pretty fucking cringe'. Said a lot of cringy things, did a lot of cringy things. Anger at times motivated some of the things I said too. Said a lot of nasty things in anger or just general dissatisfaction or as you might have seen on my old forum tag "edgy teenage apathy'. Ayyy callback! Well maybe it was more, edgy teenage angst to be fair.

I tend to have a lot of shame when I look back on myself as a teenager, most of what I was then isn't too related to who I am now. Though, I suppose I still have an air of rebelliousness to myself. Though, I'd call myself more free spirited than rebellious now, which of course, comes with all the good and bad stereotypes you might generally associate with that trait.
I can also be a little edgy still at times, obviously I've toned that down quite a bit from my teen years, but it still comes up certainly. That's just what makes me, me in part. Whether that be for better or worse.

Probably the thing I am most thankful that changed was my lack of confidence. The amount of difference having confidence in yourself makes cannot be understated. Going from nearly eating myself alive from anxiety from how somebody might react to what I said, to relatively little anxiety or concern is genuinely life changing. It also naturally led to vastly improved social skills. Not being so angry at the world is pretty nice too, as is having some sort of life direction.

Anywho that's enough about me, tell me about you!
I feel the same*most of the time* I'm a 13 year old girl who everyone teases for being a furry, wish me luck!! -w-

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
Submissive. Submissive to the point I lost my ego and destination--oh wait, it's more like.. I didn't ever have any before.

I truly believed everything's gonna be fine as long as I obey, I was even taught so. But at one point, I got tossed to the society, and naturally, I had no preparation or resolution at all. I was... screwed. I had to go through multiple storms to find answers, to find myself. Losing everything I deared and what I anticipated to last.

Now it's already past the point I've became 18+, I've changed since that era, drastically, to the point no one shall expect the current me and the past me to be the same person. Now that I think of it, I suppose I can even be considered lucky not to be 'awaken' later than I did.
I think I've became far more conscious of my ego and my inner state, now I'm happier. UwU

Voden

Submissive. Submissive to the point I lost my ego and destination--oh wait, it's more like.. I didn't ever have any before.

I truly believed everything's gonna be fine as long as I obey, I was even taught so. But at one point, I got tossed to the society, and naturally, I had no preparation or resolution at all. I was... screwed. I had to go through multiple storms to find answers, to find myself. Losing everything I deared and what I anticipated to last.

Now it's already past the point I've became 18+, I've changed since that era, drastically, to the point no one shall expect the current me and the past me to be the same person. Now that I think of it, I suppose I can even be considered lucky not to be 'awaken' later than I did.
I think I've became far more conscious of my ego and my inner state, now I'm happier. UwU
There is nothing wrong with being submissive to a certain degree. It's done in every day life no matter where you go, you could also view it as "picking and choosing your battles". Sometimes it isn't worth the fight.

I'm glad to hear that you have made some personal progress and are happier!

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
There is nothing wrong with being submissive to a certain degree. It's done in every day life no matter where you go, you could also view it as "picking and choosing your battles". Sometimes it isn't worth the fight.

I'm glad to hear that you have made some personal progress and are happier!

Thankies! Now I'm a (kinda) proud self, and also a furry who learnt how to 'defend' against anti-furries or anything similar. UwU

Purrr~~♡

Voden

Thankies! Now I'm a (kinda) proud self, and also a furry who learnt how to 'defend' against anti-furries or anything similar. UwU

Purrr~~♡
Every bit of personal progress is important and should be celebrated. You should ALWAYS be proud of yourself for it!

This goes for every fur out there. Never let someone else take away your happiness due to lack of understanding or narrow-minded thoughts.

T

the sleepiest kitty

I was kinda spazzy, with undiagnosed Bipolar II disorder. My unregulated hypomania made the other kids at school wary of me, and even annoyed beyond belief with me. Most kids at school thought I was either mentally handicapped (not going to use that certain word) or just crazy. The few friends that I did have loved me to pieces.

I straightened my hair every day, which is not something I ever do now. I now let my hair have it's natural volumised wave.

I was obsessed with the band Mindless Self Indulgence, a band which I dislike now due to outgrowing their music style.

I loved the cartoons that were on Cartoon Network and the tv shows on Teen Nick. Drake and Josh was my absolute favorite show back then.

My favorite outfits consisted of studded belts, jeans and band t shirts. And Converse sneak--no... knock off Converse sneakers!

Tennet_G

Cup O' Depresso
I was a quiet kid. I had a couple of friends who I hanged out with regularly. My grades were sticking around A+ and A- up until my junior year.
I was very aimless in life. I had no passion, I just did things because I was told to do so. I started MLP around 13 but I transitioned to furry at around 16. I kept the sona though.

I kept my personal issues to myself. I never really opened up to anyone and no one, not even my friends really knew what I was into. Outwardly, I was just the smart, quiet kid. And then, between junior and senior, I was just the quiet kid since my grades dipped to around C's and D's because I grew so tired of just doing good in school just for the sake of family, who I could care less about. I believe I just stopped caring. I realized that I had no passion or lust for life as a teen and that really destroyed any future prospects I could have had like scholarships or relationships. I was very awkward, rarely ever reached out, and felt like life just wasn't worthwhile as a teen. I just saw life as one long grind fest between working and resting until the day you died and passions were just there to keep us here longer to keep us working. That was the path laid out for me after all. Just get good grades, become a doctor or lawyer, and work to pay college debt off, then pay for your parent's retirement, and then hopefully, pay for your own retirement before finally kicking the bucket.

I am still very much that tired, aimless kid who has grown disenchanted with what life has to offer and it's realities, but I still try to find joy, and throw myself headfirst into whatever, or whomever makes me feel alive. Usually with less than stellar results but I'm still learning my place in the world. I am still growing and I still feel like a teen despite approaching 22 now. I have grown and I no longer think life is that grind fest since I moved out from my parents but wow, I still have a long way to go before I fully differentiate myself between me now, and Teen me.