• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Name a word

Pinky

AKA Allie or Aouzy
I just started learning C and I got to say it's pretty fun to learn. I had to take a break from it though, a few days ago it was the only thing I could think of and it was driving me nuts.

AceAurora

Right now, I am learning Visual Basic. I know a little bit of C#, C++, and HTML. I mostly just dabble in programming languages, but I wanted to complete my AA so I needed a programing course.

Kosdu

Okay so I have to learn to program in c++....... It seems like someone took java and just made it into a giant clusterfuck, to be honest.

And visual studios sucks compared to jMonkey or any other thing I have used to write Java.

Edit:

Let me describe what it feels like.... Someone took java, shit all over it, threw it on the ground, picked it up, and chucked it at a wall made of fans.

Last edited:

Brass

Okay so I have to learn to program in c++....... It seems like someone took java and just made it into a giant clusterfuck, to be honest.

And visual studios sucks compared to jMonkey or any other thing I have used to write Java.

Edit:

Let me describe what it feels like.... Someone took java, shit all over it, threw it on the ground, picked it up, and chucked it at a wall made of fans.

C++ is objectively better than Java in every way. You might just be a shitty programmer.

Kosdu

C++ is objectively better than Java in every way. You might just be a shitty programmer.

I would like to know in what ways.

I'd been trying to do it for UE4, and what should have been a simple script taking me 5 minutes in Java was something I gave up on after 5 hours because the damn thing is not something you can look at and make sense of unlike Java.

It wasn't the interaction or structure, it was the frankly weird ways of doing things.
I wanted to create an instance of a class, which normally is new thingy();... However I was required to do some weird UE4 method with no documentation that was like ConstructObject<(class pointer thing)>( Class ).... But it wouldn't take any combination of my class, the class reference stuff that I've only seen in this language, or anything of the sort.

I just said fuck it and decided to use the Blueprint visual scripting system in there for the simple fact that I knew exactly how to do what I wanted, I just didn't want some weird ass bullshit getting in my way.

Schwimmwagen

I'm playing with Python right now, which is pretty fun.
I'm working through my book which is proving to make plenty of sense despite being a little challenging sometimes.

Pretty daunted at the thought of what I'd do after the book though. I don't wanna go learn Assembly or something, but I wanna make something small but nice independently.

ZerX

not a furry
I know vbscript and batch scripting. I had some knowledge with the older visual basic programming language (the pre .net ones) but I forgot most of it as I didn't do anything in vb for 10years.

foxiehkins

Software Engineer, Floof Butt.
Python predominantly. Ruby/Java if I'm forced to.

Current learning language is Node.js, as everyone in my office thinks it's a good language to write in.

Schecter

SkyNet Engineer
Well when you say programming language, I assume you mean compiled/assembled languages only. Since personally programming lang. != scripting lang.
Anyways, I'm proficient in C, C++, x86 Assembly, ARM Assembly, and Java. familiar with MIPS Assembly (from uni)
As for scripting, I know Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, AS(2/3). Also SQL on the DB side.
Some other things I know that I don't even feel count but I'll list them anyways :p HTML, Unix Shell scripting (Bash, Sh)
Also I made my own programming language similar to Tiny from my compilers course from uni

I've got a very basic understanding of C++ and very little C#. C++ was fun and I hope to further enjoy learning it in school. C# I wasn't very fond of; probably doesn't help I didn't have an instructor or class to meet up with, but I found it much harder and much less enjoyable to program with.

I'm quite fluent in GML, a programming language written for the game-creation program Game Maker Studio, and have at least 7 years of experience coding with it (back from when it was GM7 and GM8 ), though there's still much for me to learn. I've written a few games, my most recently completed and best one thus far being a Super Mario Bros 1 re-telling, which won a Fangame of the Month award on a Mario Fangames message board.

I'm in the process of designing a Pokemon RPG (starring a Riolu/Lucario rather than a human trainer) in GM Studio it right now; currently working on the pause menu and its many features. I'd post a video but I don't want people to think I'm being showy xP

FreyTheGryphon

Wrote a couple cool programs in my strongest language C#, wrote some stuff in visual basic for college, built a site with html and CSS, currently trying to learn C++ though am finding it tough, I guess if you consider blueprints to be a programming language I made a game in that.

Erzyal

Keeper of useless information
Sadly I only know a bit of Visual basic and a miniscule amount of C, I keep putting off learning HTML

Faustus

Hmm, lot of scripting languages (Python, Ruby) and markup languages (HTML) being mentioned, not so many true programming languages.

I've used a few in my time, but the ones I use regularly are Objective C and Swift (currently 1.2, looking forward to Swift 2.0). It's been a while but I've also used Blitz, Visual C, Cobol, Delphi, C++, C and a very small amount of Java. Wouldn't want to use those now though as I am very rusty and some of them - particularly Java - have probably changed a lot in the meantime. I don't even know if Delphi still exists!

Faustus

What do people even use lua for? I've yet to run into it.
It's a scripting language rather than a true programming language, and is mostly used to control the content of games, i.e. describing the behaviour of enemies or the layout of levels. Used in quite a lot of high-profile titles, including WoW and Angry Birds if the Internet is to be believed. It's not a programming language though and requires an interpreter to operate.

-F

Maugryph

It's not a programming language though and requires an interpreter to operate.

LUA, and PYTHON are'programming' languages, they just use an interpreter and act as an intermediary between programs instead of being compiled into an excutable (Python can do BOTH btw). They follow the same logic and syntax as any other programing languages and are just as useful. There are quite a few game engines that use LUA.