• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My phone is useless to me thanks to jerkoffs spoofing my number!

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
My cell phone gets upwards of 3-5 calls and texts EVERY DAY at ALL HOURS from different numbers; most of which i'm sure are spoofs. i'm sure of this because i've gotten hundreds of calls from 555-5555 for instance and a small percentage of unsolicited calls and texts i get are from honest people returning calls that supposedly came from my number. i've had countless awkward conversations with literal children over text, trying to explain that we don't know each other, i didn't call them and my phone number was spoofed. Some of them think that i'm pranking them or they accuse me of being a telemarketer.

But you know what's the craziest thing i just learned, which cause me to vent like this?

i just got a legitimate voicemail from the employment office...

...from 5 5 5 - 5 5 5 - 5 5 5 5.

There's NO WAY of knowing which calls are legit anymore! i can't answer my own phone anymore. This sucks because even most legitimate callers refuse to leave a voice mail! if i don't recognize the number or if it's not in my contacts already, i simply don't answer. if i ever get an important or legitimate call, there's no way for me to know.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
My cell phone gets upwards of 3-5 calls and texts EVERY DAY at ALL HOURS from different numbers; most of which i'm sure are spoofs. i'm sure of this because i've gotten hundreds of calls from 555-5555 for instance and a small percentage of unsolicited calls and texts i get are from honest people returning calls that supposedly came from my number. i've had countless awkward conversations with literal children over text, trying to explain that we don't know each other, i didn't call them and my phone number was spoofed. Some of them think that i'm pranking them or they accuse me of being a telemarketer.

But you know what's the craziest thing i just learned, which cause me to vent like this?

i just got a legitimate voicemail from the employment office...

...from 5 5 5 - 5 5 5 - 5 5 5 5.

There's NO WAY of knowing which calls are legit anymore! i can't answer my own phone anymore. This sucks because even most legitimate callers refuse to leave a voice mail! if i don't recognize the number or if it's not in my contacts already, i simply don't answer. if i ever get an important or legitimate call, there's no way for me to know.

Geez, what a mess! Have you contacted the service provider about this? Sounds like you might need a new number, or maybe a new company, here. Or, a new phone, or, at this point, even a telegraph.

Well, sounds pesky, but good luck, here.

Last edited:

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Yeah get a new phone # and tell your legit contacts what it is.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

this situation reminds of this.
memes aside contact you phone carrier and get your number changed or fixed
c51.png

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
I get calls everyday from Solar USA or Solar Direct, whatever, and I tell them to stop calling me but they always end up doing so on another number

J

Junkerfox

I get calls everyday from Solar USA or Solar Direct, whatever, and I tell them to stop calling me but they always end up doing so on another number
Ive gotten scam calls before.
I always use my three magic words:
GO FUCK YOURSELF.
They did and aint been back since.
Sometimes you just gotta put people in their place.

PlusThirtyOne

There is that magicial red button that ends call. Just press it, there is no need to get pissed about some kid.
The "magical red button" only applies to the least of my problems. if you'd actually read the OP you might have understood that. With that said, i don't even keep my ringer on, let alone answer any calls. in the rare case that i DO end up talking or texting with a confused stranger, it's better to explain the situation so they can take action. Not responding or hanging up on them would be just as douchy as the asshats who're spoofing my number. Closure means they can confidently block my number.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 82554

That's what the block or contacts whitelist feature is for, sport.

PlusThirtyOne

That's what the block or contacts whitelist feature is for, sport.
Blocking numbers doesn't work. That's why cold callers SPOOF numbers. "Spoofing" means that the caller may be calling from ANY number but their signal tells me phone that they're calling from a false number. Blocking said number is useless because i'd be blocking the FAKE number.

it's like someone is ringing my doorbell with a mask on to hide their face. instructing my doorbell not to ring for some dick with a Pikachu mask isn't going to stop the same dick from coming back and trying again with a Fred Flintstone mask instead. Sure i can keep blocking Pikachus and Freds and any other masks all day long but there's more phone number combos than cartoon character masks. Blocking FAKE NUMBERS does nothing.

Also, the same -or similar- douchebags are ringing doors with PlusThirtyOne masks on so i keep getting strangers knocking on my door asking what i want as if i'd actually contacted them.

Why are people so fucking oblivious to this!? As if i haven't already tried the obvious. Goddamn, people. Use your brains and read the OP before you try "helping". Every other response i've gotten for this very issue (FAF and elsewhere) are telling me that i'm the idiot and that it's suuuuper easy to block telemarketers and spoofed calls. No. No it's not. That'ts the VERY reason they spoof numbers! if there is an easy solution, it's out of my hands at this point.

i don't know what to do because my phone is useless to me if i can't receive calls on it.

Yeah get a new phone # and tell your legit contacts what it is.

Also, NO. Getting a new number isn't going to help the problem because many other people in my area are having the same problem. At this point if i got a new number i would just be getting somebody's old one; more than likely a number that's already been tainted with the same spoofing bullshit.

Last edited:

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Blocking numbers doesn't work. That's why cold callers SPOOF numbers. "Spoofing" means that the caller may be calling from ANY number but their signal tells me phone that they're calling from a false number. Blocking said number is useless because i'd be blocking the FAKE number.

it's like someone is ringing my doorbell with a mask on to hide their face. instructing my doorbell not to ring for some dick with a Pikachu mask isn't going to stop the same dick from coming back and trying again with a Fred Flintstone mask instead. Sure i can keep blocking Pikachus and Freds and any other masks all day long but there's more phone number combos than cartoon character masks. Blocking FAKE NUMBERS does nothing.

