• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Nastiest Thing you’ve Seen/Smelt/etc.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
People forget that people actually live in the city. There are also a lot of calm quiet corners that are actually tolerable. This is where a lot of homeless people flee to to find space for themselves, so you see them a lot. They also commute into the city to beg for money.

I wouldn't call it callousness. I've been in crowds where something really big is happening. I think, individually, people are afraid of the consequences of doing something. I myself have not given money to someone because I'm afraid I might be cornered or caught off guard while I'm trying to get my wallet out. Plenty of times.
Theres also this feeling that, when you're in a crowd, someone more qualified would go and help. Thats not your job and you could make it worse. However, and like I've described, I reported things to police and his response was "it will take care of itself".
That particular incident was a few years ago, and I'm starting to see more notices about being vigilant, about telling authorities the things that you see. And you're starting to see more police and MTA (mass transit system) workers with training to deal with this stuff.

It's getting better. It's just a lesson in not keeping your head down.

I always give money to the homeless. I once went to an ATM and gave a guy £100 because he needed it more than I did, and I am dirt poor. I always make a habit of sitting down to chat with homeless people too. Living on the street fucking sucks and it is the duty of everyone to lend a helping hand to those poor souls.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I always give money to the homeless. I once went to an ATM and gave a guy £100 because he needed it more than I did, and I am dirt poor. I always make a habit of sitting down to chat with homeless people too. Living on the street fucking sucks and it is the duty of everyone to lend a helping hand to those poor souls.
I have done things in the past, given food out of my purse. However, one, I don't let my right hand know what the left one is doing. Two, there are *so* many homeless on the street that you'll encounter in NYC it's easy to become desensitized to it. Further, giving someone a dollar isn't going to solve systemic issues.

I think the better thing to do in the face of something this systemic is to start holding the right people accountable. There are a lot of anti-homelessness measures that are cruel, including having spikes on places to rest on the sidewalks. There aren't any public restrooms available that you don't pay for some how. It's so cruel and unforgiving, you see people on the street deteriorate over time, until you don't see them any more.

I was talking to someone about homeless shelters awhile back and they're equally as bad. A lot of them prey upon people in order to meet certain quotas. So if you are staying at one, there are many machinations in place to keep you there instead of getting you back on your feet.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I have done things in the past, given food out of my purse. However, one, I don't let my right hand know what the left one is doing. Two, there are *so* many homeless on the street that you'll encounter in NYC it's easy to become desensitized to it. Further, giving someone a dollar isn't going to solve systemic issues.

I think the better thing to do in the face of something this systemic is to start holding the right people accountable. There are a lot of anti-homelessness measures that are cruel, including having spikes on places to rest on the sidewalks. There aren't any public restrooms available that you don't pay for some how. It's so cruel and unforgiving, you see people on the street deteriorate over time, until you don't see them any more.

I was talking to someone about homeless shelters awhile back and they're equally as bad. A lot of them prey upon people in order to meet certain quotas. So if you are staying at one, there are many machinations in place to keep you there instead of getting you back on your feet.

I think housing should be free. I used to live in London and it's terrible, full of perfectly good, empty (but stupidly expensive) houses with homeless people crashing in the street outside. It's cheaper for the government to give free housing and money to the poor. Keeps the economy working or some such.

I'm sorry for being preachy. I just want to encourage as many people as possible to care about homelessness.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I think housing should be free. I used to live in London and it's terrible, full of perfectly good, empty (but stupidly expensive) houses with homeless people crashing in the street outside. It's cheaper for the government to give free housing and money to the poor. Keeps the economy working or some such.

I'm sorry for being preachy. I just want to encourage as many people as possible to care about homelessness.
Its not being preachy if you're passionate about something.
A state here in the US started giving out free housing. One of those square states in the middle, I think. I forget which one. But they found that it saved the state A LOT more money because they didn't have homeless people coming into the ER from overexposure and other things.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
i think i've told the story on FAF once.

After high school i got a job cleaning repo'd houses and trailers, seized by banks and private companies. Our job was to remove the tenants' left-behind furniture and messes, mow and clean up the front lawn and dispose of everything.
Often we would find shelves of DVDs, video games, electronic, toys and other things that we "cleaned up" by stashing them in our cars. Since it was all repo'd and destined for the landfill anyway, nobody cared (or noticed) if items of value didn't make it to the landfill. That is the ONLY REASON i kept that job for so long. The heartbreaking truth why i left the job however, is all the left-behind pets we found. Dogs, cats, birds, caged rodents, etc. All abandoned and left to rot, locked in the basement or shut in a room. Needless to say it was all rather gross and upsetting. Sadly, not even worth the $30/hr...

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Baby poop that had eaten too many pistachios.

I used to love those but after a few messy pistachio diapers even the sight of them makes me queasy anymore. So gross...

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
Once my brother left a pot of cooked noodles in a covered cooking pot on the stove. After a week they went furry and started writhing around. Oh god, the smell...

I asked him why he hadn't thrown them away and he said "I'm scared of them."

Shoggoth_by_Nottsuo.jpg

Tekeli-li

Shadow of Bucephalus

Banned
Banned
As many already mentioned, 'Sewage' is particularly obscene.
I hate the reek of rotting flesh, even more. If it's flesh attached to a LIVING creature, I STILL get the heebie-jeebies from some of the things I witnessed/experienced during my years in the animal health field. (and the human health field, namely: dead bodies/autopsies/etc..).
One incident I haven't been able to shake, even after 30 years, was a Vet having to physically remove the decaying bodies of puppies that had died in the Bitch's womb (one pup became lodged in her uterus during birth, and the oh-so-wise human owners didn't DO anything about it, for over THREE DAYS (of her trying to give birth to the rest of the litter.). Seeing pieces of decaying puppies laying on the tray as the Vet continued to cut and remove them from the mother's body has never left me.

now I gonna have nightmares.

again...

yay

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
One incident I haven't been able to shake, even after 30 years, was a Vet having to physically remove the decaying bodies of puppies that had died in the Bitch's womb (one pup became lodged in her uterus during birth, and the oh-so-wise human owners didn't DO anything about it, for over THREE DAYS (of her trying to give birth to the rest of the litter.). Seeing pieces of decaying puppies laying on the tray as the Vet continued to cut and remove them from the mother's body has never left me.

That's the most awful thing I've ever heard. :( Poor dog.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
God I just remembered. If you cook baked beans and don't clean out the saucepan, it bloody stinks the next day!

also, @Astusthefox I didn't forget that you stink bad.

Yep! He helps keep up that smelly fox image very well indeed! :p