• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

My second head build

New blog post chronicling my continuing adventures with my sophomore head build here.

I'm excited to be using my own resin head, one I sculpted, molded and cast myself, though it took a lot of fiddling to get it to work with DVC parts (nose, teeth, etc.) Someday I'd very much like to sculpt my own miscellaneous parts too.

Has anyone else here sculpted and cast their own resin heads? Or do you prefer foam and why? What kind of luck did you have using parts from another source, or do you make all your own stuff from scratch? Would love to hear!

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Good job on the sculpt! My old fursuit, retired now, was done from what was metal screening for gutters with some small vac-formed parts around the nostrils, eyes and lips. It was all held together with tie-wraps and mass amounts of hot glue.

The next one will be vac-formed abs plastic, slush resin or maybe 3D printed. Still trying to justify $3,000+ for the printer that would take eight hours or more to print one mask.

Thanks!!!

I've been wondering given 3D printing whether or not I'm wasting my time learning moldmaking. If printers cost $3,000 and take 8 hours to print a mask, then maybe I'm not!!

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
From what I've heard, there is a steep learning curve for 3D printing. Probably too steep for this old warhorse. Maybe after I've retired, I would have the time to try my hand at 3D.

3D printing might be okay for production but just making ones and twos, I'm not so sure it's cost effective. You would have to print a butt-load of mask bases to recoup your initial investment for the machine, the plastic printing media and maybe a new computer that could be dedicated to designing the 3D files.

Anyway, being able to sculpt from clay puts you ahead of the curve, I think.