Also, the same -or similar- douchebags are ringing doors with PlusThirtyOne masks on so i keep getting strangers knocking on my door asking what i want as if i'd actually contacted them.

Why are people so fucking oblivious to this!? As if i haven't already tried the obvious. Goddamn, people. Use your brains and read the OP before you try "helping". Every other response i've gotten for this very issue (FAF and elsewhere) are telling me that i'm the idiot and that it's suuuuper easy to block telemarketers and spoofed calls. No. No it's not. That'ts the VERY reason they spoof numbers! if there is an easy solution, it's out of my hands at this point.

i don't know what to do because my phone is useless to me if i can't receive calls on it.

Also, NO. Getting a new number isn't going to help the problem because many other people in my area are having the same problem. At this point if i got a new number i would just be getting somebody's old one; more than likely a number that's already been tainted with the same spoofing bullshit.

OK, I think you're out west, as I recall. Simply drive over here, to Maryland, and get a phone with a Baltimore area code, and you'll be all set. Very little spoofing and telemarketing here; the city is viewed as so poor, telemarketers do not bother trying to sell us stuff, because we have no money.

Problem solved.

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
Have a furry from else where mail you a new sim that's already activated.

Seriously if a person in a sodding Afgan cave can avoid the US military intelligence committee with a ten year old phone and a SIM card you can avoid spammers.

Look at other service providers which have strong signals. Find somebody who can get you a sim and number elsewhere or even from the local nearest large city. Or even opposite from the smallest town.

There's ways around this. If your number is roached then look around. With cellphones the area code doesn't need. To match. Mine states I'm 45 minutes to the south of where I am period and that's the way it came from the carrier.

So do some leg work to change your number or sim, or start hunting them down John wick style and enacting vengeance.

Otherwise suck it up butter cup.

D

Deleted member 82554

Giant wall of useless text.
You did happen to notice I also mentioned contacts whitelist, right? As in, to allow only people on your contacts list to ring you. If your phone is any decent it will support that feature. It's probably under a feature called "Priority Interruptions" or "Do Not Disturb".

Last edited by a moderator:

PlusThirtyOne

Short, concise statement that still manages to miss the point entirely.
That still doesn't address my problem any more than changing my ringtone would. i've already been screening calls manually in the off chance that the caller id might be someone important like my doctor (whose messages come from an automated system of different phone numbers) or friends with new phones are return calls from potential employers (as i'm still looking for work) or anybody else with legitimate business. ie: numbers not already in my contacts/whitelist. My gripe isn't with screening my calls; it's with the fact that i HAVE TO. Whitelisting numbers would be WORSE than blacklisting them. Also, even legitimate callers are coming up with fake caller id numbers as stated above so there's simply no way of knowing.

D

Deleted member 82554

That still doesn't address my problem any more than changing my ringtone would. i've already been screening calls manually in the off chance that the caller id might be someone important like my doctor (whose messages come from an automated system of different phone numbers) or friends with new phones are return calls from potential employers (as i'm still looking for work) or anybody else with legitimate business. ie: numbers not already in my contacts/whitelist. My gripe isn't with screening my calls; it's with the fact that i HAVE TO. Whitelisting numbers would be WORSE than blacklisting them. Also, even legitimate callers are coming up with fake caller id numbers as stated above so there's simply no way of knowing.
Solution: whitelist people you know that will call you. What other solutions do you have? Change your number? Unlist it? Only give it out to people you trust? Not seeing many options here.

PlusThirtyOne

Solution: whitelist people you know that will call you. What other solutions do you have? Change your number? Unlist it? Only give it out to people you trust? Not seeing many options here.

Did.

You.​

Not.​

Just.​

Read.​

My.​

Post.​

Mr.Fox?​

( LOL ) To be honest, i'm not exactly expecting solutions. i'm venting. i've never listed my number anywhere and even my number on my resume spells it out without any numbers.

D

Deleted member 82554

Did.

You.​

Not.​

Just.​

Read.​

My.​

Post.​

Mr.Fox?​

( LOL ) To be honest, i'm not exactly expecting solutions. i'm venting. i've never listed my number anywhere and even my number on my resume spells it out without any numbers.

Yes.

I.

Did.

Read.

Your.

Post.

What I'm saying is, people that are not on your contacts list are most likely those you don't want to hear form in the first place, correct? So get their number, put them on the list, make them priority only. That way you'll block anyone you don't want to hear from.

PlusThirtyOne

What I'm saying is, people that are not on your contacts list are most likely those you don't want to hear form in the first place, correct? So get their number, put them on the list, make them priority only. That way you'll block anyone you don't want to hear from.
i KNOW what you're saying but you're clearly not understanding what i am! ...or you're just ignoring it. LOL Whitelisting is WORSE than blacklisting numbers because even people i want/need to talk to call from numbers not on my contacts list. There is literally NO WAY i could psychically know what random-ass number my doctor's office is going to call me from or which potential employers are going to call me with interview offers. Whitelisting would be the same as blindly screening every call i get' something i already do. i already do it manually because if the caller id says "Providence" or "Company i emailed my resume to" or "Friends' names who're not in my contacts" i can answer the damn call.

i can't depend on anyone leaving a voicemail either because some people (like me) are pussies and don't like leaving messages.

D

Deleted member 82554

Then I see no other options, your just going to have to suck up this issue you're having.