• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

N00b question about tablets

Cozmo

Is there a screen on them or do you have to look at your computer screen? Im just thinking of getting one and id think that look at the PC screen and drawing would be too hard.

Cozmo said:
Is there a screen on them or do you have to look at your computer screen? Im just thinking of getting one and id think that look at the PC screen and drawing would be too hard.

Only the expensive Cintiq's have screens that you actually look at to draw. It's not hard at all to draw with the blank tablet. You draw on the screen, and never look at the tablet (hand-eye coordination). There's nothing of interest on the tablet to look at anyway. It's similar to how you play first-person shooters, but you don't look at how your hand is moving the mouse to make sure you're turning the right way.

Cozmo said:
... i kinda like being able see what im drawing. I suppose it takes prataice.

Try one out. You'll never go back. :D
As for seeing what you're doing, you can see the cursor moving on the screen and your brain is already wired to accept that cursor as being your pen in your hand. That's really all you need to see. I could talk about this forever, but it would just get abstract and nonsensical, so try one out.

Cozmo

moebius_wazlib said:
Cozmo said:
... i kinda like being able see what im drawing. I suppose it takes prataice.

Try one out. You'll never go back. :D
As for seeing what you're doing, you can see the cursor moving on the screen and your brain is already wired to accept that cursor as being your pen in your hand. That's really all you need to see. I could talk about this forever, but it would just get abstract and nonsensical, so try one out.

You can see the cursor? Ok that wins it. As long as i have some sort of indactor im fine. I think ill get a scanner first , then get a tablet.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=1083

Rhainor

Rawr.
moebius_wazlib said:
Only the expensive Cintiq's have screens that you actually look at to draw.

Random note: There's also "Tablet PC" laptops, where the screen can be turned around and closed with the screen on the outside, and it's touch-sensitive (comes with a stylus). I dunno how well it'd run a high-end image editing program like PhotoShop, but I'm sure you could get one that would handle it. Lots more expensive than a regular art tablet, though.

I plan on getting one of these at some point. Whenever I get any laptop, it's gonna have tablet/touchscreen functionality.