• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My new guitar

I

Ishnuvalok

Well after playing guitar for almost a year now I need a new guitar to fit my style. A few months back I got a new amp, a Vox AD30-VT XL. So now all I need is the guitar. Now I've been looking around at alot of guitars, and played alot of them. Now I want your opinions for which guitar to choose. I've narrowed it down to these four guitars.

The Jackson KV2

The Ibanez RG2550Z

The Jackson Kelly Pro

And last but not least, the Dean Dave Mustaine signature model.

Now I have played all of these and think that each and every one is a fantastic guitar, but I can't decide which one I should pick. I got a budget of about 1500 US Dollars.

My two friends who play guitar recomend another which the other doesn't recomend (One recomends the Jackson KV2 while the other recomends the Ibanez). So I'm a bit torn here. Now I want more opinions. I play thrash metal, stuff like Megadeth and Metallica. Currently I play on a Squire strat.

I don't know if this is the right section or not, as it said music I thought that it meant instrument discussion as well.

Tudd

. . . like Megadeth and Metallica.

Can those two be in the same sentence together? ;P

Personally I'd go for the KV2 if you can afford one. Reasons being, 1) I would never buy a signature guitar, just not my style. 2) Has the most "metal" look with the exception of the Dave signature. But, can you afford it?

You should consider what you're looking for in a guitar, and what little things you don't like such as a the limited tuning abilities of the floyd rose. You should also consider which one you think looks the best and what is most comfortable to play as well as the playibility of the fretboard etc. Consider all of the little things that might bug you about it.

If you're looking for advice as to what guitars to stay away from, then just try 'google'ing them if you havn't already. Hope this makes some sense.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Ack, you're getting one of those guitars with a Vox? One of these things does not belong. Although, if you get a nice distortion pedal, you can still be golden.

Anyway. I'd like to put in a good word for Schecters if you haven't checked them out already. If you're intent to stick with those four models, the signature model is out. Like Tudd, I would never get a signature guitar (maybe the exception being Alexi Laiho's model). I'd spring for the KV2 if you can really afford it. However, the only way you can really decide is by playing them all. Head down to your local Guitar Center or whatever and just spend a day (or two!) playing stuff.

If you think you're ready for a Floyd Rose trem, be my guest. I personally think they're a pain in the ass. Check out Kahler if you haven't already. I love my Hybrid. :3

Biggest thing is probably to not limit yourself. Play around and find something that works for you.

I

Ishnuvalok

Ack, you're getting one of those guitars with a Vox? One of these things does not belong. Although, if you get a nice distortion pedal, you can still be golden.

It's a really nice Vox, The amp is made for metal. It's the ADVT-XL, not the ADVT. It's an awesome amp for metal, and I play it with a Squire, and it still sounds kick ass.

I

Ishnuvalok

Did you get a chance to get down to your local guitar store again?

Yeah, They didn't have a Dean (they're kinda hard to find in sweden). But both the Ibanez and Jackson KV2 where awesome. But because I don't want to spend all my money at once on a guitar the Ibanez is in the lead, although I've found a new contestant, the Jackson Rhandy Rhoads.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Did you check out Schecters at all? :p I know I must sound like a fanboy, but they really are amazing guitars, especially considering their prices.

I

Ishnuvalok

Update, seems my dads got his hands on a couple of PRS guitars. I checked them out and from what I can see they're supposedly very good. But are they good for metal?

Tudd

I have no experience with PRS guitars so keep that in mind.

Based on what I've seen, as far as looks go, PRS seems to be aimed at more of a rock crowd. But you can really rock any type of guitar as a metal guitar. Paul Allender of Cradle of Filth has a signature guitar with PRS, but so does Santana. Again I don't really support the use of signature guitars so it really comes down to what you think is 'metal' enough.

TG.

merzbow
Did you check out Schecters at all? :p I know I must sound like a fanboy, but they really are amazing guitars, especially considering their prices.

31yioGqqu4L._SL500_AA250_.jpg

I <3 my Schecter

my suggestion: Dean Baby Z. thats what ive got, and its the best guitar ive ever played. its not that expensive, it looks fucking metal, its plays better than jackson and ibanez, and its shaped like jaymz' signature guitars from way back when. lol

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=519874&index=1 thats what ive got. ive got the laugh/cry masks decal up on the top left as well. :)

yes, schecters do sound good, im not saying they dont, ive played them before, and they do sound and play very well, but i still have to go with my Baby Z. ;)

Bryantacious

Bryantacious ^^
hr_tempestcust_wht.jpg

I <3 my schecter also

seriously give it a chance

but regardless, my first guitar was a squire strat, almost anything is an improvement lol

Bryantacious

Bryantacious ^^
I have no experience with PRS guitars so keep that in mind.

Based on what I've seen, as far as looks go, PRS seems to be aimed at more of a rock crowd. But you can really rock any type of guitar as a metal guitar. Paul Allender of Cradle of Filth has a signature guitar with PRS, but so does Santana. Again I don't really support the use of signature guitars so it really comes down to what you think is 'metal' enough.

the same goes with hardcore, my band's other guitarist stuck an EMG 81 and 85 into his telecaster and it is bitchin lol

Defender

the obvious identity
Any guitar can be a "metal" guitar. Tom Morello played a strat with single coil pups and made some of the heaviest riffs I've heard.

That being said: :9

thebeast76

Just a friendly robot
I may not know too much about guitars, but I'd go for the Dave Mustaine Dean. I DO know that Dean's are great guitars, the choice of musicians such as Dimebag Darrell of Pantera. So, I'd go for the Dean Mustaine.

Bryantacious

Bryantacious ^^
Any guitar can be a "metal" guitar. Tom Morello played a strat with single coil pups and made some of the heaviest riffs I've heard.

That being said: :9

yeah it really comes down to what the guitarist wants to play, my hardcore/experimental band's other guitarist plays a telecaster with single coil pickups and its heavy

although my guitar with its humbuckers makes a much fatter sound than his single coils which is preferred for heavier music

thats why i love my coil tap pickups, I can go back and forth depending on what i feel like playing

Bryantacious

Bryantacious ^^
D'awww, you make a good couple. :p

I may eventually get a picture of me and "my baby" up in a mugshots thread, even though I HATE most pictures of myself.

aw thankies but dont worry I have the same problem, I am noooot photogenic Dx

Diego117

ALLLBATROSSSSS!!!
Hey guess what?

rockinoutsmalleo4.jpg

I love my Schecter too!!! :)

But really what it boils down to is your own personal taste. You need to get your hands on as many guitars as possible before making a choice. When I was in the process of buying a guitar I went out and tried everything.

When I picked up that Schecter and played it, I fell in love with it. None of the other guitars I tried could compare. It was exactly what I was looking for. And it was pretty cheap! It was originally around $800-900 and I got it 50% off. And it was brand new! :D

For those that are wondering, Yes it does have a coil-tap.

TG.

merzbow
Love the finish on it ;)